spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dahan

join:2000-10-25
Leander, TX

How to disable stateless autoconfig on Win2003?

I've searched the web, but can't seem to find an answer as to how to disable stateless address autoconfiguration on Windows Server 2003. I can add a manual address, and that works fine, but I still have the autoconfiged one. Also, trying to delete it using: netsh interface ipv6 delete address "Local Area Connection" 2001:470:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx gives the error "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

Apparently in newer versions of Windows, you can do "netsh interface ipv6 set interface "Local Area Connection" routerdiscovery=disabled", but "routerdiscovery" isn't valid in 2003.

Alternatively, how do I set the default source address for outgoing packets to be the manual address instead of the autoconfiged one? When I go to, e.g., »ip6.me, it shows the autoconfiged address. "set prefixpolicy" doesn't seem to allow that level of control...

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Have you disabled sending IPv6 router advertisements on the gateway router?

dahan

Leander, TX

No, if I did that, none of the other machines on the network would get autoconfigured. I only want this one machine to have a manually-assigned address. It's a server and needs a static IP, which I guess I kinda get even with autoconfig (until the NIC is replaced), but having an easy-to-remember IP address would be very convenient.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Can you enable DHCPv6 on the router instead of IPv6 router advertisements? Then you can define the scope to be within an easy to remember range for the other machines and assign one statically to the server.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to dahan

If the configured address works, why do you even care if there is another, autoconfigured address associated with that computer? So it's there. So what? Ignore it.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I believe the OP has stated that the source address of the packets leaving the interface is the autoconfigured IP, not the desired manually configured IP.

dahan

Leander, TX
reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

Can you enable DHCPv6 on the router instead of IPv6 router advertisements?

I could, but going to DHCPv6 seems like a pain... especially since MacOS doesn't have a DHCPv6 client (which isn't a huge problem; I'm the only Mac user, and can figure something out for my laptop). I'd prefer to stick with SLAAC.

said by rchandra:

If the configured address works, why do you even care if there is another, autoconfigured address associated with that computer? So it's there. So what? Ignore it.

It's also the address used as the source address for outgoing connections. Not really a problem, but it'd be cool if I could get it changed to the manual address.

So I take it nobody has an answer to my question?

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

Odd that the following isn't working because that's supported in Vista and 7.

netsh interface ipv6 set interface int# routerdiscovery=disabled

said by dahan:

I could, but going to DHCPv6 seems like a pain... especially since MacOS doesn't have a DHCPv6 client (which isn't a huge problem; I'm the only Mac user, and can figure something out for my laptop). I'd prefer to stick with SLAAC.

10.7 has DHCPv6

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
reply to dahan

Have you tried to do it via the GUI?

Maybe do the opposite of this.
»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr···10).aspx

dahan

Leander, TX
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

Odd that the following isn't working because that's supported in Vista and 7.

Doesn't seem that odd; IPv6 support in Win2003 is barely above XP levels. It wasn't until Vista that it was made a first-class citizen, on par with v4.

said by whfsdude:

10.7 has DHCPv6

I don't have 10.7, but upgrading would be an option if it came to that. However, it's not worth it for me... the current setup I have works well enough; I was just hoping there was some easy way to get it set up exactly the way I wanted.

said by whfsdude:

Have you tried to do it via the GUI?

There's no IPv6 configuration via the GUI in Win2003. Routing and Remote Access is used to turn a computer into a router, and this machine isn't a router. Also, that setting is for RFC 1256--an IPv4 router discovery protocol, not IPv6.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to whfsdude

What you're referencing is when W2K3 is acting as a gateway for other machines, and is DOING the RAs. What is desired is to ignore any RA prefixes which happen to show up on the interface, and possibly do no RSes.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!