All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hudiat
join:2011-10-13

hudiat

Absolute last chance

Dan, is there a known issue in my area today. I am getting extremely high packet loss. Unless you honestly tell me there is an issue in the area and it is being worked on, then I am done. I don't want to here swap out modem, etc. Unless it is a wide spread issue being worked on, then I don't care. WOW has had the chance to make sure all the equipment at the house level was good. This arris modem/router combo is garbage. Why WOW would choose such a crappy product is stupid. Atleast give the option.
I will settle with the same crappy service from ATT for 2/3 the price.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI
GL.iNet GL-B1300
Netgear CM500

mix

Before you cancel, remind me, did you bridge that Arris modem/router so you can use your own router, or are you actually using it as a router? A lot of people seem to have fixed all their mystery problems lately by bridging and disabling the routing portion on these units.
hudiat

hudiat

Yes, bridged peoperly. Same results with and without my own router. My own router shows 0 packets lost, with the destination showing around 10% packet loss.

All worked fine for a week and a half, then boom, exactly what has been happening. Someone comes out, works for a while then stops. What is wow going to do, send someone out again? Just to break in 1-3 weeks again. Also the random high pings with the arris (everyone i know can recreate it). Friends with SB6121 say they can't recreate it. There should not be extra set up steps(bridging) or issues that go away with a different model modem(high ping jumps). Bottom line, I don't know why wow went with the arris combo, but it wasnt for the customers benefit.
hudiat

hudiat to mix

to mix
And a friend about 3-5 miles away just messaged me asking if my internet has been crap the past few hours. Must be an area issue. I hope it gets fixed soon. There was just an area issue that internet/cable completely out for like 30min to an hour 2 weeks ago. This is insane to have this many problems over a whole area this frequently.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm

This has been ongoing for days after WOW did a renumber and they have apparently been COMPLETELY unaware of it. Talk about incompetence and unprofessional in the networking department, nevermind the config being wrong and dangerous.

Here's one of the gateways for the region; hey look, massive packetloss and latency problems.
»/r3 ··· 7e2a2.NY
Angrier, more detailed wall of text going in a separate post.
hudiat

hudiat

Yeah, I called the supervisor I had worked with in the past, he said my modem looks fine. Told him a friend 5 miles away also having same exact issues over the past few hours specifically, "I don't see any issues in the area, I will continue to monitor and get back to you" Something is wrong obviously. WOW has hit the point in my opinion of being just another cable company. They used to stand out for being superior, but no longer. Just more of the same. I know whole home is coming, but not here yet. No ipad apps like competition. Even the stations that have apps, ie TBS, TNT, that need you to log in, WOW isn't listed. So they declined in service without adding all the extra stuff competitors have. They need to add all that other stuff, or get back to there roots of being better. As it stands now though, they look like they have no idea which direction to go, start to do a little a both, but can't do either well.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to hudiat

Premium Member

to hudiat
Click for full size
We currently have an XO circuit that had been having issues for a few days. It is currently completely turned down, and all traffic that was routed on it has been routed around that circuit at this time. Unfortunately the traffic does get very high now on the other circuits during peak times, as we have one less circuit to work with. XO is working to get that circuit back up and running, but the problem you're having might be related to bandwidth on one of the other circuits.

Also, we do have access to TBS/Turner content, as well has HBOGO/MAXGO, not sure if you missed that.
hudiat

1 edit

hudiat

Dan, thanks for the tech update, why was the cleveland supervisor not able to give me that info? Also, it has been all day, from about 11am til now, still crap. That has had issues for days, good to know someone at wow is up to date on the situation, but that doesn't really explain why at around 11am me and other people started having extreme issues, that persist to even know. While in the past hour or so, my packet loss as decreased, my ping is higher. My average ping time to google is now in the 60's, ususally 30's, earlier today 40's. So the packet loss is gone, while ping went up. Also the TTL keeps changing, almost always was 51, now in the 40's that seems odd. While these issues are completely unrelated to my previous issues, the timing is horrible, you have to admit that. WOW finally gets my issues figured out, then this.

When did WOW get TBS/turner? I saw HBO/max a while ago. I have been trying like once a month on the other apps. I swear I tried between thanksgiving and xmas and it was not there. In addition I got a end of the year email from WOW that mentioned all the changes in 2011, and mentioned HBO/max but not others. Good to hear. When will you have an IOS/android app that lets us control DVR, or like time warner even lets you view live TV via app.

edit: ping was running while I was typing that. went back and there is a point where you can see the obvious change. Ill post a pic in a minute.

»i.imgur.com/p1wHr.jpg

ping in 50's with a 46 TTL
then just changes to ping in the 30s with a TTL of 50
In addition notice the random jumps to over 100, that was happening before this. I know others with ARRIS this happens too. A buddy bought his own SB6121, he said the arris did it, the SB6121 does not. Obviously a bad firmware, or crappy product.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

Please remember, ICMP traffic gets extremely low priority on routers. Having mostly good pings with a few bad ones here and there is not really a problem. If it's consistently high, that's could be a different story.

The current situation with the circuit outage is this. Over the past few days, that circuit has been having intermittent issues, in which we were told multiple times were resolved, but it continued to happen. This morning we made the decision to shut that circuit down and take all the traffic off of it. As of a few hours ago, you should be in better shape. Until XO gets that circuit resolved, we're doing our best to keep everyone running around it, but there could still be some issues when moving all traffic from one circuit onto other ones without having a chance to really test it out first.

Since I know your whole situation, and I know how frustrated you've been, I'm attaching a screen shot from monitoring software to show at least some evidence of this circuit I'm referring to being down, so you know I'm not just saying this to calm the situation.
hudiat

1 edit

hudiat

I appreciate the info. But I am still frustrated. And those random high pings are noticable in online games. In addition when a plain modem, not docsis 3 but just to test was hooked up, it didn't happen. Others with SB6121 claim not to see it when doing a ping. The arris is junk. It may work for most people, but anything more than browsing it becomes more apparent how bad it is. Using a combo is stupid when I am sure most customers already have a router. It just has to much liklihood of causing more issues over a plain modem. Wow realized they made a mistake with the DTA's and quickly made all basic cable digital in clear qam afterwards. This is an equal mistake. Wow keeps bringing bad equipment in.

What about some clear qam HD not mapping to the correct channel. I should be

200 abc
201 cbs
202 fox
203 nbc
204 uab
etc

fox and everything after UAB map correctly but abc cbs and fox I still have to go to the decimal number. On my TV signal page the ones that are wrong have PSIP in red, and the ones that map correctly so PSIP in green. Although I don't know what that means, but that is the difference.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

I will check with video engineers about the PSIP information. Please also be aware that not all TV manufacturers have the same types of QAM tuners. We do our best to make the channels appear the same as our digital boxes, but not all QAM tuners react the same way. Some tuners will show this information differently than others, and we have no way to guarantee all TV's will display channels the same. I'm not sure if this is the case here, so I will forward this upwards and see if there might be something in the PSIP that changed.

For more information on PSIP - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr ··· Protocol
hudiat

hudiat

Did a rescan this morning and fixed. Last scan was recent, within a few days. Fixed. I guess they could have fixed it before I mentioned it, but it was still wrong for like a week. If I just called regular support they would not have a clue what I was talking about. I know stuff goes wrong, but its the little stuff like this that happens way too often lately. Waiting for customers to complain about having to use dta when they have a clear qam tuner before making the basic clear qam. It's those kind of decisions that show wow is thinking like a cable company not thinking as one of the customers. Obviously I have been ourspoken about the arris. Aa a company it may seem like a good choice, but as a customer it sucks. It is huge, adds more configuration steps, and as a wireless router is junk. Is it really N only. I did not mess with it much, but it seems it might be.

Dan, I know these are not your decisions. You are just here trying to help. It sucks you have to deal with this because of others decisions.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to hudiat

Premium Member

to hudiat
Before anyone says anything, just providing an update. XO still has issues with our circuit, and we're currently running very high on traffic on other circuits in Cleveland. This will most likely cause some issues with speed an connectivity to some Cleveland customers. We're looking at what we can do about it, but being down a circuit, we are very limited on bandwidth at this time.
hudiat

hudiat

Thanks for the update. Any ETA at all before it is fully working again?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

No ETR on the circuit at this time, we have escalated the issue with the XO support team.
ray2
join:2004-01-15
Des Plaines, IL

ray2

could be why i seems slow in desplaines il dew to this xo beying down and now reroutoed not sure if related to me but seam better thanks dan
hudiat

hudiat to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Back to my favorite past time of watching video streams buffer over and over.
hudiat

hudiat

Ok 10pm on a Sunday night, I pay for 30/3 and my download has not been over 2 in hours. Upload is fine, even hit 4 once earlier (3.96). Ping is hit or miss. I understand there is that circuit issue, but Cleveland is getting sub par service and wow needs to make it right for everyone. Not just the people here complaining. This is insane. I hate time Warner, yet will probably switch soon.

Big Jimmy
@wideopenwest.com

Big Jimmy

Anon

Even though I understand that you're cheesed off about the quality of service you're getting, did you not see the part where Dan said there was no ETR on the problem? Not to mention that this isn't an official forum for WOW, just somewhere that a WOW guy shows up once or twice a day to help out where he can.
hudiat

hudiat

And it's acceptable to be paying for a service, it not work, and have no idea when it will again? Maybe if anyone at wow had a clue. My area broadband supervisor was not even aware there was this issue. Even worse is that this is not an official wow forum. That a WOW guy just shows up to help is the best support we can get. Are you defending that? The fact is I pay for 30/3, I don't get it, wow gives discount. I don't want discount, I want Internet. Thus TW will get my business as long as they continue to give me Internet. If wow could give an ETA I will atleast know something. Otherwise I indefinitely unreliable service, with little to no tech support other than here.

Big Jimmy
@wideopenwest.com

Big Jimmy

Anon

How is it WORSE that he spends his time here helping people on an random forum on the internet? I LOVE that I've got a way to get answers to easy questions without having to call, even though I know I'm not going to get an answer right away.

I'm not defending them, and I'm not saying it's acceptable that you're not getting the service you're paying for. It sucks, and it sucks pretty bad, but they're working on it with a third party, and meanwhile you're complaining about not getting a resolution on an unofficial forum that you'll change your service if you don't get it fixed soon.

It'd be like if you went into a McDonalds, where a bank owner ate lunch once in a while, and started complaining that if you don't get better rates you're switching companies. I would want service too, and believe me I'd be going NUTS if I didn't get at least 4-6 down, but they're clearly working on it and you're still complaining.

I work in IT, and this reminds me of a situation a few months ago. This guy has a new hire coming in, needs a computer for her, but since they're paid from another site that's where the hardware comes from, so he contacts the IT person there to get it all lined up. I give her a spare (so she can actually get some work done) until it shows up, and he proceeds to come complain to me once every day or two that she still doesn't have a new computer, and what BS it is. I'm sympathetic, because the laptop I gave her is crap, but since someone else is working on it there isn't anything I can do. Dan is working with other people to get the problem resolved, and whether you come in here and complain about it nothing will expedite the issue. If you can't wait, THEN SWITCH SERVICES. Nobody is stopping you from doing it, and I doubt that it's going to break Dan's heart that you took a walk, because even though they lost a customer, he might do the same thing.
hudiat

1 edit

hudiat

I didnt mean its worse dan is here. I meant it is worse from wow's service stand point that we HAVE to come here to get a real answer on anything more than a tech just swapping equipment. Regardless if the forum is official, dan officially does work for wow. We reach out to a wow employee, and we extremely lucky to have dan here.

Go read the whole post from someone else about clevelands west side. The whole market is unstable. This being unofficial yet as customers we get more info here than any official contact at wow. The whole point of this thread was me leaving, then others in cleveland said something, then another post was made by someone else. This is now off topic. I am leaving soon. How do you know they are working on it, are you in cleveland, i think if you personally experienced it you would understand.

I try not to sound like I'm just complaining. Go back and read my posts from october to now, now I do seem like just a complainer, yes, but WOW's continuous bad service is the cause. I could be understanding of this, or another little issue, but a bunch of little issue at once, leaving me with unrealible internet for months, tell me you wouldnt be upset. Switching is easier said than done when competition is scarce in your area, and finding a good time for an appointment is tough scheduling wise.

Big Jimmy
@wideopenwest.com

Big Jimmy

Anon

Don't miss-understand that I don't feel your pain. Like I said, if I were getting this class of service, I'd be going nuts, and probably would've cut the cord with WOW a while ago. But even though you've got a legit case to be REALLY pissed off, you're getting and mad and complaining (yes, despite you having a reason to, it is complaining) in a place where nobody can help you. The other company is already working on it, so what good does it do to come on here and say that you're going to change providers if it isn't fixed today? It's doing as much good as yelling at the rain to stop, because it won't help. Yeah, changing providers is a MAJOR PITA, but if the service disruption is that big of an inconvenience, which it sounds like it is, then it's worth it.

Again, you've got a real gripe, but they're working on it, and making noise about changing providers and the like isn't going to do you, or anyone else in the impacted area any good.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to hudiat

Premium Member

to hudiat
The XO circuit has been back up for approximately 48 hours and we've been monitoring it without finding any issues. Have you noticed service going back to normal recently?
hudiat

hudiat

No, my signal strength got worse. It may not be by much, but still worse. Also last night was really bad. Horrible connection last night.

Still seeing ping fluctuation as well as packet loss.