spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

smc1962

@208.168.226.x

[Equipment] Vonage is "upgrading" my equipmt.; what ar

WRT54GPT2 (Linksys Wireless router) is being upgraded to VONAGE router VDV22. They tell me it should improve my service but I will lose the wireless capability. What should be the configuration if I want to continue to use the Linksys router along with the VDV22? What better/newer wireless router should I get instead? Will a new router allow me to configure other VOIP services to use along with VONAGE? Is it worth it trying to unlock the old Linksys router? Obviously I am new at this and need lots of help. Thanks to anyone with expertise, time, and patience.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Re: [Equipment] Vonage is "upgrading" my equipmt.; wha

If you want to avoid the expense of purchasing a new wireless router or wireless access point, you should be able to continue to use the WRT54GPT2 as only a wireless access point (and switch) by connecting its LAN interface to the new VDV22's LAN interface, and connecting the rest of your LAN equipment to the WRT54GPT2's LAN interface.

The main gotcha would be that I think the default LAN IP address used by both devices is the same (192.168.15.1), so you would need to change the LAN IP address on the WRT54GPT2 to something else such as 192.168.15.2 (they both will need to be on the same IP subnet). Another gotcha is that you will need to disable the DHCP server in the WRT54GPT2 because you can't have two DHCP servers running on the same network segment. The WAN (internet) interface of the WRT54GPT2 should not be connected to anything, and it should be set for the default setting to use DHCP (I would suggest doing a pushbutton factory default reset on the WRT54GPT2 before setting it up as a wireless access point).

Here is a link to a site FAQ with some generic instructions explaining what to do (just substitute your own values): »Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

smc1962

@208.168.226.x

Thanks for your prompt response. It seems pretty straight forward. I will check the FAQ, hopefully my other questions are answered there as well.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Did you get your issue fixed?

Here's a pretty good way to set it up as NetFixer held my hand to set up my VDV22 behind my Linksys wireless router. Everything has worked perfectly since then. At least I think it is what you're trying to do.

»Adapter behind router setup

For some reason, I kept wanting to use Charters DNS servers in the router or adapter, I forget which, is why that turned into such a long winded thread!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by cork1958:

Did you get your issue fixed?

Here's a pretty good way to set it up as NetFixer held my hand to set up my VDV22 behind my Linksys wireless router. Everything has worked perfectly since then. At least I think it is what you're trying to do...

The reason I did not suggest that the OP put the new VDV22 behind the old WRT54GPT2 is because the WRT54GPT2 is a Vonage router, and I was concerned that having cascaded Vonage routers might create a problem (especially if Vonage kept it assigned to the OP's account). I remember that one time I temporarily used a Vonage router behind another Vonage router (because my primary router went belly up), and I kept having problems with the Vonage service on both adapters. By using the old WRT54GPT2 as strictly an access point (with its WAN interface connected to nothing), its onboard Vonage VoIP functionality should be nullified since the VoIP connection always uses the Vonage router's WAN interface.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

cork1958
Cork
Premium

"The reason I did not suggest that the OP put the new VDV22 behind the old WRT54GPT2 is because the WRT54GPT2 is a Vonage router"

How is that WRT54GPT2 a Vonage router? It's a Linksys just like mine, albeit much older and only wireless g, and that's the same adapter I have.

Here I go again. Getting confused as heck on this type issue!

I know you know what you're talking about, but I don't!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by cork1958:

"The reason I did not suggest that the OP put the new VDV22 behind the old WRT54GPT2 is because the WRT54GPT2 is a Vonage router"

How is that WRT54GPT2 a Vonage router? It's a Linksys just like mine, albeit much older and only wireless g, and that's the same adapter I have...

I am taking the OP's word that the current Vonage router that is being "upgraded" to a VDV22 is the WRT54GPT2 that was mentioned in the original post.

WRT54GPT2 (Linksys Wireless router) is being upgraded to VONAGE router VDV22.

I am also assuming that the router is probably a WRT54GP2 model, since that model was used by Vonage. Here is a link to the Vonage support web page for that router: »support.vonage.com/app/answers/d···a_id/874

I don't recall that you mentioned what kind of router you had in front of your VDV22, but if I had known it was a VoIP router, I might not have given the advice to put the VDV22 behind it.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

cork1958
Cork
Premium

OK. I see where you're coming from now that I there is a difference in model numbers of routers WRT54GPT2, WRT54GP2, or is that a typo?

I have a Linksys E2000 with Tomato firmware. No big thing about the previous advice as it's been working perfectly since back then!
--
The Firefox alternative.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by cork1958:

OK. I see where you're coming from now that I there is a difference in model numbers of routers WRT54GPT2, WRT54GP2, or is that a typo?

I have no way of knowing since I can't see the OP's router. To my knowledge Vonage only used the WRT54GP2, but that does not mean that there was not perhaps a limited production run that was labeled WRT54GPT2. I am assuming that it is a typo, but it really does not matter because either way it would be a Vonage wireless VoIP router, and that is why I did not suggest continuing to use it as a primary router with the VDV22 behind it (based on my own experience with cascaded Vonage VoIP routers).

said by cork1958:

I have a Linksys E2000 with Tomato firmware. No big thing about the previous advice as it's been working perfectly since back then!

In that case, this entire sub thread has been a waste of time, since the OP's router is not "just like yours".
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

cork1958
Cork
Premium

The main part where you lost me at then is how are either of those routers Vonage routers? They are 2 separate models, but when doing a search for either, no where in any of the results do they anything about them being Vonage anything?

I know that router isn't "just" like mine. I was meaning just the fact it was a basic wireless Linksys router, just like mine. Not a Vonage router/adapter.

OK. Let's quit wasting time then since this doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything if OP isn't going to say if issue is fixed one way or another.
--
The Firefox alternative.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by cork1958:

The main part where you lost me at then is how are either of those routers Vonage routers? They are 2 separate models, but when doing a search for either, no where in any of the results do they anything about them being Vonage anything?

I know that router isn't "just" like mine. I was meaning just the fact it was a basic wireless Linksys router, just like mine. Not a Vonage router/adapter...

Did you even read the link that I previously posted from the Vonage support site? Here it is again: »support.vonage.com/app/answers/d···a_id/874

And here is a screen shot of that page if you can't click the link:

Also there is the OP's statement that Vonage is upgrading the current router to a VDV22. That is more than a hint that the router in question is a Vonage router. Vonage is not and never has been a "bring your own adapter" company; you use a Vonage branded adapter, or you don't have Vonage service.

I am now done with this sub thread, if you can't clearly see that the OP is replacing an older Vonage wireless router with a VDV22, there is now way to make it any clearer.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Crap! Actually, no, I didn't even read the link you posted. I just searched for the router model numbers that were posted.

I didn't read enough into the searches I was getting to see that those model routers were adapters also! Duh!!

Any quick search result simply says "The Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router" and nothing about adapter.

Sorry about the mass confusion on my part
--
The Firefox alternative.