Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nyrmetros

join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY
reply to nascar

Re: [HD] MSG2/MSG2PLUS HD (NYC)

So I can now watch the Rangers in HD when the stupid knicks get msg proper for no deserved reason....

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by nyrmetros:

So I can now watch the Rangers in HD when the stupid knicks get msg proper for no deserved reason....

Even an under performing Knicks team will get higher TV ratings than the Rangers, doing well. I don't really care any more now that they're both in HD.

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to nyrmetros
it's simple- NBA is way more popular then the NHL...Knicks will (and should) get priority over the Rangers...if the NHL was more popular then the opposite would happen

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable
Besides being an overflow for the teams MSG broadcasts sometimes FOX Sports Network programming is shown on MSG+2 when there is a local game on MSG+.

Any word if MSG+2 will be added? Is FiOS waiting for the next event to be broadcast on MSG+2?

Tue., Feb. 7 New Jersey at NY Rangers 7:00 p.m. MSG+2

robjlevin

join:2002-10-30
Millington, NJ
Those names are meaningless, really. What I can tell you is that every game on the overflows has been broadcast in HD even if there were two overflow games at the same time.

The other night MSG, MSG+, MSG Buffalo, MSG2 and MSG+2 were all active with HD broadcasts. DirecTV had every one of them.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
reply to Steely
In NY (LI)

MSG 78 HD 578
msg2 79 HD 579
MSG+ 80 HD 580
MSG+2 81 No HD yet

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
reply to FIOS4cable
Guess no MSG + 2 HD. I am stuck watching the Rangers broadcast!!
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by MuDvAyNe:

Ditto....

nyrmetros

Oakland Gardens, NY

1 edit
reply to MuDvAyNe
said by MuDvAyNe:

better broadcast. crap game.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
Painful ending.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nyrmetros
said by nyrmetros:

said by MuDvAyNe:

better broadcast. crap game.

I will give you the better broadcast but the game was not crap at all. I do miss Doc calling the devils.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
reply to FIOS4cable
This thread is about the addition of HD channels and not the content or results of what is on the channel. If it now is, it should be promptly closed.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
Well it is about the addition of HD channels. I was stuck watching the Rangers Broadcast while the Devils was in SD.

Wheres MSG+ 2 HD when MSG 2 HD was added last week. You are telling me FiOS which supposedly saved room for these channels cannot fit +2 now
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to FIOS4cable
What the hell is the point of MSG2HD? I just examined its programming for the next few days and it appears to be an identical copy of MSGHD.

This is an unprecedented waste of space. Even the redundant "west" feeds aren't as pointless as this.

Verizon's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Have you heard of overflow channels? MSG2 and MSG+2 are overflow channels - DTV carries them, as do some other MSO's....

Check the MSG SD channels starting at 78, and you will see them listed there.....

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to 45612019
said by 45612019:

What the hell is the point of MSG2HD? I just examined its programming for the next few days and it appears to be an identical copy of MSGHD.

This is an unprecedented waste of space. Even the redundant "west" feeds aren't as pointless as this.

The problem is that Verizon is not capable of turning on a channel and turning it back off. Look at NFL RedZone, or the ESPN College channel. They only run during a specific time, and the rest of the week the channel's QAM spot is taken.

nyrmetros

Oakland Gardens, NY
said by Greg2600:

said by 45612019:

The problem is that Verizon is not capable of turning on a channel and turning it back off. Look at NFL RedZone, or the ESPN College channel. They only run during a specific time, and the rest of the week the channel's QAM spot is taken.

Why can't verizon turn a channel on and off as needed?? Very glad that fios has added the msg overflow channels in HD!

nascar

Verona, NJ
reply to nycdave
Dave... Any word on getting all 4 in HD?

said by nycdave:

Have you heard of overflow channels? MSG2 and MSG+2 are overflow channels - DTV carries them, as do some other MSO's....

Check the MSG SD channels starting at 78, and you will see them listed there.....

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable
I'm just happy to have MSG in HD

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to nyrmetros
said by nyrmetros:

Why can't verizon turn a channel on and off as needed??

Because tons of things will break if then turn on/off channels with the frequency and spontenaety they would need.

At a minimum, if they turned off the overflows, the guide data for them would be deleted and you would not be able to schedule recordings in advance. It would also have to update authentication tables and encryption keys for all customers. Favorites lists, parental control settings and all sorts of other stuff would be disrupted.

And even if Verizon engineered it so that wouldn't be a problem on FiOS boxes, it would still affect those with TiVos or Windows Media Center CableCARD users, who get their guide data from a different service which does not update nearly as quickly. CableCARD users would be re-scanning all the time, and their CableCARDs would be constantly taking new encryption data, which increases the chance of failure.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
reply to nascar
said by nascar:

said by nycdave:

Still 'in the pipeline' for sometime this year.

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

said by nyrmetros:

Why can't verizon turn a channel on and off as needed??

Because tons of things will break if then turn on/off channels with the frequency and spontenaety they would need.

At a minimum, if they turned off the overflows, the guide data for them would be deleted and you would not be able to schedule recordings in advance. It would also have to update authentication tables and encryption keys for all customers. Favorites lists, parental control settings and all sorts of other stuff would be disrupted.

And even if Verizon engineered it so that wouldn't be a problem on FiOS boxes, it would still affect those with TiVos or Windows Media Center CableCARD users, who get their guide data from a different service which does not update nearly as quickly. CableCARD users would be re-scanning all the time, and their CableCARDs would be constantly taking new encryption data, which increases the chance of failure.

Just create (2) overflow channels that show nothing but a screen when not in use saying FIOS overflow sports channel, similar to what they do with The NFL Redzone channel and the College football and basketball channel. When no games it's not using any HD bandwidth. What is the problem with that?

nascar

Verona, NJ
reply to nycdave
Thanks!

said by nycdave:

said by nascar:

said by nycdave:

Still 'in the pipeline' for sometime this year.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to skohly
said by skohly:

Just create (2) overflow channels that show nothing but a screen when not in use saying FIOS overflow sports channel, similar to what they do with The NFL Redzone channel and the College football and basketball channel. When no games it's not using any HD bandwidth. What is the problem with that?

I haven't tuned to Red Zone in awhile, but I believe the splash screen was still being broadcast in HD from the provider, so it's still taking up the bandwidth and even if it wasn't, it still has to all be accounted for in case the channel is running at the same time as another. These few part-time channels aren't going to make a huge difference anyway in the grand scheme of things.