Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg

Re: [Caps] Please sign the petition to raise or eliminate the ca

... after watching all that netflix which took me all month to accomplish. Which involved a person that works underground and since i didnt work much this month and had nothing to do but watch old episodes of shows i still didnt close to matching my bandwidth useage. Does anyone know what useage i would use in watching what watched this month. I was worried i went over what i was suppose to. after a month of use i see im not even close. if i didnt even come close not workingh most of the month how can anyone even come close. I mean really i watched all that and only came up with 89 GB. Please someone explain what is going on.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to C_Chipperson

Premium Member

to C_Chipperson
said by C_Chipperson:

said by tshirt:

are there really 730 HD movies a year worth watching?

yeah right? I barely have time to watch programs stored on my DVR let alone cut the cord and try and watch 4 hours of netflix every night!!

But you are not everyone else. Some people might actually use their service differently than you, are they wrong? Are you the arbiter of correct usage?
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

No im not, im just trying to figure out where spending my entire month of watching these old episodes dont even get close to my cap of internet useage. I mean ive been a member of thios site for years and its been the internet useage capo is to stop video yet i spend a entire month watching video and dont even come close to the cap. Explain that.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to Ripper

Premium Member

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

said by tshirt:

are there really 730 HD movies a year worth watching?

How does anyone have the time or interest to watch that many movies.

I used Netflix as only 1 item in a list of activites, which also was far from comprehensive to the vast number of activities one could do. It is disingenuous to focus solely upon what one could watch on Netflix as the arbiter of how much data one should consume in a month.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Ok your beyond me, Im the morone user. I watched all that this month alone and didnt even cone close to the cap. Please explain why i can spend the entire month watching these episodes i mentioned and not even be near my cap yet i read all the stories on this site how this is based on protectoing whatever this site says it protects. I spentthe entire month watching video over netflix and only came out with 89 GB just tryuing to figure out what the hell goes.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

No im not, im just trying to figure out where spending my entire month of watching these old episodes dont even get close to my cap of internet useage. I mean ive been a member of thios site for years and its been the internet useage capo is to stop video yet i spend a entire month watching video and dont even come close to the cap. Explain that.

Just because you're watching it doesn't mean its going to HD
its possible that Netflix didn't see your connection as good enough sometimes

also check the quality setting on your netflix account
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I never asked for hd and never got it. my point is i watched all them episodes and thats what my usage is. So are you saying if it was hd i would be usig that much more? Just tryiong to figurte out what the hell is truley going on? But in reallity i dont even think them episodes are even offered in HD? pretty sure they are not.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Please look at this page on your netflix account

also you don't get asked for HD it just does the HD if you have best selected and your connection can do it

so if you have just good selected it'll cut your bandwidth usage down alot
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

remember im a morone i have comcast but i dont feel like removing my tv which isnt hd,. I just basically need sd and have never seen on netflix what you posted. Ok best is 0.3 Gb a hour. Anyone care to equate that to a months useage. Kind of think its well below the cap of 250 gb.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

It was added months ago: »account.netflix.com/HdToggle

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44

go to "your account and help"

under the section "WATCHING INSTANTLY ON YOUR TV OR COMPUTER" (sorry copy and paste and its in caps on the site) go to Manage Video Quality

see whats selected

what player are you using? its possible for it to stream HD but then down convert, however given your data it looks like good quality is selected

next stop insulting yourself

I set mine at best because I have a BCI account and no cap and want the best quality that it'll deliver, though it still doesn't always go to HD because of the connection from comcast to netflix, but its normally good enough
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
Ok i received my ROKU box last month. Started useing it the week after christmas. please dont confuse me
rody_44

rody_44 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Im sorry but im fine with it as is and ever saw what you posted. Im a 53 year olkd guy and just care what is viewable. please dont confuse me and keep in mind how it is.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Huh ?
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
agiain what the hell do i care about that link?
rody_44

rody_44 to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
why would i sign the petition. I spent the entire month watching video and didnt go over the allotment

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
You were interested as to why your usage was below the 1gb/hr calc

I've provided a possible way to see why, you're likely set to good quality so you're using .3gb/hr (ie about 1/3 of the data per hour that best quality gives)
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

remember im a morone i have comcast but i dont feel like removing my tv which isnt hd,. I just basically need sd and have never seen on netflix what you posted. Ok best is 0.3 Gb a hour. Anyone care to equate that to a months useage. Kind of think its well below the cap of 250 gb.

you're not maximizing the connection you have that's why you're not hitting the cap, just like CableTool See Profile, but yet try to argue that you use your connection like hell and not even hit the cap.

maximize it first like everyone here and then monitor your usage, see if it changes your meter.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Ok so that makes sense. Im a morone so please bare with me. So i spent the entiire month watching video that i should hve cosidered inferiour. Yet iw was perfectlly satisfied. please enlightened me. I never said i was over the cap. I said was worried about going over the cap. Yet after all this i find im not even near the cap.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Good for you. Some people prefer to watch the best picture possible.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Your TV is non-HD so you wouldn't have seen the quality differance anyway

and its just a matter of more compression so some video might look just fine at good vs best

if you were watching it on a 1080p large TV then you "might" have see the differance

though the compression quality is pretty good most of the time so telling the differance between good, better and best might be hard to do unless the show just doesn't happen to compress very well

AND I told you to stop insulting yourself
if your good with good quality that cool you can use less bandwidth and still be happy

as a test you could try setting it to best and see if you can tell the differance, if you like best better than good then you'll likely use 3x or more bandwidth
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Devious

to Devious
said by Devious:

said by medbuyer:I am currently paying 59.95 + 7.00 [equip fee :

= 66.95 still locked in a 2 year contract that I signed 4/4/11.

Is that for blast tier?

I have blast/own modem and pay 55.95 per month.

sadly, it's only performance = biz starter
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
Doesnt really matter to me what i watch. whats it matter if its in hd or not?

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

said by rody_44:

you're not maximizing the connection you have that's why you're not hitting the cap, just like CableTool See Profile, but yet try to argue that you use your connection like hell and not even hit the cap.

maximize it first like everyone here and then monitor your usage, see if it changes your meter.

I guess youll have to quantify "Everyone here" because the majority of the responders in this thread are no where near the cap.

This is getting pretty silly.

So now if I use my internet connection for what I and my family use it for - Im not "MAXIMIZING MY CONNECTION?"
I have no NEED to MAXIMIZE my connection. I have no need to wire up my entire house to stream anything. And neither does the MAJORITY of the subscribers.

So we are back to, again, why they cap is currently fine if not generous at 250GB for 99.999999999% of the paying subscribers.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Its not like i dont know what hd is because i do. After all i work for the cable company. Comcast and now service electric. What i dont know is it really that much mnore bandwidth to watch in hd compared to sd. Can you watch a entire month in sd like i described and only come up with the 89GB compared to tjhe hd and come up close to the cap.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to CableTool

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

So now if I use my internet connection for what I and my family use it for - Im not "MAXIMIZING MY CONNECTION?"
I have no NEED to MAXIMIZE my connection. I have no need to wire up my entire house to stream anything. And neither does the MAJORITY of the subscribers.

it's not the QTY...it's the QUALITY....

even if all of you are streaming but ONLY IN SD, you're not maximizing it then.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Its not like i dont know what hd is because i do. After all i work for the cable company. Comcast and now service electric. What i dont know is it really that much mnore bandwidth to watch in hd compared to sd. Can you watch a entire month in sd like i described and only come up with the 89GB compared to tjhe hd and come up close to the cap.

Yes
compair the lowest bandwith setting .3GB/hr vs best HD at 2.3GB/hr

if you did 89GB over a month at .3gb/hr then if you hav ebeen on only HD at 2.3GB/hr you'd have used 682.3GB because its 7.6 times the data per hour
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to CableTool

Premium Member

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

So we are back to, again, why they cap is currently fine if not generous at 250GB for 99.999999999% of the paying subscribers.

I'd bet that most netflix users don't know the quality setting exists and thus when it was implemented their usage dropped because IIRC the default is good quality

if they all knew and/or cared then their usage would go way up
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg
Maximise, Minimize, Im just triong to figure out why i can watch a entiore month of netflix and only be at 89 GB when all these years on this site ive heard the cap was based on protecting video?
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Because you are watching the lowest quality video.