join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to gdm

Re: [DIRECTV] Considering Directv

said by gdm:

On with them now seems certain TVs only work with the HMC which makes no sense. Doesn't state that on the website.

That's totally false! My install order got screwed up and they only came out to install 2 TV's (ordered 3 TV's including the HMC). The installer said his work order only had 2 HD receivers. I called D* and the lady confirmed my order of the HMC + 2 HD receivers. Since the HMC was so new, they had to call around to get one.
Anyway while I was on the phone with the D* rep, she stated the same thing. I told her that information was incorrect and even had her talk to the tech who told her the same. I don't know where they got that information, but it is 100% incorrect.
--
Not only does Jesus save, but he makes nightly off-site backups.

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
reply to gdm
said by gdm:

On with them now seems certain TVs only work with the HMC which makes no sense. Doesn't state that on the website.

Not sure what that was about but got it order, install set for Wednesday.

DirecTV has had some issues with CSR's stating this, but for the most part it is false.

In addition to regular Whole HOME DVR, the HR34 will also act as a server to RVU enabled TV's. Currently only the Samsung 6000 Series are RVU enabled. If you want to use RVU, then yes, you need a certain TV, But it works fine without them.

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to gdm
Yeah that's what I kept telling them and even on the info from the DTV site it doesn't say that. She finally got it approved but her supervisor was the one telling her it had to be RVU enabled TV.

We shall see installer is set for Wednesday 12-4pm.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-20
Park Ridge, IL
reply to gdm
We've been doing the Directv, Comcast (Internet only) & Ooma here for a couple of years now. Great combination and Directv's picture is fantastic and the apps are awesome.

Directv on PC is great too and a simple VPN into your home network allows road viewing of all shows.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to gdm

Re: [DIRECTV] Considering Directv - Installed

Well I'm installed. Took the installer about 4 hours, best install I've ever had very thorough.

A couple questions for those with the HMC and maybe the HD DVR.

Coming from U-Verse two things I notice right away.

1) It seems that the HMC has not standby mode it's either on or off. So if it's off you can't remotely tell it to record a show via the web or your smartphone app. Is that correct? If it is hopefully they change that.

2) It seems that you can't record a series via a web browser with all the options. Looks like you can from a mobile app. Does that sound right?

One other thing I do miss is the ability to tell a program to record from the receiver. Not a big deal with the web and mobile app. Not sure if that changes with the update for the HMC, guessing it won't.

So far it looks clearer to me than U-Verse. Surprised at how fast the system runs, changing channels and such. Not as fast a U-Verse but faster than I was expecting.

Waiting for the new menu system to update on the DVR. I have it on HD receiver already.

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV
said by gdm:

1) It seems that the HMC has not standby mode it's either on or off. So if it's off you can't remotely tell it to record a show via the web or your smartphone app. Is that correct? If it is hopefully they change that.

Sure you can. All "OFF" mode does is turn off the video outputs.

2) It seems that you can't record a series via a web browser with all the options. Looks like you can from a mobile app. Does that sound right?

Possibly. You can log onto your account at DirecTV.com and set programs to record from there. Not sure if you can change recording options.

One other thing I do miss is the ability to tell a program to record from the receiver. Not a big deal with the web and mobile app. Not sure if that changes with the update for the HMC, guessing it won't.

Not sure I am following this. To record a program from the Guide, just highlight it and press the Record button on the remote. Pressing the Record button twice sets the entire Series to record. Am I missing something?

Surprised at how fast the system runs, changing channels and such. Not as fast a U-Verse but faster than I was expecting.

Waiting for the new menu system to update on the DVR. I have it on HD receiver already.

Make sure you keep Native Off. Having it on slows down channel changes.

It will be a while before the HMC gets the new interface.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
When I hit the OFF button on the DTV remote I can't have my Android record a show because it says no DVR found.

I looked on the web all I see is record show or series. No way to say record first run, record all, etc.

What I mean is if I go to the HD receiver and hit records with that remote it won't let me since it's no the HMC. With U-Verse I could go to any room and tell the guide record any show. I didn't have to do it from the DVR itself.

What is the Native Off and where do I find it?

Support is telling me 24 hours to get the updated menu on the HMC we shall see.

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV
said by gdm:

When I hit the OFF button on the DTV remote I can't have my Android record a show because it says no DVR found.

Interesting. I can do it with no problem with my iPhone.

I looked on the web all I see is record show or series. No way to say record first run, record all, etc.

It uses your default settings which can be configured here:

Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Record Defaults

So if you set up a show to record form the web, it will use these defaults. You can always go in and change the options at a later date.

What I mean is if I go to the HD receiver and hit records with that remote it won't let me since it's no the HMC. With U-Verse I could go to any room and tell the guide record any show. I didn't have to do it from the DVR itself.

That works fine for me from an HD Receiver. It brings up a box to select which DVR you want to record to. It does not work from another HD DVR.

What is the Native Off and where do I find it?

Native allows the box to change the output resolution of the DVR to match the incoming resolution of the source program. For example, if Native is ON and you tune to ESPN (a 720p source), the DVR will change its output resolution to 720p. If you then change to CBS (a 1080i source), the box will change its resolution to output 1080i. All these checking and changes take time to process.

Can be configured here:

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > HDTV > Video > Click over to Native and make sur eit is set to OFF.

Support is telling me 24 hours to get the updated menu on the HMC we shall see.

They are wrong. What you will get in 24 hours is your Guide data fully populating. A lot of DirecTV CSR's are idiots.

Have you checked out the DirecTV area at DBSTalk.com? Lots of great info there.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Thanks for the info. I'll look DBS tonight to see.

I'm wondering if lot of my issues are because the HMC isn't updated yet either. The PC app doesn't see the HMC at all, well it see's it but shows no recordings even if it's there.

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV
How is everything working now?

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Haven't been home much but my wife figured some of the above out. Bummed the HMC can't use the PC app but hopefully soon.

Picture looks good. The wife doesn't like how the on demand has to download but I told her you don't have to wait for it to finish downloading to watch it.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
It used to start pretty quick so if you started the download, counted to 5, you were able to start playing it without issue

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
That depends on your Internet speed & if the file (selection is Green in color) while in download.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I have a 12meg download so that shouldn't be a huge problem. I'll have to look at the colors again.

Another thing I've noticed tonight (posted on DBStalk). It seems that recordings are getting recorded that are old even though the series is set to first run. Also tonight we have 4 shows being recorded two of the four showed 2 recordings for each. Sure enough it recorded the two shows twice. I don't understand how that's possible.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
It is possible the show was flagged as new. They are all at mercy of the Guide Provider which if i remember correctly was Tribune for Direct TV

Banjo

join:2012-01-30
Eden, NC
reply to gdm

Re: [DIRECTV] Considering Directv

We've been with them since they bought out Primestar, so we go way back. Cable didn't reach us until two years ago, and when it did we decided to stick with Directv because they've been pretty good to us.

In all the years I've had to deal with them they've been good to us. Up until two months ago I was still running two late 90s model receivers. Still haven't upgraded to HD yet because we'd have to replace everything including the dish. Anyway one of them died on us, Directv replaced it for free, and cut me a deal on upgrading the other one and buying a third for another bedroom.

That's pretty much how its always been when I have to call up and deal with customer support. I don't know if its because we've been a customer so long or what, but I've never had to pay for any hardware failure or other services like when we moved in 2002. I am a happy camper and have been since 1998 or so.

As I said I'm not on HD, but my grandmother is (she switched to directv from OTA tv about a year ago). The picture looks great, but if your eyes are trained for it you will see compression artifacts from time to time. More so on certain channels. Its not terrible, I've seen far worse on the local cable, but it is mpeg2 and if you're looking for it you will notice.

One last thing of note, since I've been getting my TV from space for some time (going back to c-band days) and I live in an area with a lot of thunderstorms in the summer season; If you get a lot of storms in your area your single will drop out often, and the length of the outage will just depend on how severe the storm is and how long it takes to pass by. That's just a fact of life.

I highly suggest having a backup for getting storm warnings. We use a scanner and a weather radio for storm warnings (mostly tornado warnings) and not only is it there when the dish can't pick up a single, its at least 15-30 seconds faster than the local news at letting you know when something is on the ground and heading in your direction.

One last thing: I've heard you can use an old c-band dish and retro-fit it to work with Directv, this is supposed to make rain fade (losing the single during a storm) a non-issue. I've never tried doing it, but I've read about some people running those set-ups in the past. I remember back when I used c-band I didn't have any issues with rain fade at all...but that was a looooong time ago. I miss my BUD.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
DirecTV and DishNetwork both have large business accounts available and they sometimes install much bigger dishes than the ones the typical residential user gets. No one cares in an industrial park if you have several 2.0 meter dishes all over your property. They also put much bigger dishes on the roofs of high rise hotels. I remember reading stories from the founders of DishNetwork about having to convince customers in certain areas, Alaska maybe, to pay extra for the bigger dishes and the highest mounting possible. The little cute antennas just could not do the job consistently.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
reply to gdm

Recording Additional (repeat shows) When first run is set is caused by faulty Guide data provided by the Channel it's self. That is NOT provided by D* The DVR see it as first run so it records it .
Expand your moderator at work

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV
reply to gdm

said by gdm:

I have a 12meg download so that shouldn't be a huge problem. I'll have to look at the colors again.

At that speed, let it start and give it 10 minutes or so and you should be good. DirecTV's upload seems to be right at 1 minute per minute.

Another thing I've noticed tonight (posted on DBStalk). It seems that recordings are getting recorded that are old even though the series is set to first run. Also tonight we have 4 shows being recorded two of the four showed 2 recordings for each. Sure enough it recorded the two shows twice. I don't understand how that's possible.

Its a bug. If you flag a recording to First Run only, it will record every show until it finds a First-Run. Then it works.

Not sure why you would have 2 recordings of each unless you set multiple DVR's to record it.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
I only have the HMC DVR, not sure why it would either. Why it did it to two of the four shows that night.