earletp
join:2004-02-03
PDX
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AC68

earletp to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: [Business] IPv6 Launch on June 6th

Just what are you looking for? It's only been a month since you were actively participating in this thread about the initial production deployment.
»[IPv6] Deployment of IPv6 Begins
By that point deployment had increased to six states, California, Colorado, Illinois, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey and included more than 1000 customers according to the information released.

I suspect that in the past month it has most likely expanded further, but even if not, 4- 5 weeks of making sure you haven't broken anything doesn't seem all that long in the grand scheme.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

Some of us have difficulty seeing past the myopia that is called instant gratification. The grand scheme is to be the first to get whatever is being discussed.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

What exactly is Comcast expecting to do June 6th 2012, offer IPv6 in two cities, label it a "test market" and call it a year? I claim "no confidence" »www.worldipv6launch.org/ ··· 0117-2//

I think part of your confusion is that its not a case of turning something on, or throwing a switch - it's a transition, one that has and will take many more years to complete. I'm not sure what you are trying to allude to with phrases like accountability and transparency, but I would suggest the simplest course if you have a specific question is just to simply ask.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to NetFixer

to NetFixer
huh? i didnt understand anything of what you just said but i just want to clearify that there are alot of people who want this and dont have the ability or opportunity to speak up so im doing it for them i dont mind waiting a few months and stuff.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to earletp

to earletp
just being careful and keeping everyone on their toes i guess? not really looking for anything besides keeping the ball rolling.
cwpc
join:2003-04-13
Crum Lynne, PA

cwpc to steve1515

to steve1515
what do i need to tell CS to get my Arris MTA swapped for a device that supports V6?

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by cwpc:

what do i need to tell CS to get my Arris MTA swapped for a device that supports V6?

You may want to just wait until we upgrade the Arris eMTA to support IPv6... In any case, a major focus for the first half of the year is greatly increasing the # of devices that can support IPv6. The most commonly deployed devices will be where we prioritize.

This takes a significant amount of testing, all of which is largely manual today. So part of our QA focus is on automation of all the new test cases, which will enable us to scale a great deal.
jlivingood

jlivingood to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

ALL D3 modems are supposed to support IPv6. It's this testing to verify that it actually works properly. It's the same with routers. Just because they say they support it doesn't always means it works.

+1. The reality is that it is easy to declare that IPv6 works on a spec sheet, especially when v6 was not really actively used by anyone. Now the real test is can it work for real in a production network and match v4 performance, etc.? The simple reality with any software is that if it is not heavily used it will either atrophy or be less mature since fewer people bang away at it in testing, use it it production, find bugs that get resolved and improve quality, etc.
jlivingood

jlivingood to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by JohnInSJ:

SMC claims the SMC d3G is ipv6 capable. So it must be the comcast firmware. I have ipv4 static ips, not sure what the impact is to me. Maybe I can get a price break if I move to ipv6 statics?

I have discussed that subject in the past with jlivingood See Profile, and he says that SMC's claim is pure brochure-ware.

We're working closely with SMC on getting IPv6 working and ready for production use. They supply a great many devices and I am confident in their progress.
jlivingood

1 recommendation

jlivingood to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm aware that the testing and stuff need to be done, but you would assume thats what they've been doing all this time, and eventually isnt really an answer when people are not seeing any progress being done, especially with no new trials going on and no announcements until recently. I mean like where is the accountabilty and transparency and all that good stuff? What exactly is Comcast expecting to do June 6th 2012, offer IPv6 in two cities, label it a "test market" and call it a year? I claim "no confidence" »www.worldipv6launch.org/ ··· 0117-2//

If it were easy, it'd be done already or other ISPs would have beat us to the punch. Yet that is not the case. This is a MASSIVE upgrade and transition. It is not easy, not by a long-shot, and it will go down as one of the most challenging and complex technical changes in the history of the Internet.

I can assure you we won't just offer it in 2 cities - heck we're beyond that now. This is for real.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

huh? i didnt understand anything of what you just said but i just want to clearify that there are alot of people who want this and dont have the ability or opportunity to speak up so im doing it for them i dont mind waiting a few months and stuff.

how can you say and you sound like your generalizing that a lot of people want this?

i myself is in the wait and see mode rather than be the first guy for everybody to ask and pretend to know rather than asking comcast....
cwpc
join:2003-04-13
Crum Lynne, PA

cwpc to steve1515

to steve1515
how do i get myself on the list to test it on the arris when they need real world testers?

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
It will not go perfectly, it will not be perfect but it will get done over the span of years. Because it doesn't happen at this very instant is no reason to get your undies in a wad.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to medbuyer

to medbuyer
good for you.
Expand your moderator at work
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

1 recommendation

neufuse to jlivingood

to jlivingood

Re: [Business] IPv6 Launch on June 6th

but when will residential customers get to start testing native IPv6? 6to4 is ok, I am using it now, would love to be native though at the modem level..... the SB6120 supports it, waiting for it to say IPv6 someday in the status page for it!

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

said by neufuse:

but when will residential customers get to start testing native IPv6? 6to4 is ok, I am using it now, would love to be native though at the modem level..... the SB6120 supports it, waiting for it to say IPv6 someday in the status page for it!

+1

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

+1

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
What exact difference in your internet experience would it make having IPv6 at the native level?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NOCTech75:

What exact difference in your internet experience would it make having IPv6 at the native level?

I can't speak to steve1515's internet experience, but in general a tunnel is less efficient than a native stack (more lag is a common symptom), and a lower MTU can cause problems as well.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
Less efficient sure but to where someone will notice the difference? I dunno, I find it hard to believe... maybe low MTU can cause some problems but I'd be surprised if it caused a full 1% of the users a problem.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NOCTech75:

Less efficient sure but to where someone will notice the difference? I dunno, I find it hard to believe... maybe low MTU can cause some problems but I'd be surprised if it caused a full 1% of the users a problem.

As far as noticing a difference, I would not want to try to use VoIP over an IPv6 tunnel (but since Vonage is still IPv4 only, that isn't currently a problem for me).

Probably less than 1% of Comcast's customers have a clue what IPv6 is, or would notice if they had it.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
The use of a tunnel means more things to go wrong, and the data has to go through more tubes then it would with a direct normal path like a native setup.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

The use of a tunnel means more things to go wrong, and the data has to go through more tubes then it would with a direct normal path like a native setup.

And you can still have issues even with a native setup.
NOCTech75

NOCTech75 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by NOCTech75:

As far as noticing a difference, I would not want to try to use VoIP over an IPv6 tunnel (but since Vonage is still IPv4 only, that isn't currently a problem for me).

Probably less than 1% of Comcast's customers have a clue what IPv6 is, or would notice if they had it.

I'd be curious of a VOIP test over 3 months through a tunnel, as long as the jitter is consistent and the pings don't shoot up it should be fine.

I am thinking it's more a case of unwarranted self importance combined with huge volumes of smugness awaiting release. It will happen when it happens, not a moment before then.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
said by NOCTech75:

So tunnels are kind of meh. I've been using static tunnels for years (wouldn't touch 6to4 or teredo) and have been less than pleased.

1. The biggest issue is DDoS. It seems like at least 3 or 4 times a month HE's tserve in Ashburn gets hit with a large DDoS.

2. Sucky throughput. This is more an issue with SixXS' tunnels but the OCCAID ones have horrible throughput as they appear to be slightly overloaded.

Another poster mentioned latency. That's a non-issue for me as I'm ~8 ms away from the tunnel servers. I suspect in the US most users are pretty close to their tunnel endpoint.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
true, if its not done right.