Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

I apologise ...

As a Marylander and as a Democrat, I can only apologize for the continued support and co-sponsorship of SOPA/PIPA by my elected Senator Benjamin Cardin. Apparently he just doesn't get it ... and continues to support the censorship of the Internet, to the detriment of the rest of us, the people he was elected to serve. I can assure you this is one Marylander who will NOT be voting him back in office the next election.

Today ... I am ashamed to be a Democrat.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

I thought he pulled his support.

I noticed Mikulski is quiet about it.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 edit

He said he would not vote for it in it's present format, but still co-sponsors PIPA.

EDIT: After further research I see that he did in fact drop co-sponsorship for PIPA early yesterday afternoon, and now opposes it; "after hearing from constituents". I'm glad he finally saw the light.

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news···nate.ars

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to moonpuppy

said by moonpuppy:

Outside of the Google petition I didn't bother contacting either of them. Babs doesn't care about you if don't in Montgomery, PG or Baltimore counties or in Baltimore itself. Cardin might just send me a form letter thanking me for contacting him but that's about it.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by pnh102:

said by moonpuppy:

Outside of the Google petition I didn't bother contacting either of them. Babs doesn't care about you if don't in Montgomery, PG or Baltimore counties or in Baltimore itself. Cardin might just send me a form letter thanking me for contacting him but that's about it.

Yeah ... I got one of those form letters about a month or so ago when I sent him a letter about his short-sighted sponsorship of PIPA. I agree about our representatives only caring about their backyard constituents ... after all, they still seem to consider us here on the Shore as the "shithouse of an Eastern Shore".

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by newview:

... after all, they still seem to consider us here on the Shore as the "shithouse of an Eastern Shore".

I remember seeing a bumper sticker to that effect, on a car with a Delaware license plate.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

That comment alienated a lot of people in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia (DelMarVa) and somewhat resurrected the talk on the Eastern Shore of seceding from the Union.

Desdinova
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

Yup, same here. After getting the identical form letter concerning two different tech-related issues, I've given up on any kind of meaningful dialogue with the officials I didn't elect (and yes, I vote *grin*).

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to newview

said by newview:

That comment alienated a lot of people in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia (DelMarVa) and somewhat resurrected the talk on the Eastern Shore of seceding from the Union.

You guys gotta embrace the term... I can understand the term "shithouse" is in itself quite offensive and caustic... but you can call me a proud Fredneck any day of the week.
--

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to newview

I sent letters to Schumer and Gillibrand (my senators from NY), making it clear that if they vote for PIPA, they are not getting my vote next time they are up, regardless of what else they say or do.

I received a somewhat "form" reply from Schumer, at least it looks like whoever one of his staff replied actually read my letter.

»Re: SOPA, maybe I should start voting....

Haven't heard sh*t from Gillibrand, not even a form reply. To me, this obviously means that she doesn't care. In turn, why should I care about her getting re-elected?

Again, my "offer" stands. If they vote for PIPA, I'm not voting for them again.

At the very least if was refreshing to see that my HR Rep (Bob Turner) is against SOPA. He's fairly new, and a replacement for the infamous Anthony Weiner, who would have probably supported it had he not gotten involved in his Twitter Sex scandal and was forced to resign.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

said by Pirate515:

... my HR Rep (Bob Turner) is against SOPA. He's fairly new ...

There's the reason right there. I will definitely be looking at the ages of any of candidates in upcoming elections to get a feel for whether they actually use and understand the new technologies or just parrot the lobbyist lines.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to Pirate515

I called Gillibrand's office today and spoke with someone who told me that she understands there are some concerns with PIPA but will work to improve it. The problem? PIPA goes for a vote next week. Not a lot of time to shore up its problems.

I was just watching the Republican debate and found myself agreeing with Gingrich. It's about the only issue I agree with him on, so it was insanely weird to find myself applauding his stance. Meanwhile, I'm against the position of my Democrat senators.

I think I just saw a flying pig!
--
-Jason Levine

moonpuppy

Glen Burnie, MD

said by Jason Levine:

I called Gillibrand's office today and spoke with someone who told me that she understands there are some concerns with PIPA but will work to improve it. The problem? PIPA goes for a vote next week. Not a lot of time to shore up its problems.

I was just watching the Republican debate and found myself agreeing with Gingrich. It's about the only issue I agree with him on, so it was insanely weird to find myself applauding his stance. Meanwhile, I'm against the position of my Democrat senators.

I think I just saw a flying pig!

Working to improve it? Is this like Obamacare? Let's pass something we cannot read and then improve it later.

Even President Teleprompter knew to pull his support publicly because of all the backlash but Harry Reid is still trying to save face with this one. The entertainment industry has been big fans of the liberal side of the hall but these bills show an almost disdain for the very people that keep them rich (their customers.)

This bill is not going anywhere even if it does pass the Senate because the House knows better than to help Harry Reid.

moonpuppy

Glen Burnie, MD
reply to newview

said by newview:

They should because without Ocean City, Maryland would have to really work at raising revenues. O'Malley knows they hate him over there but what does he care, he relies on votes from Baltimore City, PG and Montgomery Counties.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to moonpuppy

I completely agree. You can't simply "plug the holes" on SOPA/PIPA. They're too fatally flawed. We need to kill them right now. *If* we need legislation (and I'm not fully convinced we do), we need to start from scratch and this time have the tech companies engaged in the process instead of shutting any anti-SOPA folks out.
--
-Jason Levine

moonpuppy

Glen Burnie, MD

Make no mistake, legislation is needed. We also need to enforce the legislation already out there.

It's funny how I see people selling obviously pirated DVDs on the street. These are the real bad camcorder versions of movies. And yet, the cops do not arrest them for selling counterfeit material. They do more harm than the digital pirates and actually profit highly off of it.