how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GarryDL

join:2012-01-21
Snellville, GA

[Modem] Which DSL modem?

The gateway 2701 just died; but before taking the default replacement, I'd like to get some advice on what to do. I would like to have more wired ports than the typical four, wireless, and WiFi.

Does one want all these capabilities in one device? What are the issues? Are there separate devices to provide wireless and WiFi separate from the modem?

What does one need to consider when selecting WiFi? Where does not go for information? We are considering the purchase of a iPad; but could decide on another technology. Would that be a problem?

Thank You,

GarryDL

n4bkn

join:2003-12-11
Memphis, TN

I have not seen any gateways like the 2701 with more than four LAN ports (and no WAN ports, since the DSL modem in the same box). You would need only to add a ethernet switch with five, eight, sixteen or more ports for more wired connections.

One reason to choose a separate wireless router would be to have two wireless bands, both 2.4 and 5 GHz. You'd see this in the specifications as 802.11b/g and 802.11a (or combined as 802.11a/b/g). Having the 5 GHz band for WiFi could be important if there are already many 2.4 GHz band users on your block, or in your apartment building. The suffix /n indicates higher speeds via multiple antennas, and can (should) be on both bands.

All consumer wireless routers I've seen have four LAN ports, and again, you could add an ethernet switch to have more.

You'll need a combo DSL modem/one port router to plug the phone line into, like a Westell 6100 or a Motorola 2210. Once you verify operation with one computer connected directly after entering your Username and Password into the modem/router, you set it into "Bridge Mode" and handle the PPPoE login from inside the wireless router. The "Internet" port on the modem/router connects to the "WAN" port on the wireless router.

A DSL modem only like the Alcatel STH (old) or 1000 (older) would work, if you find one. Using this modem only device requires PPPoE login Username and Password be entered into the wireless router. Should you wish to use a single computer direct to these modems, you have to run a PPPoE client on the single connected PC. The client is available in Windows XP (and above). For Windows 98 and NT it was separate supplied software.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to GarryDL

I used a TPlink TD-8817 adsl modem I bought from Frys for $25 connected to a Linksys E3000 wifi N router w/ gigabit switch (paid $60) running DD-WRT firmware and a wrt54g (bought 8 years ago) (for the switch only) running DD-WRT.
The TD-8817 never lost sync and I had it connected at 6 meg.

I suggest getting an ATT branded cheap dsl modem used (like $15 to 20 off craigslist, etc) or buying the TD-8817 adsl modem which you can get at frys.
Then buying a wifi N gigbit router like the linksys E3000 and install DD-WRT on it. Then buy a gigabit switch to connect to your router.
You can put the TD-8817 in bridge mode and use the router to login so your router gets the public IP address instead of the modem.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

TPlink TD-8817 adsl modem - $30 (price went up)
»www.frys.com/product/6074108?sit···_RSLT_PG

Linksys E3000 - $70 (new/$50 Refurb) most likely online only
Frys does not sell the E3000 anymore, but you can find other DD-WRT capable routers at frys.
I bought mine as a refurb through this amazon reseller: »www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Ref···8&sr=8-2

LINKSYS E3200 - $109 at frys (dd-compatible)
»www.frys.com/product/6577573?sit···_RSLT_PG

You can check DD-WRT compatability here for other routers: »dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
Make sure the router has gigabit ports

Gigabit 5 port switch Frys $22.99
»www.frys.com/product/5979034?sit···_RSLT_PG
They have several other brands for around $30.
You can get more ports for more money.

If you buy a separate router with a cheap modem, then if they force you to switch to uverse you can use your same router with the uverse modem.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to GarryDL

I would get the tried and tested Motorola 3347 and add a wireless router acting as an Access point / Switch...

you can even get a wireless router with a wireless repeating function that should repeat the signal from the 3347 for far more reaching coverage.

the 3347 though already has a great wireless signal...not to mention that is a fully supported modem by AT&T tech support.

GarryDL

join:2012-01-21
Snellville, GA
reply to GarryDL

Thank you for the responses.

I have an old Westell from ATT and a D-Link router. Will try the dd-wrt on the Westell then put the router in the loop.

Thanks,

GarryDL

jr9730

join:2000-11-22
Torrance, CA

Netgear and Pace both have 802.11 N gateways on sale now at ATT's online store and fully supported by ATT..BTW