reply to shinjuru

Re: Borderlands 2

This game looks pretty interesting. Thinking about getting it for PC

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to shinjuru

I've been on the fence with this. I'm not a shooter fan, but the things I've seen/heard about this game have me wondering, and interested in trying it out. Though I don't know if I have time to play another game ATM.

hmmmmm........

Meeps

join:2012-08-20
reply to shinjuru

Finished my first playthrough (chose Salvador at the last minute, because gunzerk). I have a few gripes with the game (respawn time, ammo/bank issues), but it is still an AMAZING game. I played the first Borderlands a lot, but this game is so much harder.

I've found that you really need to vary the types guns you use because of ammo issues (Mainly Sniper/Rockets, though rockets are so OP now, so I'm fine with them not having a huge ammo stock).

Fav gun by far is the talking hyperion gun from one of the optional sidequests after you save a certain someone from jail (trying not to give spoilers here). Love troll gun too. Ended up just selling it, but it was hilarious.

Playing as Zer0 now, having giant ammo issues with the sniper, but I have enough backup weapons from my first playthough which I transfered over.

3 oranges from 1 playthough (one being from the final storyline boss) Oranges are so much more rare this time around. Use those gearbox keys wisely (I got a level 16 rocket launcher, very powerful and handy for getting back up).

beldin
Script Monkey number 50
Premium
join:2006-06-06
Union, SC
Reviews:
·Charter

Still working on my first playthrough. I've actually got three characters that I've run to Sanctuary. Focusing on Maya, now. Just finished rescuing Roland. Got my ass handed to me as Zero. I didn't realize I'd need corrosive weapons and I had nothing that would take down the badass bot. Did a little better with Maya since I had an inventory full of corrosive weapons and a kick-ass explosive shotgun.
--
I love working at a pay cut.
================
Verizon Wireless Unlimited

Meeps

said by beldin:

I didn't realize I'd need corrosive weapons

Yeah... One thing I've found is that a corrosive weapon is a MUST at all times once you encounter hyperion troops. The game has become a lot more elemental based, compared to the first Borderlands.

I finished the first playthrough on Zer0, huge fan of his sniping skill tree. I'll be doing a second playthrough on him before I use any other character. This is mainly because of the awesome sniper rifle drop I got from the final storyline boss. 1960 damage, 0.9 Fire rate, 96% accuracy with 15% extra damage and 180% extra crit damage. Critting for around 30k at level 30.

Love this game.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Jobbie

said by Jobbie:

Man a FPS MMO would be a great game to play.

FPS MMO will be Firefall (planetside 2 as well)

Firefall is being developed by ex Blizzard all stars

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Meeps

I started my first run through as Maya but I found myself using my sniper rifle more than any other weapon so I parked her at Sanctuary and started a Zer0 playthrough and I really like both of them.

Can't wait to run with the other two guys.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Meeps

Same here. I ended up sniping a lot when I played through on Salvador, one of the reasons why I played Zer0 instead of doing a playthrough 2.

I'm quite interested to try Maya, I've barely seen anyone online use her (mostly soldiers and gunzerkers). Her phazelock seems interesting, a handy way of dealing with badasses I'd assume.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by Meeps:

Same here. I ended up sniping a lot when I played through on Salvador, one of the reasons why I played Zer0 instead of doing a playthrough 2.

I'm quite interested to try Maya, I've barely seen anyone online use her (mostly soldiers and gunzerkers). Her phazelock seems interesting, a handy way of dealing with badasses I'd assume.

That is weird that there are not more of her, considering you will NEED at least one siren in the party when you take on the ultimate boss in this game because of her heals and ability to spec to revive players with her phaselock.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Meeps

I've only been playing through 1 up until now, so TeraTI hasn't really been a thought. I did check out a few vids of him, looks fun .

I played up until The Fridge on playthrough 2 of Zer0. Creatures are becoming quite strong and the cost of buying ammo is becoming quite expensive, so I am starting to struggle.

Started making a siren on BL2. After playing Siren on BL1 (seriously, the most OP character on BL1 by FAR), I had pretty big expectations for this one. So far... she has somewhat lived up to those expectations.
I can see how Maya's phaselock will come in handy later on in the game when enemies start beefing up. For now I'm just grinding through the lower levels. I'm a big fan of the Claptrap's storage system. My siren has OP weapons from my other characters which I kept. Very handy.

Still love this game, lol.

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO
reply to Meeps

You talking about THIS shotgun? LOL!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbnKnVMF···youtu.be

And yes, Maya is pretty awesome with the Phaselock. If she cant pick them up, then they take damage. Just unlocked the added ability to draw in enemies around her if you phase someone.

Meeps

Yes, that's the one

It has a level 13 req (mine does anyways) and is very powerful for it's level. great hand-me-down to future characters.

Apparently theres (at least) one more out there, a sniper (I think) that critisises anything you do in a female voice. I saw someone playing with it in a public game, was hilarious XD!

beldin
Script Monkey number 50
Premium
Union, SC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to shinjuru

I don't know if any of you have heard, but Randy Pitchford (Pres of Gearbox) has been tweeting codes for Golden Keys. If you join Gearbox SHiFT (from the game's main menu>Extras) you'll receive one key. If you pre-ordered BL2, you got a key for that. Yesterday, Randy tweeted a code that gave 5 keys to 1000 accounts per platform. I was lucky enough get in on the morning code, but I was at work when he tweeted a 2nd time last night with another code.

I've got my Siren to level 20, so I opened the chest and got a really nice sniper rifle and an assault rifle. I plan on using the other keys when I have a character at levels 10, 30, 40 and 50. I went ahead and used one of the extra keys and opened the chest and got a launcher that hits for 3300x3 damage. And, I'll use the last key just when I need a pick-me up.

You may want to add Randy (just search for Gearbox Software on Twitter) because he tweeted that they will be doing a huge giveway, possibly next week that gives keys to up to 100,000 users per platform.
--
I love working at a pay cut.
================
Verizon Wireless Unlimited

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by beldin:

You may want to add Randy (just search for Gearbox Software on Twitter) because he tweeted that they will be doing a huge giveway, possibly next week that gives keys to up to 100,000 users per platform.

Wow I should pay attention to that account more I've had them on my twitter for months now.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to beldin

said by beldin:

I don't know if any of you have heard, but Randy Pitchford (Pres of Gearbox) has been tweeting codes for Golden Keys. If you join Gearbox SHiFT (from the game's main menu>Extras) you'll receive one key. If you pre-ordered BL2, you got a key for that. Yesterday, Randy tweeted a code that gave 5 keys to 1000 accounts per platform. I was lucky enough get in on the morning code, but I was at work when he tweeted a 2nd time last night with another code.

Yeah, I actually turned on push notifications for tweets from @DuvalMagic just for these codes. I was sitting there last night on the SHiFT code entry screen, waiting for the tweet, started keying it in as soon as he posted it...but I still missed getting one. 1,000 codes redeemed in like 10 seconds.

I play on the 360 so I had to enter the code manually, which sucked. They need a web-based code redemption mechanism!

Looking forward to the mega-redemption code coming up soon.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

roguesmith

join:2012-09-19
New York, NY
reply to shinjuru

This is one of the best games I've had for awhile. beats cod every day

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to shinjuru

You could always do the infinite key glitch or the key refund glitch. I can see why people use that technique because it sucks when you have 2 or 3 keys and all of them net you items you can't even use. Quite a let down.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Meeps

said by cyrus360:

You could always do the infinite key glitch or the key refund glitch. I can see why people use that technique because it sucks when you have 2 or 3 keys and all of them net you items you can't even use. Quite a let down.

After much internal debate, I decided to use this. Honestly, the drop rate of purples is much lower than BL1. And besides, you can't get orange items from the chest, so there is still a reason to farm.

Speaking of orange items, I've hauled up a few now. My pride and joy is a level 30 Conference Call (hyperion shotgun) that DOMINATES enemies up until around level 40. I've gotten a few other oranges -
- level 4 grenade mod that sends of 10 child grenades twice
- level 19 rockets that, when fired, periodicly sends out more rockets along it's trajectory. Very cool.
- level 20 shield with a large lightning based aoe.
- level 30 shotgun (mentioned above) that... hard to explain this one, you shoot it and as well as the normal shotgun spread, it makes several horizontal shotgun spreads along it's path. Very epic.
- another level 30 shotgun that, when fired, sets off multiple flack blasts that have a latge horizonal aoe, but doesn't fire very far.
- level 37 sniper, has the same trajectory as bows in Minecraft (recieved it from killing a creeper in the minecraft easter egg area).
- level 50 grenade mod that transfuses and is fire based. Homes in on enemies critical hit areas.
- level 50 Siren and Commando class mods for defeating Teramorphous the Invincible (commando one was because I was playing with my friend who is a commando, while I was using a Siren).

Currently I have a maxed out Siren, a level 10 commando, a level 42 assassin and a level 39 gunzerker. Fav is gunzerker, then siren.

Found an abusable quest weapon glitch that made Teramorphous easy to beat, my goal now is getting gunzerker to level 50, then beating tera without said glitch (because I want to beat it properly).

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to shinjuru

Where are the farm spots for orange? I am not sure how else you get golden keys but the glitch is nice because at least you can do it till you get something useful. Before the glitch I had 4 keys. The one you get for preordering, and 3 more via Shift codes.

The funny thing was, the first key I used I didn't know I even had it or what was going on. I just thought it was a cool looking chest and opened it at level 10 or so. I am playing Zero and ended up getting a killer sniper rifle. The other 3 keys got me other class mods and a few crappy pistols. Those keys are hard to come by so they should really adjust it so you're at least guaranteed something your class can use.

I think I got one orange item so far, nothing else. I have been using the difficulty slider mod to amp up the game and hopefully juice up the loot quality.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Meeps

Three of my orange items were from Warrior. The drop rate of orange items seems to be a LOT higher the first time you kill it, so wear your rare items relic the first time if you can, it'll probably be worth it.

Really though, its pretty random, I've had oranges from basic enemies.

Best places to farm that I've found is BNK3R and Warrior. They give plenty of drops (especially warrior, 4-6 purple items per kill on average), as well as plenty of eridium.

beldin
Script Monkey number 50
Premium
Union, SC
reply to shinjuru

Mechromancer to be released today by the end of the day. Randy Pitchford announced on Twitter at around 2:00am (EDT). This is about a week earlier than previously stated.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

Hrmmmm, I wonder if it's to combat other releases happening today/this week...

Releases this week:
Today - Dishonored, X-Com: Enemy Unknown, PS3 The Walking Dead Ep. 4
Tomorrow - PC/360 The Walking Dead Ep. 4
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Meeps

reply to shinjuru

Well, finished my first playthrough of mechromancer, currently level 38, up to The Fridge on playthrough two.

I like her, but I don't.

Her left tree is filled with deathtrap power-ups and some very nice shield based skills. Middle tree contains a lot of elemental based abilities, primarily Lightning based.

Now, the right tree (Ordered Chaos) is... odd. So, you start off with a skill that increases gun damage whenever you reload during combat (only if you have an empty clip) or kill an enemy. But, like most skills in this right tree, it has a cost. The cost for this skill is accuracy. BIG cost in my opinion, but it can be combo'd up with other skills (such as Close Enough, where if a bullet misses a target, it can richochet off a wall and hit an enemy for reduced damage). This can stack 150 times, 1.7% Gun damage, -1.7% gun acc per stack (another skill increases max stack).

Honestly though, she was a letdown. Deathtrap is powerful early on, and is what I ended up specing in to for most of my first playthrough. But it's damage seems to be lacking now and I can't find any reliable skill setups which I actually enjoy using.

Overall, favourite class in Borderlands 2, for me, is still Gunzerker (mainly because of gun damage class mods and ammo based skills). Mechromancer isn't changing that.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Meeps:

Honestly though, she was a letdown. Deathtrap is powerful early on, and is what I ended up specing in to for most of my first playthrough. But it's damage seems to be lacking now and I can't find any reliable skill setups which I actually enjoy using.

I think the idea was that she was supposed to be an "intro to FPS" type of character, or someone you could use to her abilities to complete some of the tougher challenges.

Might become more valuable during the DLC
--

Meeps

said by El Quintron:

Might become more valuable during the DLC

Maybe if the DLC is based around things that are weak to lightning, lol.

One you reach level 50 with her, the Ordered Chaos tree might prove to be very handy against Terra, etc. It seems designed for late game, solo play.

She seems to be a very shield-based character. She has multiple skills relating to shield restoration. I suppose if you have a Bee shield, she would be hard to beat (or at least a high capacticy shield).

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to shinjuru

I haven't seen a single orange drop yet. I beat the game, did every mission except the goliath one in The Fridge. I can't get him to spawn to give the quest.

I did manage to get a decent orange class mod from a vendor, but no in game drops as of yet. I even solo'd the Warrior on 4 player difficulty settings and the loot was very crappy.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by cyrus360:

I haven't seen a single orange drop yet. I beat the game, did every mission except the goliath one in The Fridge. I can't get him to spawn to give the quest.

I did manage to get a decent orange class mod from a vendor, but no in game drops as of yet. I even solo'd the Warrior on 4 player difficulty settings and the loot was very crappy.

I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet. I've just recently finished the 1st Borderlands, and I can tell you, Orange quality weapons on your first playthrough, are few and far between.

They're almost non existent. Soon as I started a 2nd playthrough, which is a lot more difficult, Orange weapons are popping up everywhere for me.

I'm not sure if this same model is true for BL2? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Ghastlyone:

I'm not sure if this same model is true for BL2? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm sure this will be the case for the main game, the DLC may have some orange loot on the first play through.

I think the only DLC that had some orange loot in the first game , on the first play through was General Knoxx.
--

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to shinjuru

Well the game crashed for me and when I restarted, it said my save was corrupt and deleted my character entirely.

Apparently when the game does this it also tells the Steam cloud to delete the save as well due to corruption so you are fucked.

I got my Zero to level 38 and into the 2nd playthru and this happened and now I have nothing. If anyone has a Zero around this level and can send me a save game file, let me know. Dunno if I will start over again.

So just a warning to backup the entire save game folder elsewhere to avoid this. It's all over their forums with no official responses of course.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Meeps

Oh wow, that sucks. D:

Will create backups every so often from now on. Thanks for the warning.

In reguards to orange drop rate. I haven't seen any real difference between playthroughs. Orange drops are mostly based around boss monsters. For example, Rapid Infinity (Vladof orange pistol with unlimited ammo + no reloading) is Dropped by Doc Mercy (though you can get it in the slots too). Basicly, you have to farm bosses for drops by quitting/continuing/killing boss or just get lucky on your first attempt as you progress through story.