share rss forum feed

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
reply to nerdburg

Re: [Caps] Please sign the petition to raise or eliminate the ca

What does it matter if people are suspicious of Comcast's motives behind the cap... Say hypothetically the cap is in place solely to protect their video offerings - that is their prerogative.

If I could get a symmetrical 100mbit connection with no cap for 5 bucks a month, would I? You bet your ass. But its not gonna happen.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

And FWIW my family cut the cord a couple of years ago - we are perfectly happy with a wireless Roku box in the kitchen and the PS3 on the main TV. No crazy house rewiring required.

I don't watch cable here at all. In my apartment I only have 1 cable outlet, if I wanted the cable in the bedroom, I'd have to drape it around the wall and cross two doorways. Not likely. I have two WDTV boxes (a Live SMP in the living room and Live Plus in the bedroom). They work great with 802.11N Wi-Fi. I get the "limited basic" cable and I do have it connected directly to the TV in the living room but I can't remember the last time I watched a live channel.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to nerdburg

Signed.

Apparently the cap is pretty soft here, since I just looked back at my usage for Oct/Nov and both months I was over 250GB (292GB and 356GB, respectively).

Then December I hit 143GB. This month I'll probably hit 220-240GB.

I'm a power user of this connection, sure, however I'm in the top 10%, not the top 1%. You know what else? Only power users will pay for higher-tier service, like the Blast that is running me $66 and change per month now, with a discount, with my own modem (it would be $73 without the discount).

If Comcast keeps raising rates and does nothing with caps, there's a very high likelihood that I'll downgrade my connection again. Back in 2008 I was paying $63 plus modem rental for internet service with the same caps as are in effect now. If I downgrade back I will be getting faster service (15/3 vs. 8/2) but the same caps...the first part is good but the second just isn't.

I'm not asking for more for less here. I just want a connection that I can do more with after three years of tech upgrades. honestly, though added speed is nice, the lack of an increased cap means I'm sitting right where I was three years ago with regard to which applications are workable over my connection...and which aren't.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

said by iansltx:

Signed.

Apparently the cap is pretty soft here...

I signed it, also. Currently, Comcast says they don't have the ability to determine my usage (already gone through a year-long quest to find out why there has never been a usage meter on my account page). So, I currently don't worry about caps. But, since I'm the type of person who cares about other people, not just myself, I signed the petition for the betterment of everyone.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

anon6

@comcast.net
reply to nerdburg

So are you waiting till it gets to 100 before letting comcast know that they need to raise the cap?

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

Nah, that's just the default setting.

Illinois

@comcast.net
reply to JPnATL

Yes, caps don't bother me. Makes it fair for everyone. If you want more speed and bandwidth buy their business line.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Illinois :

Yes, caps don't bother me. Makes it fair for everyone. If you want more speed and bandwidth buy their business line.

How is Comcast gouging the consumer fair for everyone? The caps are totally artificial pricing model.

I should note, if you live in an area with over-builders and FiOS, the caps appear not to be enforced.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to Illinois

said by Illinois :

....If you want more speed and bandwidth buy their business line.

Why should customers need to do that? Nothing changes except customers would get less bandwidth for their money, get stuck with a modem they don't want and they will lose their bundle deals. Users that have the Extreme tiers already pay a hefty premium.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to C_Chipperson

(topic move) We're talking about competition now

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 11 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »We're talking about competition now

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to nerdburg

Re: [Caps] Please sign the petition to raise or eliminate the ca

Hey we reached 100! Only 9900 to go!

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to fuziwuzi

said by fuziwuzi:

Want to stream a couple of HD movies every evening from Netflix or elsewhere? Oops, can't do that, might hit the cap and be penalized.

5 hours a day, 30 days a month in HD streaming is 200GB.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

Netflix in HD is 2-2.3 GB/hr so usage at that rate would be 300-345GB per month.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

I would kill to have 5 hours a day for 30 days straight to dedicate to watching TV.
Now finding that much TV worth watching would be the only obstacle...
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

cferro

join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ
reply to nerdburg

I support this effort, but the petition asks for too much info an email address should be enough.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

said by cferro:

I support this effort, but the petition asks for too much info an email address should be enough.

I agree. I didn't put in all of my real info.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

said by nerdburg:

said by cferro:

Well I condemn this whole effort then!!!
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

said by cferro:

Ok, that's pretty weak

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

said by tshirt:

said by nerdburg:

said by cferro:

Ok, that's pretty weak

Well my name isn't really Nerd Burg and I don't live at 123 Main St. Otherwise my info was legit. I understand ppl don't want to list all of their personal details on the internet. Not hard to understand really.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

Netflix in HD is 2-2.3 GB/hr so usage at that rate would be 300-345GB per month.

Oh, ok. 4 hours a day, 30 days a month in HD streaming.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

clarknova156

join:2011-06-04
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to CableTool

Then imagine a family of 5 sharing that only watching maybe a few hours a week each , that's JUST watching Netflix , not downloading or doing anything else.

Its easy to see why these caps are just stop gap solutions to prevent people from canceling there TV service outright and not just streaming online whatever they want.

Old Oscar

@snet.net
reply to nerdburg

Performance Starter
Downloads up to 6Mbps, uploads up to 1Mbps.
$49.95 per month

Performance
Downloads up to 20 Mbps, uploads up to 4 Mbps with PowerBoost®
$48.95 per month

Blast
Downloads up to 16 Mbps, uploads up to 2 Mbps with PowerBoost®.
$58.95 per month

So, do brain dead choose "Blast" over "Performance?"

Or do they choose "Performance Starter" over "Performance?"

Oh, wait, I got redirected when doing a "goto previous page"
where "performance starter is gone:
»www.comcast.com/shop/buyflow2/pr···Inflow=1

Tired of this BS.

So, what is the max download per month for these different
plans?

I have difficulty believing that the speed of downloads
is different by a factor of 8 and yet the maximum
is the same.

Of course, there is nowhere stated that I can find
what is the maximum download.

Keep in mind that 3 telvisions using per day about
25 hours of time at MPEG2 means about 2 GB hourly,
which amounts to about 1500 GB per month.

Yet internet connection is limited to 250 GB per month.

Does anybody get "it?"

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

1 recommendation

An article on the Digital Trends site today about ISP data caps:

Are bandwidth caps about easing congestion, or protecting television?
Digital Trends - February 16, 2012
»www.digitaltrends.com/computing/···evision/

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

1 recommendation

Had to LOL at one of the paras in that article:

The idea that usage caps are a blunt, inaccurate tool to control network congestion is not new. However, the CEO of the mid-sized ISP Sonic.net has recently thrown a new notion into the mix: what if those data caps are about protecting ISPs television businesses?

New notion? Seriously? What planet have you been on?

Pretty good article otherwise, thanks for posting.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Hope Comcast doesn't try doing this, even though it's just for TWC's "Essentials Broadband" plan right now:

Time Warner Cable Revives Usage-Based Internet Plan, But Now It's Optional
'Essentials Broadband' Service Capped at 5 GB Monthly for $5 Off
Multichannel News - February 27, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/article/481···onal.php

"Three years after Time Warner Cable tried to test usage-based broadband billing -- and backed off after a furious outcry from customers and elected officials -- the MSO is launching an optional plan in southern Texas capped at 5 Gigabytes per month.

The operator is pitching the "Essentials Broadband" plan as a way to save money: Customers with Standard, Basic and Lite broadband packages will receive $5 off per month if they stay under the 5 GB ceiling. However, they could pay up to an additional $25 per month if they exceed the usage limit."

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An article on the TWC usage-based plan with more details on the Light Reading Cable site:

Usage-Based Broadband Returns to TW Cable
Light Reading Cable - February 27, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···r_cable&

"Subscribers who opt in to the Essentials Broadband plan can consume five gigabytes per month before being charged $1 per GB above that threshold, not to exceed $25 per month. They would get access to a meter that tracks their usage at granularities from hourly up to monthly. TW Cable is also providing a 60-day or two-billing-cycle grace period before charging for overages, and customers can switch back to an unlimited broadband tier at any time."

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
reply to Les Data

Incoming (MBytes)12398 Outgoing (MBytes)598
(from my Wrt status page)

I with you on this I rarly use over 25G even with using Itunes and Hulu. There something about a little thing call discipline.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

From a cable news round-up item on the Light Reading Cable site this morning (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···r_cable& ):

The Last Days of Unlimited Broadband?
February 28, 2012

"Some potential fallout from Time Warner Cable Inc.'s new usage-based pricing policy on broadband leads off today's cable news roundup.

Time Warner Cable's return to usage-based pricing (UBP) for broadband, using an gentler, optional policy targeted to its lighter users, could provide a blueprint for the rest of the U.S. cable industry and portend higher rates for unlimited broadband tiers, predicts Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Inc. analyst Craig Moffett, in a research note issued Wednesday. He likens the move to a toe-in-the-water approach, because it familiarizes customers to the UBP concept without foisting it on everyone (TW Cable has pledged to always offer an unlimited, all-you-can eat option), but paves the way for such programs "to become the rule rather than the exception." He surmises that the new usage-based program could cause some cost-conscious consumers to defect to DSL, but expects the competitive effects to be minimal.

ISI Group Inc. analyst Vijay Jayant doesn't expect all other MSOs to follow overnight with policies similar to the one TW Cable has launched in southern Texas, but views it as a "meaningful 'shot across the bow.'" TW Cable's decision to flex its pricing muscle also shows that broadband is becoming "one of life's greatest necessities, not luxuries.""

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

A detailed article on the TWC usage-based plan on the FierceCable site:

Time Warner Cable rolls usage-based billing option in southern Texas, testing waters for broader launch
FierceCable - February 28, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/time-w···12-02-28

"As online video products from Netflix, Amazon, Apple and other providers continue to gain popularity--and make it easier for cable subscribers to drop premium cable networks (e.g., cord shaving)--other cable MSOs will likely follow Time Warner Cable and Suddenlink with usage-based billing options. Cox Communications recently launched broadband meters, and began warning subscribers that exceed usage allowances. But it hasn't begun charging subscribers who exceed allowances such as 50 gigabytes monthly for its Essential service and 200 gigabytes monthly for its Preferred Internet service."

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Comcast's CFO says Comcast won't copy Time Warner Cable's move toward usage-based pricing:

Angelakis: No Usage-Based Pricing For Now
Comcast CFO Says Cable Giant Won't Rock The HSD Boat
Multichannel News - February 28, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/article/481···_Now.php

"Comcast chief financial officer Michael Angelakis said the nation's largest MSO won't rock the high-speed data boat with a move toward usage based pricing, but said he admired Time Warner Cable for taking the risk.
"We have a very high customer satisfaction rating and we don't really want to rock the boat on that product,"
:
Angelakis said that Comcast will take a look at the Time Warner Cable offering, but has no plans to replicate it in the near future.
" I give them credit for trying different things," Angelakis said of Time Warner Cable's efforts. "We have real momentum in that business and the goal is to keep it."