spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kornelis
join:2012-01-19
Lynden, WA

kornelis

Obi110 and ??

I have been with viatalk for many years and I my yearly plan is about to expire. I have one line and use about 300 to 400 minutes a month, 99% US calls (from the US). I am thinking of buying a obi110 and switching to another voip provider (callcentric, voip.ms, ?). My current # can be ported (according to callcentric web page). My yearly plan with viatalk works out to about $20 per month. Who ever I switch to must be reliable and easy to use. The service must also pass the 'wife test' in that the switchover won't be noticed by my wife and 'just works'. Does anyone have any suggestions for a provider that would fit my basic needs?
Thanks.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I've never, ever once, regretted my decision to go with Callcentric. My wife hasn't had any complaints and, with usage like yours, I pay about $15 per month.

Others may be as reliable, but I get spooked seeing threads about this or that provider's server in city X being down, or other issues. I think there's a reason you never see that with Callcentric.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to kornelis

Premium Member

to kornelis
Don't use either but given the reputation of both Callcentric and Voip.ms don't think you could go wrong with either.

Since you are close to your renewal date with Viatalk it might be best to drop to VT_lite plan. Its month to month. Then try out either Callcentric or Voip.ms just get a temp number and port when you are satisfied with your choice.

You could always setup outbound and test callcentric without porting. Guessing you could do the same with voip.ms not sure.

I think voip.ms is a Canadian company so watch for extra CC charges from you bank not voip.ms.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to kornelis

to kornelis
I'll put in a plug here for Anveo. Though their track record is not as long as Callcentric's, AFAIK they have never been down. I rank them up there with CC for quality, reliability and support.

A Personal Unlimited number is only $1.99/mo. Add 911 at $0.80/mo. and 400 minutes of outbound calling at $0.01/min., totaling a monthly bill of $6.79.

You could save even more by making most or all of your outgoing calls on Google Voice, presently free. A possible issue is that your outbound caller ID on those calls would be the GV number (not your Anveo number). So, some people will be calling back on GV and if there were a problem (GV has essentially no support), they couldn't get through unless they knew the Anveo number.
DaveSin
join:2009-07-17

DaveSin

said by Stewart:

I'll put in a plug here for Anveo. Though their track record is not as long as Callcentric's, AFAIK they have never been down. I rank them up there with CC for quality, reliability and support.

A Personal Unlimited number is only $1.99/mo. Add 911 at $0.80/mo. and 400 minutes of outbound calling at $0.01/min., totaling a monthly bill of $6.79.

You could save even more by making most or all of your outgoing calls on Google Voice, presently free. A possible issue is that your outbound caller ID on those calls would be the GV number (not your Anveo number). So, some people will be calling back on GV and if there were a problem (GV has essentially no support), they couldn't get through unless they knew the Anveo number.

+1

If you do not want to use GV, you could use CallWithUs as a backup for outgoing calls ( low cost International rates) and be able to set your outgoing CID to your anveo number. anveo has a tons of features and outstanding customer support, coupled that with your OBi ATA, you will have more feature sets to make your head spin

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to kornelis

Premium Member

to kornelis
A simple obi100 will do what you want and costs a bit less than a 110. Difference is the 110 has a rj11 for a POTS line pass through. The 100 is VoIP only.
scanchain
join:2004-05-22
San Jose, CA

scanchain to kornelis

to kornelis
I recently ported from CallCentric to Anveo. Don't get me wrong, CallCentric works perfectly. It's just that I am pinching pennies by switching to Anveo. I also like the tons of possibilities with Anveo's IVR system.

With either provider, you'll get lots of support here. Both providers also respond very quickly on the forum here.
kornelis
Lynden, WA

kornelis

Thanks for all your tips. One last question then regarding hardware. Obi110 or pap2t? - the pap2t can be had quite cheaply off of ebay.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

2 edits

dcurrey

Premium Member

DO NOT BUY A PAP2 OFF EBAY!!!!!!

Lots of reports of defective and cheap knockoff ATAs.

Other than that obis are new but haven't heard any complaints about them. pap2t has been around for some time and has proved to be a reliable.

Think cisco released a pap2t replacement but don't remember the model.

Edit: Here it is »The New Cisco SPA-112
kornelis
Lynden, WA

kornelis

Thannks again. I purchased a new obi110 for $44. Decent price.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to kornelis

to kornelis
There have been some complaints on the obi in past. Firmware seems to have fixed the majority of them now.
One complaint was that in the past the jitter buffer which was automatic grew too big and did not get smaller when the line issues went away fast enough.
I am using an OBI now and have not noticed this issue.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to kornelis

Premium Member

to kornelis
I think that you would do well with any of the providers mentioned thus far.

------------------------------

My personal recommendation would be CallCentric. If you do go with them, you may find these useful regarding the Obi:

»www.callcentric.com/supp ··· i/obi100
»www.obitalk.com/forum/in ··· pic=79.0

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to kornelis

to kornelis
has anyone tested Faxing on the Obi? I mean I have the Linksys 9000 and it supports multiple codecs for voice and fax. Can anyone let me know if obi does this as well...?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

As of this moment the OBi doesn't support T.38, though it's an often-requested feature so the possibility is there. I suspect faxing with the OBi would produce results the same as faxing with any other ATA using G.711: it could work in good conditions but I wouldn't rely on it for business use.

gerick
join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX

gerick

I have sent and received faxes with my HP OfficeJet all-in-one over my Obi100 using both google voice and voip.ms premium.