Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to TitusTroy

Premium Member

to TitusTroy

Re: [IMG] 1.9 Likes / Dislikes & Bugs

said by TitusTroy:

not really a 1.9 issue but anyone know why the FF/Rewind function is so slow in VOD compared to recorded programs?...in VOD you can only FF/RW in 2X speed and it's slow as hell to get to the end of a program...why isn't there a faster speed option in VOD?

Because, for some insane reason, Verizon decided to make FiOS VOD work like the VOD on every other cable system in the country, which is limited to 2x speed.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by UnnDunn:

Because, for some insane reason, Verizon decided to make FiOS VOD work like the VOD on every other cable system in the country, which is limited to 2x speed.

..Which most likely is favored by the content providers, unless, of course, they are able to stop "FF" altogether.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by miataman:

said by UnnDunn:

..Which most likely is favored by the content providers, unless, of course, they are able to stop "FF" altogether.

I don't think it's "favored" by the content providers -- it's REQUIRED by them.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy

said by miataman:

said by PJL:

I don't think it's "favored" by the content providers -- it's REQUIRED by them.

most VOD has no commercials so FF/RW really should have no impact on the content provided...I usually watch most of my content through recorded programs so when I was FF something the other night on VOD I forgot just how slow it was

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by TitusTroy:

most VOD has no commercials so FF/RW really should have no impact on the content provided...I usually watch most of my content through recorded programs so when I was FF something the other night on VOD I forgot just how slow it was

They may be "light" on commercials, but they heavily cross-promote their other shows.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to TitusTroy

to TitusTroy
said by TitusTroy:

And if you want to use FOX VOD (for their broadcast shows) they actually show them with ALL the original commercials and they have FF disabled - what a PITA.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

joe01880 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
so whats next, when is 1.9.1 suppose to be sent out and is there any talk of whats after that 2.0 or what? Whats in the wind ya all?
Where are the 4 or 5 tuner DVR's?

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I found out this evening that I could essentially "customize" my VOD menus, by creating bookmarks for Folders, instead of individual programs. By putting my most-used network HD folders there, I can jump more readily to what I like.
miataman

miataman to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I never thought I would use the "play all" feature, but 2 things happened. After an early morning scheduled reboot, I found that a "Frontline" episode was split in 2, thereby being placed in a folder. By using "play all" the stitching of the 2 parts was much better than if I had to do it manually (not instantaneous, but close to it).

The other item has to do with the way some programs start and end "off-time" without the schedule knowing. Watching 2 recorded episodes of "Pawn Stars", I was actually able to show the ending of the 1st episode almost as it was meant to be seen, instead of at the head of a separately started 2nd episode. By extending only the end of the 2nd episode by 1 minute, I was able to more fully enjoy both.
DaveR5
join:2007-07-17

DaveR5

Another pet peeve: when multiple DVR recordings exist for the same show, it's great that the menu puts them into a folder. However, it should list the oldest first, not the newest.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by DaveR5:

Another pet peeve: when multiple DVR recordings exist for the same show, it's great that the menu puts them into a folder. However, it should list the oldest first, not the newest.

Maybe, but that's just the way the IMG stores everything in the DVR Menu anyway, the oldest on bottom, newest on top, not just the folders.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to DaveR5

to DaveR5
said by DaveR5:

I disagree...I think FiOS is doing it right (TiVO also sets up folders this way)...newest makes more sense to go on top

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to DaveR5

Premium Member

to DaveR5
said by DaveR5:

agreed
However on a "play all" it will play the oldest first.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

johnf2 to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

said by DaveR5:

Maybe, but that's just the way the IMG stores everything in the DVR Menu anyway, the oldest on bottom, newest on top, not just the folders.

DVR menu order: Newest on the Top, Oldest on the Bottom. Makes it easy to see the newest, current recordings.
ksalper
join:2002-11-15
West Orange, NJ

ksalper to miataman

to miataman
I'd very much prefer if "play all" let you choose to play oldest first, newest first, or random order, which would be especially handy with folders full of shows for the kids.

There's an idea post about this, but it got very little notice when posted.
DaveR5
join:2007-07-17

DaveR5 to TitusTroy

to TitusTroy
said by TitusTroy:

I disagree...I think FiOS is doing it right (TiVO also sets up folders this way)...newest makes more sense to go on top

If I record a series, I always want to watch the episodes in order.

Seems to me the best solution is to add a Setting to control the sort order. Then we'll both be happy

WAW
@lightpath.net

WAW to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
I notice that everytime TV turned on I have to choose hd or sd tv. Very annoying anyway to get rid of this?

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I like having the "tune channel" option on the info menu for a future program. Sometimes the future is just a few minutes!

syrgeek
join:2009-06-04
Syracuse, NY

syrgeek to WAW

to WAW
said by WAW :

I notice that everytime TV turned on I have to choose hd or sd tv. Very annoying anyway to get rid of this?

It will prompt you every time the stb, not the tv, is turned on until you make a selection. If you exit or do not properly make a selection on the first run screen it will come back until you do.
Torrid Zone
join:2009-06-13
Carmel, NY

Torrid Zone to More Fiber

to More Fiber
My 7232 does not record entire programs in 1.9. It starts a minute or two into a show or movie and ends a minute or two before the program ends. This didn't happen in 1.8.

WAW
@prohealthcare.com

WAW to syrgeek

Anon

to syrgeek
Thanks for answering. I do make the selection but comes up each and every time. Never happened before 1.9 upgrade.
Only happens on my new 7232 box.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe to ZNYGUY

to ZNYGUY
said by ZNYGUY:

I want predictive text put back into search. Who had the bright idea of taking that out anyway?

It never did yield *all* the reuslts of the search you put in.. it was essentially broken- and they didn't want to invest the time to 100% fix it.

there are several threads in the forum..

George in NY
@verizon.net

George in NY to dcborn61

Anon

to dcborn61
Pause bug. Have done resets we shall see. Watching DVR recording must exit and restart program. Freezes as well trying to fast forward or reserves seems to be hit at program to commercial area. If live must change channel to restart play.
spider1225
join:2009-01-26
Tewksbury, MA

spider1225 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Now that it seems that all standard def channels are upconverted to high def, the aspect ratio function on my tv is no longer available. I can no longer zoom letterboxed shows so I have a black bar around the entire picture.

It would be nice to have a zoom feature on the Verizon box to cure this problem. I've changed the sd override to 480p, but it's not real convenient and the guide gets all messed up when that happens.

Has anyone else done anything else?

tom976
@verizon.net

tom976 to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
I used the VOD tonight. When you stop or pause it, it resets it.
Resume just equates to, start over from the beginning. What's up with that. Sure you can FF at 2x but that takes 10 - 15 minutes when you are near the end of a movie.
zacojam
join:2003-01-13
Massapequa, NY

zacojam to More Fiber

to More Fiber
My only complaint is that the Info bar is too big. It now takes up half the screen.

Otherwise, I am fine with the upgrade, colors, etc.
doncoolio
join:2005-07-18
Yucaipa, CA

doncoolio to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Dislike the lack of CEC.
Dislike the problems passing through HDMI to TV when my surround receiver is turned off.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by doncoolio:

Dislike the lack of CEC.
Dislike the problems passing through HDMI to TV when my surround receiver is turned off.

On my receiver, I'm able to have it pass HDMI even if the receiver is off by setting it to do so. Suggest you try to find an HDMI-pass through setting on your receiver and have it do so. This "dislike" is not an STB thing, IMHO.
doncoolio
join:2005-07-18
Yucaipa, CA

doncoolio

I have the same the same ability on two receivers. They both pass through every other device I own. I would consider this a STB thing.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

2 edits

joe01880

said by doncoolio:

I have the same the same ability on two receivers. They both pass through every other device I own. I would consider this a STB thing.

I have a Yamaha RX-V667 and audio and video pass through with the reciever off with out issue. You may want to look at the settings in whatever surround sound "reciever" you are using or check its owners manual to see if it will pass through audio and video while tunred off.