Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

minimoto18

join:2011-04-14
Oak Creek, WI

1 edit

[DIRECTV] Considering: DirecTV + RoadRunner + Ooma

I current have AT&T U-Verse and am think about changing to...

TV:
DirecTV (CHOICE package)
-1 Home Media Center HD DVR
-3 SD Receivers
ISP:
RoadRunner
-10Mbps/1Mbps (without PowerBoost)
Phone:
Ooma or Vonage

If I hook up the HR34 to a phone line, I'll be able to see Caller ID on the the TV, right?
What are your opinions of the services, and do you foresee any issues?

simiglen

join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA
Well I was with Uverse for many years, so I feel your pain. I switched to Directv beginning of this month and I moved to ooma a few months ago.

OOma - has been pretty good I signed up for the premier service (119.99 year plus 3.47 month). I have only lost synch once or twice. Other than that it has been great. I love the blacklisting and how it forwards voicemail to e-mail. I never had Voip before.

Directv has been good (not great). Picture quality compared to Uverse is out of this world (wish I had a better HD tv ) I have been having problems (minor) with my set top boxes interacting with the DVR. I am not sure if it is the wiring in the house or equipment (still working on that). By far it is not a deal breaker though. Don't be fooled though by the 6000 movies a month. They include basic cable channels etc...

If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

Have a good night!

David3941

join:2000-12-27
Kalamazoo, MI
reply to minimoto18
If you go with the Home Media Center HD DVR the SD receivers don't do media playback. Get the H24 or H25s.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
Yep, Go all HD now. It looks like they are including 3 HD boxes with install now also. Get it while they are free

minimoto18

Oak Creek, WI

1 edit
said by comp:

Yep, Go all HD now. It looks like they are including 3 HD boxes with install now also. Get it while they are free

Do you mean if I order 3 SD receivers the install tech would/could give me 3 HD receivers free of charge even though I'm not buying the CHOICE XTRA package. (On the site if I buying the CHOICE XTRA the HD receivers are free, but I don't need those extra channels)
Could I get the CHOICE XTRA for the first month then downgrade to CHOICE for the other 23 months.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
you would need to make sure your order prior to the tech coming has HD boxes on it. If you order SD, that is all he will have

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to minimoto18
I have had DirecTV, Ooma and Comcast (first residential now business) for many years and it's been great. As new sets come out with IP capability, I am reconsidering the need for DirecTV. At the moment it works, probably for a few more years. Ooma works fine as a phone service.

Good luck!
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to minimoto18
Ooma is way expensive. Check out VoIPO first.

minimoto18

Oak Creek, WI
Looks like I'll have to go with CHOICE XTRA package then switch to CHOICE.

said by ke4pym:

Ooma is only expensive only because of the Telo, otherwise you can't get much cheaper than free.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
said by minimoto18:

Looks like I'll have to go with CHOICE XTRA package then switch to CHOICE.

said by ke4pym:

Ooma is only expensive only because of the Telo, otherwise you can't get much cheaper than free.

Well, I suppose. But you still have to buy their adapter. BB lists it at $199. That's a lot of months of service with VoIPO who offers you a free adapter and most of the options ooma is going to charge extra for. But, your choice.