how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

traprh

join:2002-10-20
Aztec, NM

[Qwest] DSL started retraining almost every 2-5 min (over 200 to

My DSL had been working fine and has been very solid for the past 2 months and speeds have been stable at around 1.3 (I have 1.5 service). Two days ago, my system went haywire and started retraining constantly throughout the day and evening. It would lose lock on almost every 2 to 5 minutes, stay off for maybe 30 seconds and then lock back on. This has been going on constantly for the past two days. It's driving me nuts just trying to surf the net or download something.

I went out and bought a new modem today and am trying it out (Actiontec GT 784WN----my old one is an Actiontec PK 5000) to see if it was the modem going bad. The modem is not the problem though as I'm getting the exact results with the new modem.

I'm going to wait and call tech support Monday when I can get someone to talk to in the States. It's almost like Century Link (QWest) changed something at their end or in the central office that I'm connected to (not connected to a DSLAM). In the 12 years I've had DSL with them, this is the first time anything like this has happened---and I was so happy with the solid way it had been working.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
--
Phil--4 Corners NM, Qwest DSL, 1.5 service. Win XP (SP2), Core 2 Quad, 3ghz, 4 gig Ram---Single computer, no network. Browsers Firefox and Opera---Don't like or use Internet Explorer

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US

Re: [Qwest] DSL started retraining almost every 2-5 min (over 20

Sounds like your phone line has gone bad. They don't last forever. Did you have a bad lightning storm lately, flooding, lot of ice build up or something that could have damaged the lines? Before calling them I would first rule out anything inside the house that could be causing the problem. Unplug anything that's connected to the phone line except the modem and try it. If there's still a problem take the modem and PC outside and plug right into the box where the line comes onto your property and try it there with the line going into the house disconnected. Then all you have to get them to do is repair it up to your property.

tstolze
Premium
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO
kudos:1
reply to traprh

Double check that nothing "new" has been attached to your phone line or if a filter was removed.

traprh

Aztec, NM
reply to traprh

I have a whole house filter on my NDI box and DSL is split off on a "home run" DSL line coming in to my computer (no voice lines connected to the DSL home run line). There is nothing wrong with the wiring in my house that would cause the problems. Also, no storms lately. Could the whole house filter in the NDI box on the outside of my house have gone bad? Phone voice service is still good though.

I live in a rural area, not within a city, and I suspect that Century Link has done something to the lines between my house and the central office or within the central office itself that is causing my problem. It was a sudden change, not something that developed over time. My SNR or Attenuation hasn't changed and when I'm locked on to DSL, my speed is still up at between 900 to 1.2. In the past years when my system would retrain, normally the speed would drop down significantly until I rebooted the system.

Since yesterday morning, my system has retrained over 600 times but still comes back on line at a decent speed for a few minutes each time with the SNR and Attenuation being unchanged from what it has generally been over the past 10 years.
--
Phil--4 Corners NM, Qwest DSL, 1.5 service. Win XP (SP2), Core 2 Quad, 3ghz, 4 gig Ram---Single computer, no network. Browsers Firefox and Opera---Don't like or use Internet Explorer

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US

If you live in a rural area the line probably doesn't go to the Central Office since the limit is 18,000' so it probably goes to a sub-station at the outskirts of town or a little box by the side of the road somewhere. If your readings don't change it sounds like a loose connection or equipment failure at their end.

tstolze
Premium
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to traprh

Yes filters can go bad, as a test you can connect your modem direct in your nid, this will remove your inside wiring from the equation. Go ahead and post your attenuation and snr levels for us to see.
--
Ofallon, Mo Weather
St. Peters, Mo Weather

traprh

Aztec, NM

1 edit

I'm 16,000 feet from the Central Office (just barely eligible for DSL service). I'm connected to the central office, not a sub station. That was verified some time ago by one of the technicians I had out on another problem.

My SNR varies between 7 and 12 and has been that way for the 10 years I've had DSL service. My attenuation has always been a constant 31 UP and 62 Down--never changes. Not good numbers by any standard but my system has been working fine with them for many years.

During the first 9 1/2 years I had DSL with QWest, my service was intermittent at best and speeds were 640 at best (I was paying for 1.5 service) and most of the time, somewhat lower. That was understandable with the bad SNR and Attenuation numbers which was the result of my home being so far from the Central Office (plus older wiring at various gauges between my home and the CO).

Last year, a technician told me that they were planning to upgrade their equipment in the central office and that it would allow them to put out a stronger signal and I would be able to get better speeds. Apparently that happened about 6 months ago as all of a sudden I started getting 1.2 to 1.3 speeds and my DSL stayed locked on solid most of the time (had an occasional retrain and drop in speed, but no lower than around 900). All was well until this past Friday when the constant retraining began. I've had over 700 retrains since yesterday morning.

Since I have a separate "home run" dedicated to DSL that runs parallel with my home phone wiring, I know I don't have a wiring problem. I also know I don't have a modem problem as I bought a new modem to try and it does the same thing as the old one. The whole house filter/DSL splitter that was installed in my NID box about a year ago may be malfunctioning and tomorrow, I will hook my modem up to the input of it to see if I keep having the retraining problem.

But I doubt that is the problem. I suspect that the problem is somewhere within the central office or somewhere in the lines between my NID and the central office. The phone people up here are always changing things around and since this problem happened "overnight", I suspect something has become intermittent in Century Link's system or one of their lineman or technicians has done something while working on the lines or equipment within their system to cause my problem.
--

traprh

Aztec, NM

Finally got to talk to a tech support person in the US. After all of the normal stuff, the tech finally discovered that on Friday, the exact day I started having these retraining problems, they had switched me from copper wire to fiberoptics at the central office. That's strange as we don't have fiberoptics in the area I live in. Anyway, they are sending out a tech today to see if he can get the system fixed.
--

traprh

Aztec, NM

Follow up info: The tech never came out but he called me. I told him that the problem was caused by the central office changing me from copper to fiber lines. He said he would go there and turn the problem over to them.

I drove down to the Central Office about 2 hours later and the place was locked up and no one working there. Apparently they have one tech who services several small towns in this area. When I got home, Century Link had lowered my service from 1.5 to 640K and I haven't had any communication with them since the tech called me this morning. Very frustrating dealing with them. I'm not sure if they are going to put me back on copper ADSL or what. No one at Century link seems to know---or even care from what I can gather.

If there is anyone from Century Link who views this forum, I sure could use some help.
--

Hoefer7972

join:2012-01-22
Fuquay Varina, NC

I wonder if that could be what is wrong with ours.

Nugz

@comcast.net

All of a sudden yesterday morning my did the same thing here in Ogden Utah, I'm connected to the CO also. they upgraded me to thr 7mb but could only train up at 4mb, day befor yesterday I was getting trained to 4.4mb and downloads was close to 3.9mb. Awsome, then yesterday, bam. Modem started to retrain and reboot and now at best I train up at 4mb.

Downloads are 3.4 - 3.5 mb, not bad but something is wrong with the equipment some where, either at the CO or my modem. I was looking for a new Zyxel pk5000z but after reading this that may not fix the issue. I have the Actiontec PK5000.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to traprh

Traprh,

We would like to help with the service issues you are having. Please Email the account number, service address and a number to reach you at to us at talktous@centurylink.com

Thanks
Patti
Centurylink Help

traprh

Aztec, NM
reply to traprh

Thanks Patti,

Yesterday, I did send an e-mail to Centurylink outlining my problems. I got a response back from Rick this morning. He asked for some additional data and I immediately sent it back to him. Later this afternoon, I got a call from a technical person from Centurylink out of Boise, Idaho. He said that Rick had passed on the information to him and he was going to handle it. It was great to finally talk to someone who wanted to help me out.

He went on to tell me that they were upgrading their equipment in the Central Office in my area and I was one of the people switched to the newer fiber cable based equipment. Apparently, some others out near where I live who were switched were having similar problems as I was. He said that unfortunately, the newer equipment "apparently" doesn't handle longer distances (I'm at 16,000 feet from the CO) as well as the older copper wire based equipment. He theorized that that was the cause of my system going haywire although I'm not sold on that theory.

Tomorrow, he will issue a service order to put me back on the old system so I can get my higher speeds back and a more stable DSL system. Hopefully, it will start/continue working as well as it was before the CO change that messed up my DSL service starting last Friday. I had been cruising along for several months at 1.2 to 1.3 speeds with very few retrains before the CO change.
--

Nugz

@qwest.net

Later that day after I got home from work, my modem was trained up higher than I have ever seen befor. But at 4db SNR? O well it hasn't retrained since. 4544 kbps trained.

Good job Qwest/Centurylink.

I dealt with years of Comcast growing, you could almost know at or around 3am the internet would go out, but to come back on faster each time. After 7+ years of that Comcast really is fast and stable now. I can have over 200 days up time in the last few years.

I feel after Centurylink gets over paying for Qwest dept and starts making money, they will be the ones in position to take the crown. Or at least be the ones to help lower the prices of the U.S. internet.

Thank you Centurylink, I know this isn't an easy job to take on but your doing it

traprh

Aztec, NM
reply to traprh

Finally my system is back up, stable and although I'm not getting above 1.0 yet, I am getting 996 speeds down--thanks to the extra effort from the second tech (Darrel) who went back this afternoon to the CO to fix my voice line problem that was caused when they put me back on copper. Initially after they put me back on copper, my speed came up at around 700 and the first tech who put me back on copper and (and apparently miswired the system) said "that's the best you are going to get". Thank goodness that there are a few techs out there like Darrel, who are willing to put in some extra effort to help customers.

After Centurylink put me back on copper, my DSL came up but I lost my voice line. I had to put in another call on my TRAC phone to tech support to get a second tech (Darrel) to go back to the CO and rewire my system and get my voice line back. Apparently they had miswired something at the CO when they put me back on Copper. Took about 4 hours to get that taken care of today. A big thanks to the second tech, Darrel, for his help in getting things straightened out and taking the time to actually do something to help improve my DSL speeds.
--

kauf2938

join:2012-02-01

I'm getting frequent retrains. Between 1-8 min uptimes.

To make a long story short we replaced everything on the house side. Modem, lines, etc.

Still having retrains.

The tech put me on their service port and left me there overnight. Not 1 single retrain the whole night.

Today he put me on a new port and things were looking good for about an hour. Now I'm getting constant retrains again.

Some modem stats:
SNR Down 13
SNR Up 14
Atten down 52
Atten up 49

Considering I was on the techs service port overnight without a single retrain leads me to believe the line is good. My overnight speeds were close to 5mb down. I have a 4 mb pkg. But the service port is open speedwise I guess.

I'm getting these retrains with computers on and off. I was thinking maybe a heavy usage was dropping the dsl connection but it doesn't seem to matter.

Any suggestions? Does the service port have a stronger output than a normal port?

I dont' really need 4 meg service. Would lowering my speeds resolve this issue?

BankerMama

join:2009-03-10
united state

their service port is just like your port. Might be provisioned higher, but nothing special about it. The tech might have changed ports locally, but that doesn't change things all the way through the atm, redback and so on. The tech needs to keep testing the route all the way back if needed. IF you post your line stats, people here could give you an educated guess if 4M is too much for your line to handle. You say you were getting 5M with their port, so it sounds as if your line will handle 4M all right.
--
This posting is of my own opinion and in no way connected to any employer.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to kauf2938

Kauf2938,

We would like to look into this issue for you please email account information to us at talktous@centurylink.com please include the account number, and a contact number for us to reach you at.

Thanks
Patti
Centurylink Help

kauf2938

join:2012-02-01
reply to BankerMama

Broadband Status PPP Parameter Status
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
DSL Mode Setting: Multimode
DSL Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: Showtime