Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
·Comcast
reply to treichhart

Re: outgoing does cost.

Outgoing CID Settings

I found this when I had to go in and turn down the outgoing volume. The Grandstream they sent me is so dynamically different than the PAP2T. Most of my issues are gone now. I always knew it was the crappy Linksys gear.

So there is a place to tell it how to handle OGCID. No misunderstanding here.

jacobslive
Premium
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

This will send your Number as caller ID not your name. When I called from VOIPO "California" and my number was displayed at the receivers end, not my "Name" and number.

If your called party can see your name along with your number, then thats a different case. In that case VOIPO gave me wrong information. When I contacted VOIPO they confirmed that they do not transmit caller name, which I found is true in my case.

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO

Got the same confirmation yesterday off a direct trouble ticket that was explained much more than normal. And was told also that they depend on the end provider to supply the rest, name/etc, if they will/can/or do.

jacobslive
Premium
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

said by FarmerBob:

Got the same confirmation yesterday off a direct trouble ticket that was explained much more than normal. And was told also that they depend on the end provider to supply the rest, name/etc, if they will/can/or do.

Good for you if it works!

I was told that VOIPO will not transmit name but depends on receivers service provider it will show State/Area/Anonymous/Number etc. but not NAME.

Here is the service ticket they responded:

"Hello,

Outgoing callerID is not supported.
Only the number is sent.

Some carriers may try to show the area the number is registered to.
In such cases, your number will likely show the city or state that the number is from.

---
Kyle Kirchner
VOIPo Support"

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
·Comcast

said by jacobslive:

Good for you if it works!

I was told that VOIPO will not transmit name but depends on receivers service provider it will show State/Area/Anonymous/Number etc. but not NAME.

Here is the service ticket they responded:

"Hello,

Outgoing callerID is not supported.
Only the number is sent.

Some carriers may try to show the area the number is registered to.
In such cases, your number will likely show the city or state that the number is from.

---
Kyle Kirchner
VOIPo Support"

But it doesn't work. This was the last reply I got:

"Your outbound CallerID settings are available under Beta > Misc.
You will be presented with a drop-down including all the numbers on your account.
You may select whichever number will be sent.

There is an option to mask the CallerID and simply present 'Private', or you may nominate to send nothing at all, which will show 'Unknown'.
These two options are available under the Features tab.

As was previously stated, we only send the number on outbound IDs.
Many carriers will show any name information if they have it on file (many do not).
Most carriers will show where the number is registered to, usually just City or State information.

---
Kyle Kirchner
VOIPo Support"

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:5
reply to treichhart

said by treichhart:

It does cost to send out that callerid name out and tim CEO of voipo said it would cost 2 much for them to do that but if you want that that means you would have to pay more then what your paying for now from voipo. Are you paying 8 dollars a month if you want that caller id outgoing you be paying 10 dollars month instead of 8 dollars of month.

Either you misunderstood him, or he's referring to something else. Setting outgoing CID Name with a carrier only costs a buck or so ONE TIME - not monthly. The problem is that most carriers who supply phone numbers to VOIP providers do not support outgoing CID or are so bad at supporting it, it's almost unusable.

Eventually more of them will support it though - it's just a matter of time.

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
·Comcast
reply to treichhart

I have seen a lot of these issues with the Telco's themselves for many years. So this is not an isolated issue. I just think that here it is a more sterile aspect and we have noticed sooner and more dynamically. AND with increased abuse and no support, the "Do not call list" is a joke, people that are being called are being more proactive. And there lies the rub.

The interaction of Telco's, Celco's have always been haphazard at best. And now add the VoIP's, where many of the Telco's who control this feature, for the most part, don't like sharing their ball as was the initial problem between Telco's and Celco's. And here we have the problem. Here, if at all, the fee comes into play for two reasons: an excuse why not to provide the service completely; or in this day and age of "money saving", a reason not to spend. Either way, we lose.

What ever happened to the good ol' days of industry inter-cooperation. Oh wait!! There never was any!!! Unless the Telco owned it.