mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to OOLUser6

MVM

to OOLUser6

Re: Optimum App for Laptop

Why not disconnect all external displays, remote in via VNC and install it? Worth a shot.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to pa prowler

to pa prowler
not sure why i would want this
tried it last night and will likely never use it again

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

1 edit

EliteData to pa prowler

Premium Member

to pa prowler
easy work-around to download and install on a desktop PC.
here, its all yours... for win 32 bit
»img.optimum.net/images/f ··· pWin.zip
EliteData

EliteData to pa prowler

Premium Member

to pa prowler
Click for full size
lol @ the "help" button....
GolfDude
join:2004-01-29
East Islip, NY

GolfDude to pa prowler

to pa prowler
just b/c you have the download file doesnt mean it works on the desktop you install it on.. it will still reject you from watching live tv on it b/c every desktop has an external monitor attached to it..

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

said by GolfDude:

just b/c you have the download file doesnt mean it works on the desktop you install it on.. it will still reject you from watching live tv on it b/c every desktop has an external monitor attached to it..

If you disconnect the monitor from our desktop, will it run??

Anyone try running it on a laptop and connecting to the lappy with Remote Desktop?

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to GolfDude

Premium Member

to GolfDude
said by GolfDude:

the point of my post was to show that a moderately large company like Cablevision, shouldnt be using scripts that can easily be circumvented, in an attempt to prevent a user from downloading the application to a desktop computer.
you can easily enough download the file on your laptop and send the file to your desktop using various methods to send the file if a user isnt capable of circumventing Cablevisions "detection" script.
whether or not the application will work on a desktop is irrelevant to an advanced PC user, since an advanced PC user can obtain the tools necessary to effectively "debug" the application on the laptop, collect the needed variables and information and create their own "application" or modify variables on the desktop PC in order to make the application work on a desktop PC.
there is always a work-around.
its safe to assume that Cablevision will obviously produce revised versions of this application in time, that will attempt to be "stronger" at preventing an advanced PC user from "debugging" it.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Can you run it on a desktop with no monitor (or a laptop I suppose) & VPN to your desktop?

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

the only place that checks multiple monitors is silverlight applet on their webpage. you can bypass it by using the link i pasted above.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

3 edits

EliteData to MxxCon

Premium Member

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

»www.optimum.net/OptimumD ··· download

But yes, once installed it complains "Your account is not enabled for Optimum App for Laptop".

The app is written in silverlight or at least uses silverlight as a shell.
Apps' internal name is 2139263213.optimumapp.iptv.optimum.net
is that somebody's phone number?

the only problem with that link is that you have to be previously logged in, in order for it to work or it just redirects you to the landing page.
ive done a little bit of "debugging" and discovered theres a number of servers in use to auth this app, they currently are not configured at this point (for suffolk county) and gives the error about the account not being enabled (the server returns blank).
id like to get my hands on the auth servers for those who are able to use this app and change my dns server to redirect to those IP's since this app is calling by name and not number, then this app will work for long island (probably not correctly).
if the news 12 long island is streaming as a test on the landing page, then the video servers for this app are obviously working, but its not known exactly how many channels.
it appears they are using a similar algorithm that netflix uses, sending "chunks" of the AVC1, AACL & DFXP data to silverlight to be re-assembled by the player.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to MxxCon

to MxxCon
I already had it installed on my desktop (I also replaced /download at the end of the URL since I knew Optimum Link does the same thing, and wasn't too surprised it worked), I just haven't had a chance to actually try the app. I figured they'd do the check on run like how the iOS app checks for jailbroken devices upon run. Good to know it currently doesn't.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to pa prowler

Anon

to pa prowler
"Your CPU does not meet the minimum requirements: Intel Cor Duo 1.83GHZ or higher."

Sux.
JimmyLI
join:2008-01-31

JimmyLI to pa prowler

to pa prowler
I got the error message saying that I'm connected to an external display so I cannot install it. Is there a way around this or?...

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by JimmyLI:

I got the error message saying that I'm connected to an external display so I cannot install it. Is there a way around this or?...

read throughout the posts here, there are links provided to get a "direct" download
jbondsr
join:2003-03-13
West Babylon, NY

jbondsr to pa prowler

to pa prowler
i get an ipad entitlement error.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to GolfDude

Numquam oblitus

to GolfDude
said by GolfDude:

I wonder if it'll work on an iMac.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to jbondsr

to jbondsr
said by jbondsr:

i get an ipad entitlement error.

Then either your optimum ID is not on an active account, does not have email permissions, or was recently created. Click on "My Account" on the homepage & go to "ID Center". If it tells you to move the ID to an active account, do that. If not, contact Tech support and they'll fix it very quickly.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Does the laptop ap work on an iPad or do you need the iPad ap?
broadband412
join:2003-06-17
Brooklyn, NY

broadband412 to pa prowler

to pa prowler
Tried to see if this app works but I get a message saying that my account is not enabled for optimum app for laptop.

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert

Premium Member

said by broadband412:

Tried to see if this app works but I get a message saying that my account is not enabled for optimum app for laptop.

Yeah, same thing happened to me. You have to be in a certain location for it to work. You must not be in one of those.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to pa prowler

to pa prowler
Yup, the install went perfectly fine. So who is in the magic location, Bethpage again?

How rude to not let us use it.
broadband412
join:2003-06-17
Brooklyn, NY

broadband412 to pa prowler

to pa prowler
I'm in Brooklyn. Anyone in Brooklyn successfully able to watch tv using the optimum app?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

said by tmpchaos:

said by GolfDude:

I wonder if it'll work on an iMac.

Apparently it works fine on an iMac.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

1 edit

EliteData to momcat1

Premium Member

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

Yup, the install went perfectly fine. So who is in the magic location, Bethpage again?

How rude to not let us use it.

disregard and forget it.
ill figure it out myself.

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to mbernste

to mbernste
It's not on the homepage today. Did they pull it back?
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

It still says "Customer Trial" on the landing page, so it doesn't sound like its out of beta.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to momcat1

MVM

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

So who is in the magic location, Bethpage again?

I'm in Piscataway, NJ and it works here. Perhaps because we have an Optimum Store in town?

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

I doubt that has anything to do with it. We have an Optimum store in town, too.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to pa prowler

MVM

to pa prowler
Click for full size
I just got an e-mail (see attached) telling me the Optimum app for laptop is now available. So it must be out for everyone.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to aannoonn

Anon

to aannoonn
So the detailed system requirements say: "Intel Pentium III 450mhz", but my 1.5 GHz Celeron M (based on a Pentium Dothan core and much faster than a 450 MHz Pentium III) isn't acceptable.

Are the CV programmers completely clueless?