share rss forum feed

klorra920

join:2012-01-22
Canandaigua, NY

1 edit

[DSL] Any help/advice for recurring problems with Frontier DSL

Click for full size
Click for full size
I have my 15th (or so) scheduled visit with a Frontier DSL tech tomorrow and since I'm sure they won't fix the issue, maybe someone here can offer some help.

I've lived here for 1 1/2 years and Frontier DSL is the only ISP in my area (Time Warner is 2 miles or so away and my street is rural).

To summarize and shorten the problem, the internet service will work "decent" for a month or two and then we will have constant outages (reset modem and it's often better) and slowdowns (down to .1 Mbps (from 5.8 Mbps). A tech comes and doesn't see any obvious problems. We switch to a different modem. I now have my own personal Netgear DSL modem (which I don't use because when things go wrong, they won't assist me with it), 4 Sagemcom SE 567s and 1 Westell 7500. It seems to work decent enough again after the modem switch for a month or two and then do the same thing all over again.

The tech that was here last Saturday insisted we use the Westell and that the other tech out recently (the week before I think) didn't have it set ideally. We used that until today because yesterday my AT&T MicroCell started cutting out every 10 or 20 minutes. One of the 567's is now hooked up and the MicroCell seems better now. (The tech will not be happy we're back to this modem).

In addition to the issue with the MicroCell my internet speeds yesterday ranged from .2 Mbps and 5.4 Mbps wireless and .28 Mbps and 5.6 Mbps wired.

I've attached two images of my stats with both modems.

Any feedback, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated!

Angel

@centurytel.net

Re: [DSL] Any help/advice for recurring problems with Frontier D

I have had the same issue with the Westell 7500. After many chats & phone calls I finally replaced the Westell with the modem, Netgear ADSL2 & router, Netgear N300. And my Microcell works perfect.
So in a nutshell, the Westell 7500 does not work with the Microcell.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to klorra920

It's a weird problem to be honest. Does this happen like clockwork or is it random once it hits a certain point in time after a month has elapsed?

I would suggest waiting until the problem starts happening again. For some reason your modem is syncing up using T1.413 mode, when Frontier normally uses G.DMT on their lines. I have a suspicion it might have something to do with the DSLAM, as I can't imagine modems crapping out that fast, then magically fixing themselves when taken out of service for a month.

Oh, and have Frontier boost that upstream 600+kbps. The upstream to download ratio is too much. With ADSL2+ you could probably do 10-12Mbps as well with 1Mbps up.

Dantheswim

join:2012-02-06
Pomeroy, OH

1 edit
reply to klorra920

Your stats look great except the FEC errors. Sounds like u might be on to something, I've never seen T1.413 mode either which my be a trouble at the DSLAM but probably easily fixed if you get the right person to look at it.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

It could also suggest line trouble too or it could be a preference between the modem and DSLAM. I've seen all sorts of things switch the mode from G.DMT to T1.413. Either way, both modes both support the same speeds, but G.DMT has some improvements as to how it handles certain lines.

As far as his errors go, they're not too bad. FEC errors are "OK" ones as they are corrected through Interleaving. The bad ones are CRCs, HECs and the Errored Seconds counters. LOS Errors is also bad, but his line according to his modem hasn't seen any drops. Errors are perfectly normal to accumulate at a very slow rate over time. My Frontier DSL line sees typically one or two CRC errors every two hours (I can't FEC error as I don't use Interleaved mode). Just typical noise, and it doesn't affect the connection. As long as they're not thousands over the course of 15 minutes which I've seen happen with lines having issues with electrical interference, they're fine. My line is 3x as long as the OPs, has the same upload, but runs at half the download but with FastPath, and my margin is holding very close to 30dB at the moment, but transmit power is high at 19.6 (this is due to the way they have the Adtran set up in the remote). Upstream is at 20dB.

AnonTech7

join:2012-02-15
Wellsville, NY
reply to klorra920

Can you please run a speed test through »speedtest.frontier.com/ and tell me what you results are.

Also if you have the time, open command prompt and type in "ping -n 100 -l 1000 yahoo.com". This will ping yahoo 100 times and will have some stats like packet loss, and average ms.

If you can post these results and also tell me if you did this from a wired or wireless connection it might be helpful.