Search similar:

uniqs

dsl2012
@comcast.net

2 edits

dsl2012

Anon

Will at&t invest in infrastructure like Comcast's

Comcast seems to have much better technology on their hands as far as internet goes for residential/business/enterprise solutions. AT&T looks like they were asleep at the switch, and are now stuck with outdated, overpriced technologies like T1, DSL, POTS, U-verse, etc.

Considering at&t makes much more money than Comcast, will they ever dive in and try to beat them? The reason I am asking is because I feel like at any moment at&t is going to invest billions to compete with Comcast's offerings.

To me it looks like at&t is making money off of (a) people who don't know any better and (b) business who have had the same service for years and don't want to switch (or (C), if Comcast is not available). Otherwise, who would go with at&t when Comcast's higher-bandwidth, lower-priced options are there?

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

Re: [Praise] Will at&t invest in infrastructure like CC's

Just so you know, the site does have AT&T forums where your question might be more appropriate.

»AT&T

If you would like to have this topic moved to one of those, please indicate which one. Just, please, don't post in multiple forums.

If you choose to have it moved, I will remove the Praise tag I added for this forum before moving it.

dsl2012
@comcast.net

dsl2012

Anon

I really don't know where the best forum would be for this thread...it's more of a theoretical broadband discussion. If you would like to move it to a more appropriate forum, go ahead.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

The AT&T forums are pretty much split by area. Which one is a better fit for your location?

dsl2012
@comcast.net

dsl2012

Anon

at&t southeast would be the closest.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Thank you. Let's try that one then.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to dsl2012

to dsl2012

Re: Will at&t invest in infrastructure like Comcast's

It would be nice to see ATT invest in their land line infrastructure, but atm, they have it hard for wireless and the cash cow that it is.. I really wish they would sell off areas they have "deemed unprofitable" to build out to so the rest of us could experience the real internet!

yeah.. when hell freezes over

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to dsl2012

Premium Member

to dsl2012
Most money is invested in the fastest growing part of the company, which is wireless. The limitations of LTE are 100Mbps up and down, and that limit is moving up as technology evolves. U-verse is also a growth model, and is being invested in, as well as other larger (business) broadband/IP products as those are still growth sectors, however residential internet isn't much of a growth sector. If you owned a business, would you invest your money in the sectors growing the fastest, or the stagnant, slow growing sectors?

dmxrob
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Saint Peters, MO

dmxrob to dsl2012

Premium Member

to dsl2012
No.

jackoffjill
@windstream.net

jackoffjill to Mizzat

Anon

to Mizzat
You should invest in your infrastrucure, your wireline which is the backbone of your wireless network. Oh wait your numbers are bad so you dont get your bonus,on up the chain........... of comand. no money spent makes my bonus bigger!!!!! and i get a feather in my managent cap for half assing the job for no future growth!!!!!
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to Mizzat

to Mizzat
said by Mizzat:

Most money is invested in the fastest growing part of the company, which is wireless. The limitations of LTE are 100Mbps up and down, and that limit is moving up as technology evolves. U-verse is also a growth model, and is being invested in, as well as other larger (business) broadband/IP products as those are still growth sectors, however residential internet isn't much of a growth sector. If you owned a business, would you invest your money in the sectors growing the fastest, or the stagnant, slow growing sectors?

See, that being said, they should sell off the slower sectors if its deemed unprofitable to them compared to their "more profitable" areas.. A local company would have a higher interest in upgrading the network for services than they being that is their core.. But, I bet they bought laws to even prevent this from even happening. Let alone dare give up even a small chunk of territory, no matter how much sense it would make...

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

said by decifal7:

said by Mizzat:

See, that being said, they should sell off the slower sectors if its deemed unprofitable to them compared to their "more profitable" areas.. A local company would have a higher interest in upgrading the network for services than they being that is their core.. But, I bet they bought laws to even prevent this from even happening. Let alone dare give up even a small chunk of territory, no matter how much sense it would make...

I never said landline was unprofitable. If anything it is a cash cow at this point, but it's getting far up the timeline of maintenance outweighing profit, but surely not there yet.

The four sections of timeline is Introduction, growth, maturity and decline, it is just entering decline now, where profits go down and maintenance costs go up. There will eventually be a new product to replace it, and that product is IP. There is no reason to sell it off until further down the line.