share rss forum feed

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to DarkLogix

Re: [Caps] Please sign the petition to raise or eliminate the ca

Well, we know here and we care and never see the usage go more than half the cap, generally less than that. We consider ourselves rather heavy users, too. ~shrug~
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Expand your moderator at work

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

Well, we know here and we care and never see the usage go more than half the cap, generally less than that. We consider ourselves rather heavy users, too. ~shrug~

And I'd bet that many here have higher data usage for it
though might not be watching 100+ eps of a show in a month
Expand your moderator at work

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to nerdburg

Some people need to be educated on what SD and HD means and how to get it.

Reminds me of a local hotel I toured recently for their open house. They were touting HDTV channels but when I asked and saw was those big box SD TV's.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Maximise, Minimize, Im just triong to figure out why.... ive heard the cap was based on protecting video?

According to Nielsen the average American watched TV for 35 hours and 34 minutes a week in 2010. That works out to 141.36 hours a month. Or about 140 GB of data. If it was in HD content, it would be about 280 GB. And that is just 1 individual. The average American family watches about 45 hours and 15 minutes a week. That works out to about 181 hours a month. So even if they just watched half of that content in HD (the majority of US households have an HD TV), they would be over the cap. And that isn't even considering their normal internet usage.

This is why some people feel the caps are aimed at protecting the company's TV/video/pay per-view interests.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

said by nerdburg:

said by rody_44:

Maximise, Minimize, Im just triong to figure out why.... ive heard the cap was based on protecting video?

According to Nielsen the average American watched TV for 35 hours and 34 minutes a week in 2010. That works out to 141.36 hours a month. Or about 140 GB of data. If it was in HD content, it would be about 280 GB. And that is just 1 individual. The average American family watches about 45 hours and 15 minutes a week. That works out to about 181 hours a month. So even if they just watched half of that content in HD (the majority of US households have an HD TV), they would be over the cap. And that isn't even considering their normal internet usage.

This is why some people feel the caps are aimed at protecting the company's TV/video/pay per-view interests.

The only report that would make those facts relevant is if the average american family was able to stream 100% of what they enjoyed as a family. And what % of those families would even be bothered to invest in the technology and skill to do so.

Unlike most 15 year old kids.. people dont generally gather around the computer monitor to watch TV. And yes, Im aware your TV can be your monitor.. and you can create a home media server.. etc.
Most families wont be bothered however.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

They could just buy a roku for each TV
or put an Xbox 360 on a tv or 2

then have a wireless router

and bam you have multiple tv's ready to stream nexflix/hulu/etc

so $50 per TV and 50-100 for a router and then some more for an internet connection and they're there

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Ok, so you save money by not subscribing to CATV (or at least not premium packages) but you have the added expense of a player/media server/ roku/Xbox, plus the added expense of online providers like hulu+, netflix, amazon, etc., but you balk at the thought of the very modest extra cost of additonal bandwidth?
At least ComCast allows you that choice.. a set prepaid charge for UNLIMITED (so far) extra useage with NO overage, NO suprise megabills, NO sudden disconnects.
This part of internet useage i.e. entertainment is a luxury product and luxurys aren't free, or cheap, in many cases not even reasonably priced.
the complaints that your poor family is FORCED over the known limit or FORCED to pay more so you can use more get little sympathy from me.

CableTool
Premium
reply to DarkLogix

And I would have the same functionality I have now? My kids could go to NickJr and Sprout and watch their shows? My wife can go to OWN and watch Rosie at 6pm like she loves to?
ALL THROUGH XBOX OR ROKU!!!
No.

And all I would need to do is rewire my entire house and swap out the cable boxes for ROKU boxes or XBOXES and teach everyone how to use them and wire them all through a router?!!

In the real world- That just wouldnt fly in most families.

Look- No one is saying it cant be done? No one is saying no one does it?

Its just not the norm, not the majority and not an issue for over 99% of the subscribers.
--

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
reply to nerdburg

This is what you will begin seeing in the Comcast forums once you get your wish, the cap is eliminated, and UBB is implemented:

»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to tshirt

I think you missed the point
someone might have a roku and use it to suplement their TV service (ever hear of HBOgo?)

and no re-wiring would be needed all roku's have wifi

personally I have BCI via comcast and TV service via DTV (comcast TV service in my area is crap) and I have a roku and an Xbox)

my mention of the Roku was in responce to the foolish claim that a family would be gathered around a computer screen

in the real world families already have Roku's and Xboxes and most kids know how to use them

there is no normal it just doesn't exist
and if netflix hadn't set the default to low quality then way more people would be over the cap

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

....According to Nielsen the average American watched TV for 35 hours and 34 minutes a week in 2010......This is why some people feel the caps are aimed at protecting the company's TV/video/pay per-view interests.

And why wouldn't they be? (As I said above they are protecting a known/predictable revenue stream, currently video, but it may not always specifically video.

Comcast, other Cable providers, and all their mom and pop predecessors (most cable systems started as a bunch of very small providers) have spent many billions of dollars over the last 40+ years to build the industry and services available today. not that they've reached a point that they can reliably take a modest profit (around 10%) they are constantly attacked as robber barons for any increase in pricing or addtional fees for their most popular services.

If you don't like what they offer, QUIT buying it!

CableTool
Premium
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

my mention of the Roku was in responce to the foolish claim that a family would be gathered around a computer screen

in the real world families already have Roku's and Xboxes and most kids know how to use them

there is no normal it just doesn't exist
and if netflix hadn't set the default to low quality then way more people would be over the cap

Ive been in MANY MANY MANY wired homes. In fairness during work and cable related but I can speak to what I see as far as what is wired and how. What the capability of a family is and what they would be willing to do.
That just aint it.

I know people have ROKU and stream through XBOX, Hell, I stream Netflix through XBOX, IPOD and KINDLE.. But again, not for 8 hours straight, not on all at once all day.. heck, not even everyday.

There is "normal". Its average.
This small microcosm of tech minded forum members is NOT a slice of Americana and what one would expect to find or make up a subscriber base.

Tell me with certainty what the percentage of subscribers is that go over or are even CLOSE to the cap? The number isnt even worth the time spent in this thread.

The argument to that is "Oh.. if they KNEW they could stream HIGHER QUALITY then they would ALL be over the cap!!!" Its really reaching at straws to justify a point.. that doesnt really exist.
--

medbuyer

said by CableTool:

The argument to that is "Oh.. if they KNEW they could stream HIGHER QUALITY then they would ALL be over the cap!!!" Its really reaching at straws to justify a point.. that doesnt really exist.

Ok...can you check on your netflix account if that toggle is set to good or best quality?

by default, netflix set it to good, toggle it to best, log out from your netflix account on all your devices, log back in and then monitor your usage.

just try it...let's see how it goes...

CableTool
Premium

I actually will but Ive got to get out of this thread. Its a big circle of nothing.

THE INTERNET SHOULD BE FREE!!!

/Drops Mic
--

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to nerdburg

Guys, again I'm not saying that it's "normal" or even average for ppl to stream all of their TV needs. I'm just saying that if you were an average American, you would have a hard time cutting the cord without hitting the data cap. This is why ppl are suspicious of Comcast's motives.

And FWIW my family cut the cord a couple of years ago - we are perfectly happy with a wireless Roku box in the kitchen and the PS3 on the main TV. No crazy house rewiring required.

medbuyer

said by nerdburg See Profile
And FWIW my family cut the cord a couple of years ago - we are perfectly happy with a wireless Roku box in the kitchen and the PS3 on the main TV. No crazy house rewiring required.

like you, I did cut the cord, DirecTV cord that is and went OTA. I did however upgrade our internet from 3.0 DSL from ATT to 12/2 CC Biz.

I've got 2 Dell's acting as an HTPC connected to 2 LCD's, Xbox, Wii & Blu-ray, Kid's pc, tablet and an iphone that can stream with no re-wiring required...

and even if you re-wire it today to be at par with the latest technology, it shouldn't cost that much and should be paid in less than a year. cat5e and rg6 cables are cheap nowadays.

some people are just too cozy / comfortable with what they have and don't want to be bothered much more...

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
reply to nerdburg

What does it matter if people are suspicious of Comcast's motives behind the cap... Say hypothetically the cap is in place solely to protect their video offerings - that is their prerogative.

If I could get a symmetrical 100mbit connection with no cap for 5 bucks a month, would I? You bet your ass. But its not gonna happen.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

I don't watch cable here at all. In my apartment I only have 1 cable outlet, if I wanted the cable in the bedroom, I'd have to drape it around the wall and cross two doorways. Not likely. I have two WDTV boxes (a Live SMP in the living room and Live Plus in the bedroom). They work great with 802.11N Wi-Fi. I get the "limited basic" cable and I do have it connected directly to the TV in the living room but I can't remember the last time I watched a live channel.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to nerdburg

Signed.

Apparently the cap is pretty soft here, since I just looked back at my usage for Oct/Nov and both months I was over 250GB (292GB and 356GB, respectively).

Then December I hit 143GB. This month I'll probably hit 220-240GB.

I'm a power user of this connection, sure, however I'm in the top 10%, not the top 1%. You know what else? Only power users will pay for higher-tier service, like the Blast that is running me $66 and change per month now, with a discount, with my own modem (it would be $73 without the discount).

If Comcast keeps raising rates and does nothing with caps, there's a very high likelihood that I'll downgrade my connection again. Back in 2008 I was paying $63 plus modem rental for internet service with the same caps as are in effect now. If I downgrade back I will be getting faster service (15/3 vs. 8/2) but the same caps...the first part is good but the second just isn't.

I'm not asking for more for less here. I just want a connection that I can do more with after three years of tech upgrades. honestly, though added speed is nice, the lack of an increased cap means I'm sitting right where I was three years ago with regard to which applications are workable over my connection...and which aren't.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

said by iansltx:

Signed.

Apparently the cap is pretty soft here...

I signed it, also. Currently, Comcast says they don't have the ability to determine my usage (already gone through a year-long quest to find out why there has never been a usage meter on my account page). So, I currently don't worry about caps. But, since I'm the type of person who cares about other people, not just myself, I signed the petition for the betterment of everyone.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

anon6

@comcast.net
reply to nerdburg

So are you waiting till it gets to 100 before letting comcast know that they need to raise the cap?

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

Nah, that's just the default setting.

Illinois

@comcast.net
reply to JPnATL

Yes, caps don't bother me. Makes it fair for everyone. If you want more speed and bandwidth buy their business line.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Illinois :

Yes, caps don't bother me. Makes it fair for everyone. If you want more speed and bandwidth buy their business line.

How is Comcast gouging the consumer fair for everyone? The caps are totally artificial pricing model.

I should note, if you live in an area with over-builders and FiOS, the caps appear not to be enforced.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to Illinois

said by Illinois :

....If you want more speed and bandwidth buy their business line.

Why should customers need to do that? Nothing changes except customers would get less bandwidth for their money, get stuck with a modem they don't want and they will lose their bundle deals. Users that have the Extreme tiers already pay a hefty premium.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to C_Chipperson

(topic move) We're talking about competition now

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 11 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »We're talking about competition now