Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to pa prowler

Re: Optimum App for Laptop

I recently tried to use this and instead of saying that my account wasn't enabled, it now says the version I have is no longer supported and I should click update to download the current version. Clicking the update button does nothing. Anyone else getting this?

pil0t

join:2008-03-04
said by JohnILM:

I recently tried to use this and instead of saying that my account wasn't enabled, it now says the version I have is no longer supported and I should click update to download the current version. Clicking the update button does nothing. Anyone else getting this?

works for me and this updated version finally lets me actually use the app.

clicking update redirects you to »www.optimum.net/OptimumD ··· /upgrade

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY
said by pil0t:

Excellent. Thanks for the link. I've got it working as well.

pil0t

join:2008-03-04
said by JohnILM:

said by pil0t:

Excellent. Thanks for the link. I've got it working as well.

you're welcome

broadband412

join:2003-06-17
Brooklyn, NY
reply to JohnILM
The external display detection has definitely gotten smarter. While I was able to download the update and installed it, I was told after logging in that I need to disconnect any external displays in order to watch tv. I was able to view the guide though so I guess if I were to try it on a laptop it would probably work.

Ike2

@optonline.net
No TV Listings, is anybody else having the same problem?

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
It's working in Dutchess!

angelom

join:2000-02-04
Centereach, NY
reply to broadband412
It works on one of my laptops. 2 year old Asus works fine. I loaded it on a 6 year old Compaq. Though it loads and starts up fine. It tells me i need to disconnect external displays. ?????
Its a laptop. I did notice device manager lists multiple displays. I am going to have to look into this issue.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to pa prowler
Anyone having issues getting it to work on their Mac? It was working fine for me but now I just get a big white screen. I installed the latest version of the app and made sure my Silverlight is up to date. I tried uninstalling the older version of the app first, but was unable to locate where the .plist file is to remove that as well.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to pil0t
That's still the version from 1/26/2012. I never got it to work. Says I don't have Silverlight, but I do.

readymix

join:2007-01-03
East Northport, NY
reply to pa prowler
works, unlike the last go-round

juicem2

join:2006-03-05
Mastic Beach, NY
It works form me now as well.

RobertMets12

join:2010-10-16
reply to pa prowler
Is anyone having a problem getting ch7, ch61, and ch12.

CTMustang
Premium
join:2007-09-10
France
reply to pa prowler
Also works for me this time, before it told me it wasn't activated for my account. This is pretty nice!

Now if I could just hook it up to a desktop and hook the desktop to a monitor..

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Tursiops_G
Update:
Norwalk, CT is now on-line...

Installed the Latest version (1/26/2012) on my Netbook (Acer Aspire One ZG5), and it logged in successfully.

Had to change the screen res. to 1024x768 and scroll the screen to see all of the guide (the Netbook only has a 1024x600 screen), but fullscreen view stays within the display boundaries.

A bit stuttery (especially when on Battery), Processor usage is at or near 100% on both cores... (but what would you expect from a 1.6GHz ATOM CPU...)

Other than that, Not too shabby...

-Tursiops_G.

(Edit: Typos)

--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

CTMustang
Premium
France
reply to pa prowler
now, how do we get around the no external monitor? I want to use this on desktops

cvteck

@optonline.net
said by CTMustang:

now, how do we get around the no external monitor? I want to use this on desktops

You don't. It's called Optimum App for Laptops for a reason. Enjoy yet another free feature of Optimum.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Actually, that's not quite correct. It works on iMacs.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
reply to momcat1
Thanks for the heads up I will have to try it tonight.

chunk73
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fairfield, CT
reply to cvteck
said by cvteck :

said by CTMustang:

You don't. It's called Optimum App for Laptops for a reason. Enjoy yet another free feature of Optimum.

Ok, this makes no sense at all. The fact that they named this app "optimum app for laptop" implies that it is meant to only be used while on the go, where you cant access your main TV's. However they lock down the app so that it can only be used when connected to your home network. I have a laptop at home in a docking station with an external monitor. I am technically running the app on my laptop but I cant watch it on the external monitor? Does this sound fishy to anyone else? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Think new pc's, hdmi ports on new pc's, 60" lcd with hdmi input. Put all that together and what do you get???? You get a PC that is turned into a STB with no additional monthly fee for cablevision.

You think cablevision would allow you to use this app to output to a TV without collecting a monthly fee? No way in hell. The only way I see this app ever changing so that external monitors are allowed is when cablevision figures out how to bill it as an additional STB.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by chunk73:

The only way I see this app ever changing so that external monitors are allowed is when cablevision figures out how to bill it as an additional STB.

And the minute they figure that out, I stop using the app. I refuse to pay for that functionality.

IMO, by locking it down to your home connection, they are defeating the purpose. Did they think that sitting with my laptop to watch TV, in my home, where there's already a TV with a STB in the living room AND the bedroom, is useful? I'dd rather watch the TV. Screen is bigger and the sound system is better, too.

juicem2

join:2006-03-05
Mastic Beach, NY
reply to chunk73
I'm not complaining. It is free and can come in handy. My daughter does not have a tv in her room. Now, she can take the laptop in her room or wherever in the house to watch tv and it doesn't cost a cent. It is a win win situation. People need to stop complaining. I don't think many other cablecos or telcos offer this feature.

CTMustang
Premium
France
said by juicem2:

I'm not complaining. It is free and can come in handy. My daughter does not have a tv in her room. Now, she can take the laptop in her room or wherever in the house to watch tv and it doesn't cost a cent. It is a win win situation. People need to stop complaining. I don't think many other cablecos or telcos offer this feature.

My sister uses it in her room too.... at my parents house. I'd just love to be able to hook it up to her 32 inch tv and not have to pay for the shitty cablevision box, not to mention I don't want to have to run coax into her room.

As with everything technology, I'm sure it could be figured out....I see one way is to get an iMac......... wonder what the mac does differently as that's not cost effective for me. I am swimming in P4 dell desktops though.

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to pa prowler
said by momcat1:

said by chunk73:

The only way I see this app ever changing so that external monitors are allowed is when cablevision figures out how to bill it as an additional STB.

And the minute they figure that out, I stop using the app. I refuse to pay for that functionality.

IMO, by locking it down to your home connection, they are defeating the purpose. Did they think that sitting with my laptop to watch TV, in my home, where there's already a TV with a STB in the living room AND the bedroom, is useful? I'dd rather watch the TV. Screen is bigger and the sound system is better, too.

No one is forcing you to use the app. I can't help but notice 95% of the time you post here it involves you crying about something you either don't pay for at all or the issue is so minuscule that I get the feeling you take joy in making these posts.

Anywho...

The reason the app is restricted to in home use is because the Cablevision contract with content providers permits them to transmit the same content to as many STBs as the customer has within the home without charging more (minus the obvious monthly charge of the actual STB.) Cablevision was able to win their lawsuits by arguing that iPads/iPhones can be considered a STB as long as it was only being used in the home. Thus the reason why all the Optimum Apps are provided at no additional charge to customers. Could the app technically allow you to connect to the Cablevision network and watch all of the live content anywhere you had an internet connection? Sure...but then they would be in violation of their existing contracts and then the content providers would pull their feed like Scripps did a while back. And god only knows the posts you would make if that happened again..

cvtv

@charter.com
said by root:

said by momcat1:

said by chunk73:

No one is forcing you to use the app. I can't help but notice 95% of the time you post here it involves you crying about something you either don't pay for at all or the issue is so minuscule that I get the feeling you take joy in making these posts.

Anywho...

The reason the app is restricted to in home use is because the Cablevision contract with content providers permits them to transmit the same content to as many STBs as the customer has within the home without charging more (minus the obvious monthly charge of the actual STB.) Cablevision was able to win their lawsuits by arguing that iPads/iPhones can be considered a STB as long as it was only being used in the home. Thus the reason why all the Optimum Apps are provided at no additional charge to customers. Could the app technically allow you to connect to the Cablevision network and watch all of the live content anywhere you had an internet connection? Sure...but then they would be in violation of their existing contracts and then the content providers would pull their feed like Scripps did a while back. And god only knows the posts you would make if that happened again..

finally someone with some sense. thank you

CTMustang
Premium
France
reply to pa prowler
so back to how we fool it into thinking it's on a laptop

cvtv

@charter.com
reply to CTMustang
said by CTMustang:

said by juicem2:

My sister uses it in her room too.... at my parents house. I'd just love to be able to hook it up to her 32 inch tv and not have to pay for the shitty cablevision box, not to mention I don't want to have to run coax into her room.

As with everything technology, I'm sure it could be figured out....I see one way is to get an iMac......... wonder what the mac does differently as that's not cost effective for me. I am swimming in P4 dell desktops though.

If cablevision let you use the App and connect it to tv, would you pay them $7 extra a month?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
I'd pay $1 or $2 at most per month to replace a STB with a desktop of my own running the app with video out to TV. I'd love free though.

They could easily charge by limiting simultaneous logons to your account across any ID (and, since it can only be used in-home, it's not like you can just borrow a family member's ID/pwd). However, the thing with charging for the app is that they then need to credit for the app when it doesn't work, and that would probably waste a large chunk of the paltry revenue gained in time spent crediting.