spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD

8742HDC HDMI does not work

I mention this to you before BHN but I actually haven't been able to find as much info about the issue on forums as I thought I could. The 8742HDC Cisco dvr that my parents got to replace their again broken SA does not have a functional hdmi out. When I select HDMI on the TV, the cable box says "2d" and the resolution numbers on the front toggle back and forth between 480p and 1080i (720p after I told the box that it was the only resolution the tv supported). The box recovers fine when I turn the TV back to the RBG composite cable setup that the installer put on the TV.

The thing is the installer knew the box's hdmi didn't work even without testing it (The factory sticker was still over the hdmi port when I got behind it). I just now looked at the firmware (ODN) version the box is running and it was something like 4.0.6, the date on it was april of 2011 which for a new piece of hardware seems pretty damn old. And if I am supposed to wait for an update...well... it doesn't seem like one is coming any time soon.

Any light to shed?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Jeff as I remember it I offered to replace the box for you. Tell me how you want to proceed.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD

The box performs awesomely so I was hoping it was possible to update and fix the hdmi part of it. If that just isn't possible then I'll pop the question of another replacement for them. You said the other dvr was the samsung? It doesn't have the bad UI lag the SA is known for? Or maybe a different model of cisco that you know we run a newer software update for?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JeffMD

Premium Member

to JeffMD
No software update Jeff...either we get it replaced or you use that one...sorry.
bryan2012
join:2012-02-22

bryan2012

Dear BHN Expert,

Dr. Jeff is right, the box isn't the problem. Its the support of the only decent peice of hardware Bright House has. Because most boxes provided are 160gB and 7 year old technology, we just want to use the most common standard to connect the box to the TV. Yet all of these great boxes have the same problem. The screen blanks out and comes back every 15 minutes. Even different boxes and mine was made 3 weeks ago. BHN has decided not to invest any time or resources into a software solution that most likely cisco and TWC already have, you just have to make it work using your paranoid methods because oh no we might let someone connect an external hard drive so they can store a little more on their dvr...

Just a peice of advice, pretend you have good customer service skills when posting in a forum, then just be rude to us on the phone. I had one person tell me I was just being difficult and causing a problem for not excepting the same 7 year old junk that is inferior to the pioneer boxes before the SA boxes that couldn't reverse engineer common sense. Switching to satelite....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bryan2012:

Dear BHN Expert,

Dr. Jeff is right, the box isn't the problem. Its the support of the only decent peice of hardware Bright House has. Because most boxes provided are 160gB and 7 year old technology, we just want to use the most common standard to connect the box to the TV. Yet all of these great boxes have the same problem. The screen blanks out and comes back every 15 minutes. Even different boxes and mine was made 3 weeks ago. BHN has decided not to invest any time or resources into a software solution that most likely cisco and TWC already have, you just have to make it work using your paranoid methods because oh no we might let someone connect an external hard drive so they can store a little more on their dvr...

Just a peice of advice, pretend you have good customer service skills when posting in a forum, then just be rude to us on the phone. I had one person tell me I was just being difficult and causing a problem for not excepting the same 7 year old junk that is inferior to the pioneer boxes before the SA boxes that couldn't reverse engineer common sense. Switching to satelite....

You appear to be ranting about several things unfortunately none of your assumptions are correct. If you would like me to assist you with this open a direct forums thread and I'll be happy to get it resolved immediately. If on the other hand you were just ranting and not looking for a solution there really isn't much I can do for you now is there.

bryan2013
@rr.com

bryan2013

Anon

hahaha, funny story. I've been trying to figure this out for a month. I assumed looking at this post that i would not get a quick response. So knowing still I have less of a chance now of knowing I apologize to you. Not to bright house networks. You are someone who figured it out. I've had 3 techs come out. I've taken 10 hours to wait, 5 hours in traffic swapping boxes. I just gave up. I ve called and spoke to 10 people at BHN some of which were pretty rude to me. Sorry if I came off of rude in my rant. You are right and I'm not just saying that because BHN suggested I do so as you are the only method to resolve my problem. Right now I just want to know the answer.
You are smart, I thought I was too... sooo if you really want to help out please post the solution, or pass it along to your call centers because no one I have spoke to believes it can be solved and that it's just a defective box.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bryan2013 :

hahaha, funny story. I've been trying to figure this out for a month. I assumed looking at this post that i would not get a quick response. So knowing still I have less of a chance now of knowing I apologize to you. Not to bright house networks. You are someone who figured it out. I've had 3 techs come out. I've taken 10 hours to wait, 5 hours in traffic swapping boxes. I just gave up. I ve called and spoke to 10 people at BHN some of which were pretty rude to me. Sorry if I came off of rude in my rant. You are right and I'm not just saying that because BHN suggested I do so as you are the only method to resolve my problem. Right now I just want to know the answer.
You are smart, I thought I was too... sooo if you really want to help out please post the solution, or pass it along to your call centers because no one I have spoke to believes it can be solved and that it's just a defective box.

I completely understand your frustration but there is no single fix to be honest with you. It just depends on the configuration and connected devices. That's why I suggested you open a direct thread here so I can review everything on your account, everything that has been done so far and of course get all the details about your configuration. Welcome to the world of interconnected third party devices that don't always play well despite the best of specifications, design and of course intentions.