Search similar:

uniqs

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

Jason

That can't be good.. (Red "X"?)

I think one of our wireless STB up and died.

After plugging it in, I see the 3 gray dots, then a screen with a gear for a couple minutes, then finally, a red X

I've re-booted it a few times, even holding down the power for (well over) 10 seconds.

Anything else I could try? or does this sound like a replacement type thing... (I just really dont want to spend an hour on the phone with u-verse tier 1, LOL)
Mumzy
join:2009-07-30
Olive Branch, MS

Mumzy

I believe that means your receiver has rabies. You will need a replacement before it bites you.
luke_9
join:2012-01-04
Pittsburgh, PA

luke_9 to Jason

to Jason

Re: That can't be good.. (Red "X"?)

said by Jason:

I think one of our wireless STB up and died.

After plugging it in, I see the 3 gray dots, then a screen with a gear for a couple minutes, then finally, a red X

I've re-booted it a few times, even holding down the power for (well over) 10 seconds.

Anything else I could try? or does this sound like a replacement type thing... (I just really dont want to spend an hour on the phone with u-verse tier 1, LOL)

You could try a "hard reset" of the DVR. Hold "Ok" and the down button while powering up the DVR. You can stop doing this once the gear shows up. It will attempt to download any updates and then go through the 1-gear, 2-gear sequence.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

38.2967 Lat

Jason

No love..

This is a set-top box, tho, not a DVR..

I did find this: »www.uverseusers.com/inde ··· shooting
said by uverseusers.com :
The Red X
Screens indicate various errors depending on any dots being next to them.

Legend:

Red X:

Receiver is unable to capture an IP address
The fully qualified domain names were unable to resolve
Inadequate information is provided to the sync server

Red X + 1 Dot:

File input/output errors
Coding exceptions

Red X + 2 Dots

Receiver is unable to initialize the Secure Core
Receiver is unable to format storage using high level format

Red X + 3 Dots

Receiver is unable to connect to the Sync server
Receiver is unable to retrieve bootstrap IP address
Receiver is unable to connect or log in to Upgrade server

Do NOT let an agent roll a truck to your location for a Red X with no dots screen until they have performed a process called Adding Bootstrap Servers. I’ve -never- had to dispatch a technician on a regular Red X screen because I perform this step. If the agent does not know how to perform it, advise them to read the CMS/MDC article, which is article number 6681. They’ll connect to your Gateway and make the appropriate adjustments.
NOTE: According to Tier II, the above procedure for Adding Bootstrap Servers is no longer valid. Most likely you WILL get a truck roll for the 1 Red X, and have your STB/DVR replaced. :-( spd2demun, 7.18.08. YMMV/YRMV

I am getting 1 red X, with no dots.. Is there anything that can be done without roiling a truck?

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to Jason

to Jason
Red x with no dots means the receiver lost it's firmware and out doesn't have a network connection to download it to try to rebuild. This normally only happens when the receiver dies and the customer has jacked up wiring (generally when the receiver is hooked up via coax and they have a pc or something plugged into the network jack, preventing the receiver from being able to update.
It's worth a shot toting the receiver to the RG and plugging it directly into the RG via ethernet then power cycle it and see if it will auto recover before putting it back on wifi, or asking for a replacement or repair.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

38.2967 Lat

Jason

I'll give that a shot tomorrow.. Plug it in directly..

Now, gotta see if I can dig up a patch cable, Heh.. Its amazing how quickly these everyday items dry up once the tech. moves on, and you're not using them anymore..