join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Robert to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Google anti-SOPA/PIPA actions will disappear soon

said by FFH5:

And SOPA/PIPA, despite the slippery slope arguments by opponents, is NOT designed to block US sites. It is squarely aimed at foreign sites and governments that tolerate/encourage the stealing of US content. The alarmists always want EVERY law gutted that could potentially be abused somehow. But that is true of every law ever passed. So for them we should have no laws, because all laws can be abused. That is an anarchist's position.

It is not our government's place to police the Internet, or police foreign governments.

Have you read your signature lately?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

isn't hypocrisy fun?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

Not everything can be based on 1 statement.

I like small government. But I am also patriotic and want a military that can defend our country - even if it costs more than I like. I hate thieves(and copyright infringers) and want them prosecuted - even if it isn't always cost effective. I'd like healthcare to be cheaper, but not at the expense of the gov't calling all the shots on whether I get to live or die in a cost effective manner. I want illegal immigrants found and deported and I want those who knowingly hire them jailed, even though it would be government that has to perform that function at a cost. Etc, etc, etc. In other words, attempts to pigeonhole a group you don't like should not resort to the poor tactics of picking 1 item of something they support and then using that as some std of purity to measure every one of their goals. The world is not black and white, it is gray.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

The world is not black and white, it is gray.

The RIAA/MPAA doesn't see it that way. To them, the world is black and white.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I hate thieves(and copyright infringers) and want them prosecuted - even if it isn't always cost effective.

Then we can expect you to speak out against these copyright violators and call for their accounting; under the full measure of the law.

If your position has any credibility, that is what you will do.
quote:
This is a screencap of PIPA co-sponsor Roy Blunt's Twitter page from a couple of days ago.
The background image is by photographer Walter Rowland. I spoke to his wife Linny, and she told me:

"Wow, I'm so surprised to see that someone would do this. Especially a senator! It's even more of a violation because I'm actually in the photo so it's as if I'm supporting his beliefs. Yes, that's one of my husband's photos who is actually a semi-professional photographer, and no, they weren't given permission."

Roy has since changed the background on his Twitter in an attempt to cover his tracks.

This is PIPA supporter and Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill's Twitter page as it appears right now.
And this is the background image she stole from Flickr user J. Stephen Conn, who told me this:

"I do not recall giving the senator permission to use this photo on her Twitter account. I have put the photo in the Creative Commons, which means anyone may use it for non-commercial purposes, however, proper attribution of the photo should be given because it is NOT in the public domain."

The above screencap shows the homepage of Florida congressman/SOPA co-sponsor/probable PIPA supporter Dennis Ross' website.
Which features the appropriately titled illustration "Overweight Government Pig" by cartoonist John S. Pritchett. You'll notice that Dennis cropped out the part where it says "© John Pritchett". We contacted John, and he told us:

"To my knowledge, I did not license the usage of my "Overweight Govt. Pig" illustration to Dennis Ross."
Thanks to dave See Profile, whose post brought it to my attention.
That's more attribution than the 'thieving' PIPA supporters bother to give.

NV
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Exactly! As there is a lot of grey would should always error on the side of rights vs censorship. Laws already exist to prevent copyright violations... wasn't megauploads just shut down. This was done without SOPA. SOPA simply removes due process.

I don't know of anyone against copyright protection... but this is not the problem with SOPA. The issue is that it removes due process.

We live with certain evils... that is just a fact. It's the price we pay to live the way that we do. But we need to all admit this and then look at bills such as SOPA.
jerseyjoe123
join:2008-04-28
Picton, ON

jerseyjoe123

said by tcope:

wasn't megauploads just shut down. This was done without SOPA. SOPA simply removes due process.

I don't know of anyone against copyright protection... but this is not the problem with SOPA. The issue is that it removes due process.

MegaUploads was blocked because the Entertainment industry claimed they had an infringing video on their site that contained a number of high profile artists in it. However, it was MegaUpload who produced the video and had paid the artists to appear in it. The Entertainment industry had no ownership of the video, but still had MegaUpload blocked for a day or two, and disrupted MegaUpload's business, without even validating that any copyright infringement had actually occurred, and without following legal due process.

SOPA just gives them the ability to do the same on a whim to anyone. Luckily, MegaUpload had the media connections, finances, and the clout to push back quickly. Imagine what would have happened if it had been a small video business just starting out? Such an incident would have ruined that business.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by jerseyjoe123:

MegaUploads was blocked because the Entertainment industry claimed they had an infringing video on their site that contained a number of high profile artists in it. However, it was MegaUpload who produced the video and had paid the artists to appear in it. The Entertainment industry had no ownership of the video, but still had MegaUpload blocked for a day or two, and disrupted MegaUpload's business, without even validating that any copyright infringement had actually occurred, and without following legal due process.

Not as I read... the Justice Dept indited them for hosting copywrited material to the tune of $500 million of loss revenue. This is not a "video".... this speaks of "multiple" files.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to jerseyjoe123

Premium Member

to jerseyjoe123
MegaUpload is a legit site.

This takedown and arrest is an example of where this path is leading us.

The USA better be careful or the rest of the world will copy and pirate everything Hollywood makes as a matter of principle.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by KrK:

MegaUpload is a legit site.

Oh, give me a break. Megauoload is far from legitimate. Having SOME legit files, or even a small percentage of legit files(even 20 or 30 %) doesn't make them legit. And the pretend ignorance by site mgt of what is on their servers is so bogus.

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· load.ars

But the government asserts that Megaupload merely wanted the veneer of legitimacy, while its employees knew full well that the site's main use was to distribute infringing content. Indeed, the government points to numerous internal e-mails and chat logs from employees showing that they were aware of copyrighted material on the site and even shared it with each other. Because of this, the government says that the site does not qualify for a “safe harbor” of the kind that protected YouTube from Viacom's $1 billion lawsuit.

For instance, the “abuse tool” allegedly does not remove the actual file being complained about by a rightsholder. Instead, it only removes a specific Web address linked to that file—but there might be hundreds of such addresses for popular content.

Employees also had access to analytics. One report showed that a specific linking site had “produce[d] 164,214 visits to Megaupload for a download of the copyrighted CD/DVD burning software package Nero Suite 10. The software package had the suggested retail price of $99.” The government's conclusion: Megaupload knew what was happening and did little to stop it.

Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

What the percentage of internet traffic that is totally legit? Probably only 20 or 30%. SHUT IT DOWN

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

It is not our government's place to police the Internet, or police foreign governments.

LOL, when will this guy quit?

He claims to be a republican yet supports big government nanny police intervention.

So funny!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by DataRiker:

said by Robert:

LOL, when will this guy quit?

He claims to be a republican yet supports big government nanny police intervention.

So funny!

Republicans love big Government.

But conservative != Republican