BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

1 edit

BK3 to lev

to lev

Re: AT&T New Mail Server Settings

said by lev:

The subject said new mail server settings, not new mail servers. I'm aware they still point to a yahoo domain name, and are likely the same servers. The problem I pointed out was with the SSL certificate people would encounter.

The setting : smtp.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net
must be REALLY old since I don't ever remember seeing it and I have had SBC (now ATT) DSL for several years. Until the inbound / outbound settings, the correct setting would have been smtp.att.yahoo.com and pop.att.yahoo.com. In fact, several people I work with still use these settings without a problem. As I work with them , I have been changing them to the inbound / outbound settings, just to avoid problems in the future.

Since it still points to the same servers, I would think it unlikely that it would solve the ATT email problem that crops up every now and again. I fact I have gotten the error even after I changed my own settings (several months ago).

jsinaiko
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL

jsinaiko

Premium Member

Right - I think the email problem relates to Yahoo's lack of attention to server balancing. Once they go in and realign the servers - or at least the ones in question - it diminishes.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev to BK3

to BK3
said by BK3:

The setting : smtp.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net
must be REALLY old since I don't ever remember seeing it and I have had SBC (now ATT) DSL for several years. Until the inbound / outbound settings, the correct setting would have been smtp.att.yahoo.com and pop.att.yahoo.com. In fact, several people I work with still use these settings without a problem. As I work with them , I have been changing them to the inbound / outbound settings, just to avoid problems in the future.

The smtp.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net error comes up when specifying pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com as the servers. This is another cluster of bad communication from AT&T and poor maintenance from Yahoo. While DSL may be the red-headed stepchild of data services, this also affects UVerse customers, so I'd expect a little more incentive to fix it.

jsinaiko
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL

jsinaiko

Premium Member

What I don't get about AT&T is how un-customercentric it is as a company.
Among other things AT&T has been plauged by:

- Bad communication with its customer base;
- Yahoo still deficient as an email provider after almost ten years - with seemingly no push from AT&T to make it better;
- Horrid website;
- Some of the worst telephone support out there (and that's saying something because it's all bad);
- Consistently ranked by J. D. Powers in the bottom echelon of customer satisfaction;
- Etc.

You would think they would have attacked at least one of those issues at some point over the past decade or so in a way that customers could see.

My sense is that one of the reasons why their T-Mobile bid died in spite of the bribe money and general lobbying and marketing is that there is a sour undercurrent of consumer feeling about AT&T and that eventually the pols got that message.

It's a shame because I have found that their employees on the street are very good and do their best under sometimes difficult circumstances But the Texas boys are clueless and don't get the fact that eventually lousy service comes back to haunt a company, especially if there is no commitment to fix what's broken, just more marketing to try and get people to disbelieve what they personally experience.