Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jwblake

join:2010-06-23
Fairfax, VA

Network "closet"

Click for full size
Here is a "network closet" in a classroom at a large university. Yes that is a metal office cabinet with (unlocked) front doors. Which is not secured to the wall in any way. I presume the door is left open for ventilation purposes.

In this day of budget cuts and low bids, I have to ask, is this common? Has anyone seen things like this in a large enterprise?

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

What's that thing on the top right side of the cabinet? Looks like a dome camera just chilling there.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to jwblake

The way that fiber is installed is just asking for trouble.

said by jwblake:

In this day of budget cuts and low bids, I have to ask, is this common? Has anyone seen things like this in a large enterprise?

Most definitely.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to jwblake

Seen that crap in a lot of schools. They don't have an actual closet or anything to do a breakout box. So they cram it in one of those metal cabinets. If they are smart they lock the doors, if they're even more smart it has lag bolts holding it in place. I've seen a few get bumped and moved that weren't held down by anything and for some reason wires don't move with it.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to jwblake

said by jwblake:

Cheap, Fast, Perfect. Pick two.

Guess which two govnt / finance / business / education / medical / [insert here] usually go for, then try and
tack on "need it yesterday" onto as well.

Regards

jwblake

join:2010-06-23
Fairfax, VA
reply to doubleohwhat

said by doubleohwhat:

What's that thing on the top right side of the cabinet? Looks like a dome camera just chilling there.

It's not a camera dome. I want to say it is a spare occupancy sensor. But I am not sure

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to jwblake

That's an expensive switch for only 3 ports!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

said by jeffmoss26:

That's an expensive switch for only 3 ports!

You mean 4 (don't forget the fiber) not that that makes any differance

I'd bet it'd have been far cheaper to instead use some 5-8 port and get a media converter, and I doubt that they're using hardly any of the higher up features

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

A lot of companies have phased out the 2950's, so it could be something they had laying around which is cheaper than buying a new switch. It could also be they have other things to worry about like vlans and such.

Edit: I just remembered that the closet near my desk has a pair of stacked 3750G's of which the bottom switch has a total usage of 2 ports. So that kind of thing is common. As far as the metal cabinet goes, it's the first time I've seen something like that.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

Ya I can see how that can happen

if I had a spare 2950G I'd use it to replace some small switch just because I could

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to jwblake

In some of the older buildings, my school has switches in each room that are just sitting on a shelf about 8' off the ground, with an open patch panel, and a patch cable running through the drop ceiling to another room where the servers and network uplinks are... Most buildings are a lot better than that though...

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
reply to jwblake

High school I went to had switches sitting on shelves bolted to the wall high up. And, CAT5 along with coax (no money for fiber), zip tied to the exposed sewer pipes in the hall ways. Yeah, I went to a school district where for several years people voted against school funding so students did a lot of the networking on the cheap.