Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ree

@rogers.com
reply to sbrook

Re: [Extreme Plus] Seemingly still shaping torrent downloads

said by sbrook:

BUT, the upstream is messed up by dropping packets when they sense Torrent traffic on your connection. Some of the packets dropped are "ACK" packets in response to the downloaded packets. So, since the sending Torrent seeds don't get the acks back, they assume the packets weren't sent, so they send them again *after a timeout* ... so depending on how many ack packets get hit on the upstream path, the torrent can be really slow. This is why there is such variation on the speed of the download too.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense now.

So what kind of upstream is required for ACK packets on a 32mbit download? Rogers says they throttle to 80kbit, so I guess that's not enough?

(I know that seeding counts against that 80kbit, but assume a hypothetical situation where nobody is downloading from you.)

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by Ree :

So what kind of upstream is required for ACK packets on a 32mbit download? Rogers says they throttle to 80kbit, so I guess that's not enough?

Don't forget about the overhead.

I rarely have downstream speed issues with torrents (rarely enough that it's probably those specific torrents, not my connection), even without capping my upload speeds (which usually stabilize around the definitely-throttled speeds of 8kB/s).

Do you have number of connection limits set?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Ree
It's not a case of throttling to 80 kbits/sec ... that's the result of the upstream throttling, not what they do per se. The more packets they drop, the more the upload and download appears throttled.

If you're not having anyone download from you, then in all probability you should see little impact.

There's no "measurable" calculation, since it depends on how the hosts and paths treat the dropped packets.

Certainly limiting the number of people who can download from you can improve the situation.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to bt
said by bt:

Do you have number of connection limits set?

I think I did, but I gave up on bittorrent and switched to usenet, so I'm not 100% sure.

Whatever my settings were, when I was with Teksavvy I was able to get a consistent 500kB/s, but with Rogers I'm lucky to hit 200kB/s.