spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Symon

@uaip.org

Best hardware for IPv6 router

Hello all IPv6 sages and awesometoms. I'm looking to build a simple IPv6 router and want some recommendations on what would be the best/cheapest for my situation.

All I want is some basic hardware ... I want to just install Linux and so I can do what I want so it just needs minimal mount of RAM, HD space, etc. No GigE yet ... (although didn't we say, 'I don't need IPv' not too long ago So no LCD, USB or whatever.

Thanks.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
I run m0n0wall on an old Global Technology Associates GB-1000 that I bought used on ebay for $24.00.

Pretty minimal. It has 128MB RAM, a Celeron 660MHz CPU, 1GB Compact Flash card, and four built in Intel 10/100 NICs. It runs headless, no video, keyboard or hard drive is possible.

Symon

@davita.com
Cool; something like that could work ... OS is installed on the flash card I guess .. any speed issues? Any worry about the CF failing? (I'm not read up on the life of those, especially when they are used to replace hard drives but I suppose the impact is minimal with most of the stuff (caching, etc.) being loaded into RAM after boot. What about EMP attacks? (just kidding on that one

Thanks.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
It's all on the CF card. The current 1.33 release will fit on a 16MB CF. The 1.8 beta needs about 25MB, so that means a 32MB CF. It's getting very hard to find them this small anymore. 2GB is the smallest I can find at retail, and they are cheap enough for me to not even bother looking for smaller ones on ebay.

No speed problems here. If you need to use VPN, then the CPU is usually the bottleneck. That can be solved with a supported dedicated VPN card.

I've been running this for years on the same CF. The only thing that is rewritten to it is the configuration file when you edit it. It runs entirely from within RAM. Never had a CF go bad or wear.

lanforallA4

join:2011-03-25

1 recommendation

reply to Symon
Look at the RV110W for a solid IPv6 router.