Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Alcohol

Re: [Caps] Please sign the petition to raise or eliminate the ca

said by Alcohol:

Online petitions are completely useless. This, with it's 35 signatures, has no chance of having any effect on comcast.

Hell, with 35,000 signatures it had no chance of having any effect on Comcast. Let me know when it reaches 500,000.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Online petitions are completely useless. This, with it's 35 signatures, has no chance of having any effect on comcast.

Hey it's got 38 signatures now! Gotta start somewhere. Will Comcast listen? I dunno, but it doesn't hurt to try.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
reply to nerdburg

What about a petition to stop/eliminate or freeze rate hikes!

Expand your moderator at work

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to nonamesleft

said by nonamesleft:

What about a petition to stop/eliminate or freeze rate hikes!

Bay steps man, baby steps!

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30

2 edits
reply to nonamesleft

The cap petition might get some where but a rate freeze ain't going to happen since it would directly impact future revenues and stockholders don't like that. Don't know any company that would agree to a rate freeze based on a petition.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to nerdburg

NO THANKS!!!!
if they act on such a petition it'll be for the worse

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Where can I sign a petition to demand that comcast business stop using SMC gateways and move to a cisco solution with dual powersupplies(ie 3900 line)? if such a petition were there then I'd sign it

or atleast offer such a cisco solution as an option, I'd gladly pay a bit more per month for a cisco 3925e to replace the SMC

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ExoticFish

Lets suppose comcast does listen and goes with a charge after the first 250 GB. 6 months from now i actually go over my 250 and get charged. So yes it could effect me. Ide rather see things remain the same and that way if i go over once every two years i am not getting charged at all. 250 is plenty. People that want more can get a business account. Ide preferr that we light users are not subsidizing the heavy users

join:2011-05-03
reply to nerdburg

Pass.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

Is raising the cap going to have a negative effect on YOU ?

If it raises his price, then yeah.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Where can I sign a petition to demand that comcast business stop using SMC gateways and move to a cisco solution with dual powersupplies(ie 3900 line)?

Heh. Dual power supplies? In the context of a DOCSIS-based solution, that's a bit like putting a titanium deadbolt on a hollow core door.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to JohnInSJ

At the very least I think Comcast should make some allowance for users on the Extreme tiers. I'm on Extreme 50 because I have a family of five and we are heavy users. We need the bandwidth. Obviously, we aren't average users, which is why we pay for an "extreme" tier. It seems just plain crazy to me that something like Extreme 105, Comcast's premier offering, still has a lousy 250GB cap.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by nerdburg:

At the very least I think Comcast should make some allowance for users on the Extreme tiers. I'm on Extreme 50 because I have a family of five and we are heavy users. We need the bandwidth. Obviously, we aren't average users, which is why we pay for an "extreme" tier. It seems just plain crazy to me that something like Extreme 105, Comcast's premier offering, still has a lousy 250GB cap.

Just being curious....how much is the difference between the resi and biz accounts per tier in your area?

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

I could get 22/5 for the same $ as 50/10 residential--about $100/month. 50/10 business class is $189/month.

scaredpoet

join:2001-03-26
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Les Data

said by Les Data :

I don't use what they give me now.

Good for you! By that same reasoning, everyone should still be using 8088 PCs with 640KB of RAM. Most people didn't use it all when that's what was available. Why have more?

If I need more, I'll just get out my check book.

Oh, don't worry, Comcast will make absolutely sure that you'll be getting out your checkbook whether you go over their cap or not.

And since they are going to do this, it would stand to reason for people to ask them to raise or even remove a limitation in return.

While it's true that most people won't bump against the cap now, it's a guarantee that more will in the future. Data usage will only increase, and that increase doesn't have to be intentional. It's better to take a proactive stance about this, than wait until you're exceeding the cap and it's too late.

There are better ways to do it than sign a random petition though:

»stopthecap.com/take-action-2/

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

said by DarkLogix:

Where can I sign a petition to demand that comcast business stop using SMC gateways and move to a cisco solution with dual powersupplies(ie 3900 line)?

Heh. Dual power supplies? In the context of a DOCSIS-based solution, that's a bit like putting a titanium deadbolt on a hollow core door.

Honestly I would be happy with any solution that moved from the SMC's to a cisco solution

a 3925e with a docsis3 HWIC would just be awsome though

medbuyer

reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

I could get 22/5 for the same $ as 50/10 residential--about $100/month. 50/10 business class is $189/month.

have you tried the 22/5 biz though? or did you have 50/10 ever since you subscribed?

what kind of bandwidth intensive activity do you or all of your family of 5 do?

in my area 12/2 was only a few bucks more than the 12/2 or 16/ something equivalent for resi, that's why it made sense to me to just go with a biz account.

even with 3 of us [family of 4] streaming movies from netflix at the same time, 12/2 is more than enough bandwidth.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to nerdburg

Having a faimly of four, kids on Netflix and XBOX Live all day, me on Pandora and online all day and the wife on the IPAD streaming for the kids and for herself we have hundreds of gigs left.

This "Cap", as described, affects less then 1% of the userbase. This really is much ado about nothing.
Even by the comments in this tech savvy group... 250 is fine. We all hate the very IDEA of a limit or cap... but its affects is nil.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Add some iPhone/iPad updates in there, updates on several computers etc and that cap becomes more of a hindrance to some.
--
»www.TheExoticFish.com
»www.ImTan.info

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to CableTool

That meter must be off

medbuyer

reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

Add some iPhone/iPad updates in there, updates on several computers etc and that cap becomes more of a hindrance to some.

What? Updates on pc and iOS devices are mere kilobytes or megabytes and NOT gigabytes.....

Watch 2 HD videos a day for 30 days OR download movies, applications is whats going to reach your cap

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

That meter must be off

Definitely!
I have a similar setup, and our house is routinely doing at least 10-15 GB per day!
--
»www.caryontech.com

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to CableTool

said by CableTool:

Even by the comments in this tech savvy group... 250 is fine. We all hate the very IDEA of a limit or cap... but its affects is nil.

Are we playing a game of who's is bigger? What is fine for you is not fine for everyone else or people wouldn't be complaining about it. For me, I've reached or exceeded the cap every single month for the past year. I'm not an "average" user which is why I pay for an extreme tier.

And "This Cap, as described, affects less then 1% of the userbase" is what Comcast claimed in 2008, it stands to reason that that has changed significantly.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

Yep. The 12/2 and 22/5 business class delta over UNBUNDLED residential is $20 and $30. At 50/10 the unbundled delta is $80. The 100/10 business class is priced like you're gonna pull tens to hundreds of TB/mo through it.

People compare apples to sticks (bundled discount promo rates to business class) because it makes the difference seem much larger.

I still agree completely, you SHOULD be able to pay that delta on top of whatever you are paying for residential and get uncapped service without losing your bundle, needing to set up completely different accounts, etc. You should still get the crappy residential support as well.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

1 edit
reply to medbuyer

have you tried the 22/5 biz though? or did you have 50/10 ever since you subscribed?

I had 6/1, 8/2, 12/2, 16/2 and most recently 22/5 (I've been a customer for a long time). There isn't any difference between residential and business performance tho, the only difference is that Comcast does the paperwork differently. I could switch over to business and get less bandwidth and no cap for the same money. I'll probably do this eventually. I've been waiting for Comcast Security to call me and bitch about my usage first tho (I've exceeded the cap for 12 months in a row.)

As far as my families usage: if you can do it on-line we do. We don't do anything illegal (no torrents, illegal downloads) We do a lot of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, IP TV (we don't watch any broadcast/cable TV). One of my kids does the cyber school thing, Steam etc. 3 teenagers and one dad that are gamers...it's not unusual to everyone in my family to be on-line at the same time doing something. My usage is usually around 280GB a month, but it's been as high as 480GB.

I don't really have a problem switching over to Business Class, but I don't think I should need to do that. I also don't think it's fair for customers that have bundled services either.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by ExoticFish:

Is raising the cap going to have a negative effect on YOU ?

If it raises his price, then yeah.

That's already happened here, with no cap increase - 12/2 and 16/4 both went up $4 this month.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

said by CableTool:

Are we playing a game of who's is bigger? What is fine for you is not fine for everyone else or people wouldn't be complaining about it. For me, I've reached or exceeded the cap every single month for the past year. I'm not an "average" user which is why I pay for an extreme tier.

And "This Cap, as described, affects less then 1% of the userbase" is what Comcast claimed in 2008, it stands to reason that that has changed significantly.

No, It isnt a "whose is bigger" its quite the opposite. Its the "what is average use" and should the policy be changed due to the exceptions as opposed to the average.
And by your own volition- You are NOT an average user. Not sure how many policies or networks are managed by the NON-Average event.

Im just stating, or restating, what others have already. I think whats fine for me, on average, is what is fine for most. Hence the majority of replies in this thread stating 250 is fine.

I agree more and more traffic is being driven through the pipes and monthly usage will increase ON AVERAGE over time. And Im sure at that time the cap will be raised or metered pricing will rear its ugly head.

But to re-CAP... your use isnt average, hence YOU exceed the cap, hence YOU want the cap raised.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"