Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Greetings gang -- this forum is getting a bit tired, so i figure i'd spice things up a tad. I did some work at a telco switch site - working on a pair of 7609's, bringing in another OC48 to add redundancy between CO's....

I sighed with a heavy heart looking at all the old school Nortel DMS gear... all the Brown and Green reminds me of the good 'ole days...

Enjoy...
--
Thanks,
Sean Brown
»www.sleepyshark.com

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

Nice shots. Lovely and clean, what I like to see.

But, 7609's installed one way in the rack, and 7200VXR's installed the other way?

I just posted some pictures of an Australian exchange, check em out.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

said by TomS_:

But, 7609's installed one way in the rack, and 7200VXR's installed the other way?

What? You're looking at the *back* of each device. They're installed correctly.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to imseanbrown

Good ol' DMS sexyness

(I have to admit I love the ugly brown and green things)

Any info as to what purpose/model this one is and serves? Is it end user dialtone or more of a toll system?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to cramer

said by cramer:

They're installed correctly.

Err, no.

7609, linecards go at the front, not to mention they use front-to-back airflow.

7200, power supplies go at the rear, because the rack mount ears can only be installed at the front (and at best they can be reversed so that instead of the chassis being inset it sticks out a little.)

So one of them is installed the wrong way around, my guess the 7200's.

imseanbrown
Premium
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY

actually, the 7600's we installed backwards.... I thought it was strange too, but I just did my job and didn't try to re-invent the wheel... It also miffed me that *EVER* piece of heavy equipment was in the bottom of the rack (ie: the Genband, and the 7600 gear).... lazy installers....

Repling to voxframe, this is toll site and an interconnect for a few different fiber providers... I think XO, AT&T, FPL Fibernet and a handful of other ones I didn't care to remember....
--
Thanks,
Sean Brown
»www.sleepyshark.com

imseanbrown
Premium
New York, NY
reply to voxframe

I seriously wanted to go to the street and get some tree limbs and leaves and make the DMS Aisle a tree house..... not sure they would have approved of my shenanigans tho... lol

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to imseanbrown

said by imseanbrown:

It also miffed me that *EVER* piece of heavy equipment was in the bottom of the rack (ie: the Genband, and the 7600 gear).... lazy installers....

Actually this is "proper" installation procedure I believe, for a couple of reasons:

1. The gear is HEAVY, DAMN HEAVY, even after you pull everything out that isnt bolted or pop rivetted down. Kudos to you if you want to try and install it in the top of a rack, but I wouldnt. For health and safety reasons, vendors typically recommend it go in the bottom of a rack, or at least build the rack from the bottom up if youre putting multiple chassis in.
2. Centre of gravity: heavy gear in the bottom of a rack helps to keep the rack stable. Install it in the top and the rack is more likely to keel over like an upside down pendulum, which you dont want to happen.

imseanbrown
Premium
New York, NY

I do agree with the bottom'ish part of a rack, but not the very bottom.... The intake fans were pretty messy when I got there (even for a telco switch site) - had to clean them up.... it's unfortunate that intake is always on the bottom... it just ends up sucking up dust....

If it were my project, i'd still have mounted them below the mid-point of gravity in the rack, but elevate it at least 7-8U off the ground/...
--
Thanks,
Sean Brown
»www.sleepyshark.com

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to imseanbrown

For my own morbid curiosity... How much of a call load does that DMS handle daily, or max capacity?

Any more interesting statistics on it?

What can I say, I love the old shit!

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to imseanbrown

Nice looking site. Of course, everyone knows what "I" am looking at in those photos.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to imseanbrown

said by imseanbrown:

actually, the 7600's we installed backwards.... I thought it was strange too, but I just did my job and didn't try to re-invent the wheel... It also miffed me that *EVER* piece of heavy equipment was in the bottom of the rack (ie: the Genband, and the 7600 gear).... lazy installers....

Repling to voxframe, this is toll site and an interconnect for a few different fiber providers... I think XO, AT&T, FPL Fibernet and a handful of other ones I didn't care to remember....

Placing equipment in the bottom of racks is a safety, stability and convienece issue. Not all offices are 7' environments. It is hard enough to place a 7600 in the bottom of a rack. Would you like to place it in the top of a 7' bay? How about a 9' bay? How about an 11' bay? If the answer is yes, would you like to work on everything from a DSX1 cross connect to an OCxxx while on a ladder?

Per ATT regulations, 7' bays are free standing -- do not require a top support -- as long as they're attached by four points at the bottom (in non-earthquake zones). Would it be more stable to have a 500 pound piece of gear in the bottom of the rack, or at top?

jmich
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ
reply to imseanbrown

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to TomS_

I would have installed the 7200 "backwards" so that the interfaces are on the same side as the interfaces on the 7600s. Who knows maybe what ever the 7600s replaced had all of the interfaces on that side so they just installed the 7600s that way to minimize the rerouting of cables.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to TomS_

"I just posted some pictures of an Australian exchange"

Where?