uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to moonpuppy

Re: Who cares about Senator Patrick Leahy?

Leahy is right about this is in his statement:
Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property, criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy.”
--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

rebel1

@sbcglobal.net

said by FFH:

Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property, criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy.”

Poor baby.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Except I do not see how SOPA or PIPA would fix that. The Chinese can set up shop on .cn and the Russians on .ru. They will continue to sell freely within their own countries and laugh as web sites disappear because of lack of due process on takedown requests. They may block access to people in the United States but the EU and other countries can maintain unfettered access, especially if they use national .xx named domains.

I do not support piracy but as the Megaupload takedown shows, there are laws already in place that work and can be used. Heck, Megaupload was based in China according to news reports and they were still able to be shut down. Besides, as was reported here last summer, the Internet community was not invited to hearings or to any bill mockups regarding SOPA/PIPA. The content industry wrote the bill and did not want any debates. It wasn't until opposition started getting traction in the late fall that some Internet companies were invited and even then, everything they basically said was ignored.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

nutcr0cker

join:2003-04-02
Chandler, AZ
kudos:2
reply to FFH

So what you are saying that if your finger hurts the doctor should chop off your head correct. Why bot send these scum bucket politicians to china and have sopa there.

Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Seattle, WA
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong for that matter. Who cares at the moment what the criminals oversees are saying? Americans realized how bad these bills were. If stopping the bills this time also meant stopping the debate, then so be it. They all can go cry me a river, build a bridge and get the f over it.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property...

Funny. When I read that I was struck by the absolute irony of that statement.

If I may:
Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect the American drive for Individual Liberty,
an unimaginably corrupt government is smugly watching the United States Senate try to follow their example - of relegating citizens to the status of exploitable commodity.

NV
--
Adopting other people's animosity is The New Stupid.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Why should non Americans care about American laws? Do you care about Saudi laws? Do you stop women from driving?

What kind of logic is this?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by DataRiker:

Why should non Americans care about American laws?

because their countries signed treaties to honor our trade laws and copyright laws IF we honor their trade and copyright laws. It is tit for tat. We protect their rights if they protect our citizens rights.

woody7
Premium
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

But for the most part they aren't
--
BlooMe

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

because their countries signed treaties to honor our trade laws and copyright laws IF we honor their trade and copyright laws. It is tit for tat. We protect their rights if they protect our citizens rights.

Simply put, their government sold them out. Nobody respects that.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to n2jtx

I do not support piracy but as the Megaupload takedown shows, there are laws already in place that work and can be used. Heck, Megaupload was based in China according to news reports and they were still able to be shut down.

SOPA wouldn't even shut these sites down. It would seize the domain name and close any ad network accounts, but the site would still be up and accessible by IP address. One HOSTS file entry or backup domain name or even link with an IP address instead of a domain name later and the pirates would go right back to pirating. So this bill wouldn't have even stopped the piracy it claimed to stop.

Besides, as was reported here last summer, the Internet community was not invited to hearings or to any bill mockups regarding SOPA/PIPA. The content industry wrote the bill and did not want any debates. It wasn't until opposition started getting traction in the late fall that some Internet companies were invited and even then, everything they basically said was ignored.

Exactly. Leahy is whining about how the Senate won't even debate this, but they *DID* debate this. When the law was being formed, they locked out tech companies and anyone not pro-SOPA. When it was being debated, they sneered at the "nerds" for saying it would break the Internet. And now, when everyone uses the Internet to rally support and beat it back, he whines about how we all should have just told him so he could tweak the bull a tiny bit to mollify us and then pass it.
--
-Jason Levine

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Steve B

There's a saying that we should rather 10 guilty men go free than jail one innocent man. In this case, we're not immediately taking action against some overseas pirates*, in order to not shut down legitimate businesses/individuals. I'd say that's an acceptable tradeoff.

*This is putting aside, for a second, the fact that SOPA probably wouldn't have stopped them anyway.
--
-Jason Levine

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by DataRiker:

Why should non Americans care about American laws?

Because their countries signed treaties to honor our trade laws and copyright laws IF we honor their trade and copyright laws. It is tit for tat. We protect their rights if they protect our citizens' rights.

If there are treaties in place, then why not force the governments of the countries that do not respect our intellectual property to do something about their own offenders, or terminate those treaties if they don't. For example, at one point US and some of the countries in Western Europe did put pressure on Russia to shut down AllOfMP3.com in exchange for them allowing Russia's bid to enter WTO to go through. Similarly, if China does not respect our copyrights, it would be a perfect excuse to put blocks on their imports or at least raise tariffs/taxes, which may in turn bring some manufacturing jobs back home.

Let me know if I'm making too much sense here.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

Tariffs against China will never happen as long as the campaign money keeps flowing in.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by moonpuppy:

Tariffs against China will never happen as long as the campaign money keeps flowing in.

To quote Michele Bachmann in a rare stroke of oratory genius:

"Hu's your Daddy?"

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to FFH

Damn, we need Batman on the job.

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to FFH

Yeah well there exits now many laws and treaties between us and other countries to deal with that problem and there is no need for SOPA/PIPA. This link says it better than I;

»www.ted.com/talks/defend_our_fre···dea.html

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to FFH

Then that means there are existing legal mechanisms in place to deal with those types of problems and SOPA?PIPA is not needed.