join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

doesn't make sense

I don't understand, they recently dropped the price on their highest HSI tier, increased the throughput from 60Mb to 100Mb. Now they are raising the price..... sounds like they can't figure out what they are doing!

AND of course, this is in addition to the modem rental fee increase from $5 to $7 a couple of months ago....
JohnW3
join:2011-03-13

JohnW3

thats one bad thing most cable co's do.. slap a modem "fee" My provider Cox Communications only has 3 months payment and it's not that big and thats all.. if u get cable internet best thing to do is buy ur own modem it will pay off in the long run. if not tech savvy make sure tech support will support the modem.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

I don't understand, they recently dropped the price on their highest HSI tier, increased the throughput from 60Mb to 100Mb. Now they are raising the price..... sounds like they can't figure out what they are doing!

At the end of the day back in Novemebr just a mere 2 months ago someone on Ultra was paying $100 a month for 60 Mbps. In March they'll be paying $88 for 100 Mbps.

AND of course, this is in addition to the modem rental fee increase from $5 to $7 a couple of months ago....

Most of these modems are new docsis 3.0 modems which are more expensive. Also the modem price had been $5 a month for several years.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by crazyk4952:

At the end of the day back in Novemebr just a mere 2 months ago someone on Ultra was paying $100 a month for 60 Mbps. In March they'll be paying $88 for 100 Mbps.

Most of these modems are new docsis 3.0 modems which are more expensive. Also the modem price had been $5 a month for several years.

Right, so why didn't they just make it $88 in the first place.

Also, I was renting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for $5, then then raised this to $7. The fee has nothing to do with DOCSIS 3.0. It is just an arbitrary way that they can increase the cost to most customers without having to change their advertised price.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by crazyk4952:

Right, so why didn't they just make it $88 in the first place.

would have made more sense. We are talking about Charter though.

Also, I was renting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for $5, then then raised this to $7. The fee has nothing to do with DOCSIS 3.0. It is just an arbitrary way that they can increase the cost to most customers without having to change their advertised price.

Want to avoid rental fees BUY your own modem. Unless you're in the habit of changing ISPs doesn't make sense to rent a modem.