Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to UnnDunn

Premium Member

to UnnDunn

Re: [IMG] 1.9 Likes / Dislikes & Bugs

thanks for the info! I will try that.
is there any way to shorten the delay that the tv is causing?

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by floridafuzz:

Not unless there is a firmware update for the TV that speeds up the decoding and resolution switching. Keep in mind that you flat panel always displays in ITS native resolution and has to convert any "foreign" resolution (like 480i).

Typically the only way to speed up a TV resolution change is a newer TV with a faster processor

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to floridafuzz

Premium Member

to floridafuzz
I believe all TV's have that delay when switching resolutions, the only way to shorten is to set the box to receive all channels at the same resolution, no native.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to floridafuzz

Premium Member

to floridafuzz
said by floridafuzz:

Not really. It is inherent to your TV's design and processing.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

joe01880 to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

I believe all TV's have that delay when switching resolutions, the only way to shorten is to set the box to receive all channels at the same resolution, no native.

modern HD TV's are upconverting the signal to the TV's native resolution anyway so why not just set it up so there is no delay when switching between resolutions. I have used native and i have used 1080i and switched to 720p for channels passed in 720p on both the 7232 and my TiVo's. I'm not seeing any notable difference on my Sony NX810..thats upconverting the signal to 1080p anyway!

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy

said by joe01880:

modern HD TV's are upconverting the signal to the TV's native resolution anyway so why not just set it up so there is no delay when switching between resolutions. I have used native and i have used 1080i and switched to 720p for channels passed in 720p on both the 7232 and my TiVo's. I'm not seeing any notable difference on my Sony NX810..thats upconverting the signal to 1080p anyway!

for me it's all about watching the channel/program in its native resolution...ABC and FOX are 720p channels while most others are 1080i, so why would I want programs on those channels upconverted?...it might not make a huge difference in terms of PQ but there is definitely a difference...you always want something to be displayed the way it was intended to be and not altered with at all

I don't care at all about the slight delay when changing between 720p/1080i...it's worth it to get the 'best' image quality
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to joe01880

Premium Member

to joe01880
joe01880- please explain a little bit more- do you have native pass through set on your 7232 or is it set to upconvert everything to 1080i which is the default HD setting I believe. Also- I though I read somewhere in another thread that fios does not broadcast in 1080p yet. is your sony changing the signal from the set top box from 720p or 1080i to 1080P?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by floridafuzz:

is your sony changing the signal from the set top box from 720p or 1080i to 1080P?

All 1080p sets will do that

joe01880
Wakefield, MA

joe01880 to floridafuzz

to floridafuzz
said by floridafuzz:

joe01880- please explain a little bit more- do you have native pass through set on your 7232 or is it set to upconvert everything to 1080i which is the default HD setting I believe. Also- I though I read somewhere in another thread that fios does not broadcast in 1080p yet. is your sony changing the signal from the set top box from 720p or 1080i to 1080P?

FiOS to my knowledge does not pass anything in 1080p. The native resolution of my TV is 1080p and therefore it upconverts all incoming signals to 1080p. There's no way around that,its going to do that whether i want it to or not. Understand this is still only going to look as good as the source its coming from.

I had tried setting the 7232 to pass signals untouched by processing by the FiOS DVR, honestly the only difference i saw was those my TV was making when switching to accomadate that setting. A lag of video and audio for a few seconds as the TV does internal switching. I dont like it so i leave the FiOS 7232 set to send everything as 1080i, the 1080p conversion my TV makes is seemless.
FiOS PQ is excellent with these settings.The main reason for passing through content unprocessed is to reduce aritfacts and to improve PQ. FiOS is not adding compression, again to my knowledge, so the sgnal is pretty clean. Its very good on my Sony NX810 and come accross equally as nice through my TiVo which is also set to 1080i.

Understand all of this is personal preference, what i might like someone else may not and vice versa.

In the chain, the 7232..and TiVo is set 1080i, from the STB's the signal goes into my reciever which is set to pass through (no video processing) and from the reciever the signal goes into my NX810 via HDMI 1 which does its own processing thing upconverting the signal to 1080p..something i have no control over. I can mess with other things like contrast, brightness etc..i dont. I had my TV pro calibrated and like the settings. They were very close to what i had come up with on my own but im a tweaker so i muck with it all the time always in search of perfection.

Here is a very interesting easy to understand article on the whole 1080i-1080p and everything in between, how it works and the B/S people want you to believe about it all...enjoy

»www.hometheaterhifi.com/ ··· ned.html

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

1 edit

TitusTroy to floridafuzz

to floridafuzz
said by floridafuzz:

Also- I though I read somewhere in another thread that fios does not broadcast in 1080p yet

no channels broadcast in 1080p...1080i is the highest native resolution...I think DirectTV has a 1080p movie channel but not positive...if you want 'real' 1080p you need to watch Blu-ray's
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to joe01880

Premium Member

to joe01880
joe01880- thank you very much for explaining it in more detail. I had my 7100 p1's and 7232 set on the default of 1080i and the picture quality was fine. I just got 1.9 and tried native pass through and I don't know if it is my imagination, but the picture quality looks even better. my tv's are all HD. I tweaked my panny plasma with settings I found posted on avsforums. Did the pro calibration make a big difference and do you feel it was worth the investment?
floridafuzz

floridafuzz to TitusTroy

Premium Member

to TitusTroy
thank you, we enjoy watching movies and tv series and pick them up in blu-ray whenever possible to get the best picture quality.

joe01880
Wakefield, MA

1 edit

joe01880 to floridafuzz

to floridafuzz
said by floridafuzz:

joe01880- thank you very much for explaining it in more detail. I had my 7100 p1's and 7232 set on the default of 1080i and the picture quality was fine. I just got 1.9 and tried native pass through and I don't know if it is my imagination, but the picture quality looks even better. my tv's are all HD. I tweaked my panny plasma with settings I found posted on avsforums. Did the pro calibration make a big difference and do you feel it was worth the investment?

Im not one to say yes..go out and get your TV pro calibrated..its a lot of money and im not gonna spend your money..as much as i am able and would like to

Becareful who you hire to calibrate your TV if you go that route, there are good ones and bad ones..research them first.
CNET is another good source for TV settings. In the end its all about what you like best. An important thing is to give your eye and brain time to adjust to what ever setting you use.
DaveR5
join:2007-07-17

DaveR5 to joe01880

to joe01880
said by joe01880:

I had tried setting the 7232 to pass signals untouched by processing by the FiOS DVR, honestly the only difference i saw was those my TV was making when switching to accomadate that setting. A lag of video and audio for a few seconds as the TV does internal switching. I dont like it so i leave the FiOS 7232 set to send everything as 1080i, the 1080p conversion my TV makes is seemless.

Whether you see a difference is dependent on the TV. In any case it will be subtle.

For me, native has improved the PQ on 720p and SD channels. My Panasonic Plasma TV does a better job upconverting these signals to its native 1080p than the Motorola box. I accept the lag as a tradeoff. I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference in PQ but I can.
nickyboy4
join:2008-07-24
Farmingdale, NY

nickyboy4

said by DaveR5:

said by joe01880:

Whether you see a difference is dependent on the TV. In any case it will be subtle.

For me, native has improved the PQ on 720p and SD channels. My Panasonic Plasma TV does a better job upconverting these signals to its native 1080p than the Motorola box. I accept the lag as a tradeoff. I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference in PQ but I can.

I also have a Pany plasma and cant stand the lag as I filp around alot, neither can my wife. To be honest I cant see a difference anyway. I looked forward to having native pass thru but no big deal.

jd9785
@verizon.net

jd9785

Anon

I have to say I like the upgrade and have not really seen any bugs. The only problem I have is the white letters on the blue screen are almost impossible to read when watching my home TV on the road via a Slingbox and that is not really Verizon's fault.

I assume it's just the widescreen guide being degraded as it's sent over the internet and the low to moderate bit-rate I get for the connection on my work computer.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to nickyboy4

to nickyboy4
said by nickyboy4:

said by DaveR5:

said by joe01880:

I also have a Pany plasma and cant stand the lag as I filp around alot, neither can my wife. To be honest I cant see a difference anyway. I looked forward to having native pass thru but no big deal.

Your should only see a second of two delay, and only if the new channel is using a different mode. Unless your are compulsive channel changer that is not a big deal. The difference in quality for the 720P channels is worth it on my 1080p Samsung's

joe01880
Wakefield, MA

1 edit

joe01880

said by tnsprin:

Your should only see a second of two delay, and only if the new channel is using a different mode. Unless your are compulsive channel changer that is not a big deal. The difference in quality for the 720P channels is worth it on my 1080p Samsung's

I have a Sony NX 810 TV, not best thing on the market last year but not shabby either. and yes, the delay is only a second or 2 but a second or two to much for my tastes. I flip channels, espcially if the wife is out. The PQ is so good on both my 7232 and Premiere TiVo being set to 1080i i can live with it and honestly i see no difference with either box set to native pass through