3 recommendations

jvmorris to Coma

MVM

to Coma

Re: [FYI] Not Made Here

said by Coma:

said by JRSlater:

Everyone wants something for cheap.

. . . most people don't realize that You Get What You Pay For.

There's a lot of truth in the flipside of that saying, also . . . Eventually, you pay for what you get.

I think that was the original of the old saw that "You can pay me now or you can pay me later."

At the moment, we seem to have opted for paying the bill later.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned)

For the followup article re Apple: »www.nytimes.com/2012/01/ ··· .html?hp.

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

A very interesting and informative article. I have seen or read about these practices before but never in such detail. These companies and it seems predominately Apple should be ashamed of their acceptance of the nothing but SLAVERY policies.

It seems consumer brand loyalty tolerates CRIMES against Humanity. Just think what could be done with a day or one week of Boycotting Apple's products. I mean Apple's customer base and market share is aimed at the most progressive, technically proficient and Educated Liberal portion of society.

So where is their outrage and moral compass is it broken or does it just apply to themselves?

SOAP BOX MODE OFF!

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

1 recommendation

Exit to 29886823

to 29886823
The way the world works now there's no way you'll get manufacturing like this back to your country. Most people these days are consumer whores and want to amass the greatest amount of things for the least amount of money. Products like we're talking about would cost a great deal more if they were made in a country with fair wages and decent labour laws.

Now there is the is a vicious circle. We want cheap products so we ship jobs to places with low wages. Then people loose jobs here and demand them back, but who is willing to pay more for the same product just to get joe blow his job back? I think it's safe to say no person out there really wants to work in a factory and most people have higher goals in life career wise. Which means that factory job that left Detroit will stay in Asia somewhere, and Joe Blow will either live on the streets or elevate him/herself to a new career.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

1 recommendation

29886823 (banned)

Another take: »www.thenation.com/articl ··· one-here.