spc
Search similar:

uniqs
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned)

Comcap and AT&Trash

LOL, that is EPB's competition? The worst cable company and the worst telecom company in the United States?

AT&T's pitiful 24/3 Mbps connections and Comcast's low monthly bandwidth caps that restrict you to using your connection at an average speed of 1 Mbps no matter what tier you subscribe to?

No wonder they're scared shitless. EPB Fiber is offering a steak and AT&T/Comcast are offering a piece of gum for the same price.

More cities should follow Chattanooga's lead and hand Comcast and AT&T's asses to them.

keithps
Premium Member
join:2002-06-26
Soddy Daisy, TN

keithps

Premium Member

And let me tell you, life is rough for $70/month. I should note I've never been able to get more than 30Mb/s upload on test servers, even though I've got over 45Mb/s on torrents. Additionally, between my roommate and myself, we easily use 400-500GB bandwidth a month, up and down. We even managed to use 1.2TB one month, about 900GB of it was upstream, and so far, no nastygrams.

mist668
join:2011-02-15
Middleburg, PA

mist668

said by keithps:

And let me tell you, life is rough for $70/month. I should note I've never been able to get more than 30Mb/s upload on test servers, even though I've got over 45Mb/s on torrents. Additionally, between my roommate and myself, we easily use 400-500GB bandwidth a month, up and down. We even managed to use 1.2TB one month, about 900GB of it was upstream, and so far, no nastygrams.

[att=1]

I will never see anything that fast ever where I live in rural PA. Fastest I can get right now is verizon dsl 3/786

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix

LTE wireless... someday.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to 45612019

to 45612019
other cities have actual priorities and actually serving their cities the way they should; focus on providing higher quality of water, and other essential needs; such as fire/ems rescue and police services instead of wasting money building out some FTTH network; hoping to be out of the red in 10 years.

And now many states have laws that state Cities are NOT allowed to get into these businesses and WASTE money due to the ones that decided to get into BPL or FTTH and FAILED and still owe thousands of dollars to these projects.

I can tell you at least 2 of those projects in Ohio that failed with more on there way. And the one was sold to Cinci Bell for pennies.
45612019 (banned)
New York, NY

45612019 (banned)

Other cities know how to actually manage their budgets and infrastructure so they can have high quality water, fire/EMS, police, AND a fiber network without going bankrupt! I know, shocking.

I thought America was supposed to be "the greatest country in the world!" And then the brainwashed nationalists who spout that go on in the next sentence to talk about all the things America can't do because it doesn't have enough "resources" or money. So much for the "greatest country in the world" right?

The Scandinavian countries, Japan and South Korea certainly didn't cry this much. They put up and rolled out fiber alongside their solid water, police, fire/etc infrastructure.

It seems like nothing can get accomplished in the United States anymore. The days of Hoover Dam projects and moon expeditions are over. A key sign of a failing empire. It seems like all America can spend its money on these days is war toys.

keithps
Premium Member
Soddy Daisy, TN

keithps to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
According to EPB's last financial report: »www.epb.net/flash/annual ··· port.pdf

It looks, best I can tell, that the fiber business is already profitable for them.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to 25139889

to 25139889
Your city is almost certainly spending 10s or 100s of millions on projects that produce no value, not even to all those lazy fat cops and firemen.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
Name them and provide references. I've heard of many muni-nets that were sued, or lobbied into oblivion, but none that collapsed under their own weight.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

Clyde, Ohio bankrupt BPL network; State law blocked them building another network using FTTH.

The other Cincinnati bought- Lenanon: »www.google.com/url?sa=t& ··· 6AItsjcw

Those are just TWO in Ohio.
Arty50
Premium Member
join:2003-10-04

Arty50

Premium Member

BPL was a non-starter. The city picked the wrong horse. FTTH however is a proven technology that they could have rolled out successfully.

That Heartland article is a joke too. "The failure of Lebanons telecommunications business illustrates why governments should not compete with private enterprise." That's utter hogwash, but I would expect nothing less from an organization such as the Buckeye institute. Someone should teach them about this thing called statistics. One failed muni cable operation does not make a sample. On the contrary, there are a multitude of municipal cable and broadband networks across the country that provide excellent service to their constituents at reasonable prices.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

Your city is almost certainly spending 10s or 100s of millions on projects that produce no value, not even to all those lazy fat cops and firemen.

you certainly are obtuse.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to cramer

MVM

to cramer
said by cramer:

Name them and provide references. I've heard of many muni-nets that were sued, or lobbied into oblivion, but none that collapsed under their own weight.

iProvo (not dead yet, but not making enough profit to survive without heavy taxpayer subsidies): »reason.org/news/show/100 ··· 992.html

Philly muni-wifi: »arstechnica.com/gadgets/ ··· dark.ars

Portland muni-wifi: »MetroFi Antennas Could Cost $60,000 to Remove [39] comments

Utah's Utopia has also been blowing through taxpayer subsidies for years with no hope of becoming profitable anytime soon: »www.connorboyack.com/blo ··· hing-but

Of course, it's much easier for muni networks to not collapse when they can just go to the taxpayer well to get funding for operations, and every citizen is forced to pay for it whether they subscribe to the service or not.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
said by 25139889:

Clyde, Ohio bankrupt BPL network

Lenanon...

BPL. 'nuf said. They might as well've tried starting a dialup ISP.

Lenanon is a great example of how *not* to plan and run a business. When you forecast taking 90% of an established market and hit about half that target, your venture is doomed. No amount of "government cheatiness" can save you there.
said by SpaethCo:

iProvo (not dead yet, but not making enough profit to survive without heavy taxpayer subsidies)

iProvo is another interesting case. All things considered, they aren't losing money as bad as a lot of companies -- the bad part is where the additional funding keeps coming from ("tax payers", actually the city electric company... just like other companies, one venture being propped up by another.) While they're posting losses, they aren't making any headway on paying back the initial investors.

Provo, UT is also a good lesson to learn from... the muni "wholesale fiber" business will not make consumer prices substantially lower than the incumbent networks. Here you have *two* companies trying to eek out a living. One is actively trying to make a profit. The other (city) has to make some sort of profit to payoff the initial investment. (it doesn't help that they failed at running a cable network, too.)

It really isn't a surprise to see Muni-Wifi fail. WiFi just isn't a sustainable media for broadband. In your house, yes. In the local coffee house, sure. Across an entire city... that's a nearly unending sh**load of problems.

Thanks for point those out. Those sort of things rarely hit the front page of the internet, as it were. That just proves idiots can ruin any business, even a government business.

AdamAnon
@comcast.net

AdamAnon to 45612019

Anon

to 45612019
You do realize file sizes don't magically get bigger just because your speed is quicker right?

Most people don't just download dozens of films they're not going to watch just because they can.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to 45612019

to 45612019
"More cities should follow Chattanooga's lead and hand Comcast and AT&T's asses to them."

Yes, That's a fantastic idea. While we are at it let's put our tax dollars toward putting small business out of business! Government has no business trying to put privately owned businesses out of business. Yet, EPB is doing that very thing by selling services at a loss or by flat out lying to customers to win business.
battleop

battleop to keithps

to keithps
That's not the complete picture. It's easy to make your financials look good when you can bury costs in the power side of the house.

keithps
Premium Member
Soddy Daisy, TN

keithps to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Well I'm sorry that EPB is messing up your business. However, as a consumer, I'm glad they're around. I don't care if they shave a little off the power side to keep it profitable, its worth it to me. Considering where I live AT&T isn't even an option, and wireless coverage is pathetic, I'm thrilled to have an option besides Comcast.

battleop

battleop

The local providers would not have such a bitter taste in their mouth if EPB would sell us the same services that they sell any one else. We are not even asking for wholesale pricing just sell it to us the same services they would sell anyone else at the same price.
TheGuvnor9
join:2006-06-23
Beverly Hills, CA

TheGuvnor9 to keithps

to keithps
I hate you....LOL
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to battleop

to battleop
Build your own and then charge yourself whatever you want.

Isn't that the "calling card" of all you guys when consumers complain of a lack of obtainable services at a speed/price they are willing to spend?

Now you are going to come here and whine because you can't get their services and you are in the business of providing them?

Boo Freaking Hoo!
45612019 (banned)
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to battleop

to battleop
I agree, we should put our tax dollars towards putting business out of business.

The private sector has been given decades and over $200 billion in tax incentives to establish competent communications infrastructure in the United States. Typical greed from corporate suits derailed this of course.

Time to bring in the government to boot these corporate fatcats out. I'm tired of a handful of greedy "for profit" citizens ruining vital infrastructure for the other 300 million Americans in this country. The underlying telecommunications infrastructure and healthcare industry needs to be put into the government's hands, not a select few executives trying to squeeze every penny out of their fellow citizens.

battleop

1 recommendation

battleop

Fuck it.... Why not spend our tax dollars on subsidizing groceries, gas, and any thing else that cost more than we think it should cost. What we need is more government spending. Let's just work our way to a 110% taxation so we can pay for all of our wants instead of our needs.

No, large corporations like AT&T and Verizon have been given billions in tax incentives. I challenge you to find a SMALL business in the ISP sector that has been receiving this "$200 Billion in tax incentives." In fact I believe that you will find that these SMALL businesses have to pay into funds that go back to the ILEC that they can not use.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to mix

to mix
Dont forget LTE will have caps so it wont take along for you blow way them caps on the LTE SPEEDS!!!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to keithps

MVM

to keithps
Most speedtest.net servers won't do more than 30Mbps. I have problems getting most of them to go past 30 up at work. They have no problems with maxing the 100Mbps port out though!
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to 45612019

to 45612019
Japan is able to roll out their entire network with no problems due to all of the US $$$ going there for electronics we buy.

Plus they're able to roll out fiber due to they have more people per square mile than the US does.

25139889 (banned) to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
agree but Fireman are NOT fat- LoL.

25139889 (banned) to keithps

to keithps
the FTTH network can NOT be profitable nor can the city. IRS Law.

25139889 (banned) to Arty50

to Arty50
still a failed project for both.

And Cinci had a great BPL network with Current.

25139889 (banned) to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
Also if search the Toledo Blade long enough for MetroFi you'll see that it also failed before the project was up and running. All tax payer money spent on that.