how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rfcsoulja

join:2012-01-20
Oklahoma City, OK

Multiple devices on router

I have at&t uverse and have the a 2wire router model 3801HGV. I live in an apartment complex and have been fighting slow speeds during evening hours. I finally get onto my routers and start looking around and see 7-12(at times) different devices on my router. I have done everything to changing the passwords, making it so it only recognizes my pc's mac address, and changed the wireless password while clearing the device list multiple times to no avail. On a different page, it shows that the majority of these devices are hooked up by ethernet. . . There are no devices physically hooked up to the ethernet ports on my router. Is it possible I am sharing the same incoming internet with my neighbors in the building and that is what my router is showing?

Tanshin

join:2009-07-18
West Simsbury, CT
kudos:1

Do you have U-Verse TV? The STBs will be shown as devices, often times as unknown.

rfcsoulja

join:2012-01-20
Oklahoma City, OK

We have 3 tvs with uverse. Even with counting those, there are more than there should be.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Every set top box, computer and wifi client has a mac address you can compare them to the 2wire list

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to rfcsoulja

LAN devices connected through a receiver will show up as hpna protocol. Similarly, wifi devices connected to a secondary AP that is hardwired in will all show up as ethernet.
If someone was stealing your internet with all 4 LAN Ports completely empty, the suspect devices would be listed as wireless or hpna.

robo_geek

join:2007-08-09
Roswell, GA
reply to wayjac

Note that you can tell the manufacturer of the device by the mac adddress, as the first six characters are called the OUID.

So, for example, A4A24 is Cisco SPTVG (Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group)....which are your STBs

0024A1 is motorola cell phone, 1C65 is Liteon, which makes DVD players.

»www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to rfcsoulja

Any cell phones, computers, tablets, etc. that I have wireless connectivity will show up.