jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to footballdude

Re: [NFL] Super Bowl XLVI Discussion

Yes, I'll never forget that one. Seems like everyone just stood still for an eternity, trying to figure out if it was really over before it finally sunk in. That tackle will be shown at one time or another forever.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to footballdude

Before my time, really.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to jabarnut

said by jabarnut:

Seems like everyone just stood still for an eternity, trying to figure out if it was really over before it finally sunk in.

Right. The confetti starting dropping on the field and the receiver had rolled into the end zone and was trying to say he made it and the Rams were all charging the ref saying he was down and you figured there'd at least be a replay or something but it was just over. NFL films has a video of Coach Vermeil on the sideline as that play happened just ripping his headset off and yelling "That's it, we won the game!" and charging onto the field. The way he said it sounded like he was trying to convince himself it was really over.
--
Dresden - I work in Accounts Payable.
Random Bad Guy - In what capacity?
Dresden - I make sure everyone gets what's coming to them.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to footballdude

Yes...I was going to say that as well.

Jay_
Formerly known as Carnage
Premium
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On

Was a good game last night but didn't like the outcome. Stupid Eli...

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Moorecards

That was a great game but I wouldn't call it the best ever. I feel like the first meeting of this game was better. That safety was a huge play and i figured it would come back and haunt them in the end. Brady could of easily had them in field goal range at the end of the game for a chance to win it.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to drew

said by drew:

Easily the best SB I've ever watched.

Then you must not have seen many.

said by capdjq:

It was a lackluster football game, devoid of any memorable plays, that ended up being mildly exciting only because the score was close and there was a Hail Mary pass at the end of it.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

I'm not a huge football fan.

I typically watch 2-3 games a year and half the playoff games and then the super bowl. This is usually in the company of others.

Big plays aren't a necessity for enjoyment. They can add things to it, that is true. (See: Marshawn Lynch beast mode earthquake-inducing run) For me, I want a game that's interesting. I was very interested throughout the entire game. I don't care for the Patriots or the Giants.

As I told a Patriots fan this morning, it may not be an awesome game for a hardcore fan, but for people like me, it was interesting and fun to watch.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit
reply to Moorecards

I agree it was far from the best I've seen. But there were certainly some memorable plays as far as I'm concerned.
The perfect pass by Manniing to Manningham and a great catch between two defenders on the sideline while keeping both feet in bounds on the last drive is still fresh in my mind, for one.
The safety early in the game. (Not often seen with a deep pass to nobody like that), and the dropped pass by Welker. ( ), kind of stands out too...pretty rare for him when it really counted.

Like I said, not the best I've seen, but certainly memorable for me.
BTW...they were the only 9-7 team to win a Super Bowl...ever. (Along with some other 'memorable' stats).
--

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to drew

said by drew:

Marshawn Lynch beast mode earthquake-inducing run

On a side note, why does Seattle always steal other team's ideas for fan stuff? A few years ago, the Seahawks were touting the fans as the '12th man', which is a ripoff of Texas A&M. Now they're doing 'beast mode', which is a ripoff of the Milwaukee Brewers. What's next, 'where's the beef!'?
--
Dresden - I work in Accounts Payable.
Random Bad Guy - In what capacity?
Dresden - I make sure everyone gets what's coming to them.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to jabarnut

said by jabarnut:

BTW...they were the only 9-7 team to win a Super Bowl...ever.

They're a 13-7 team now. But yeah, the first 7-losses team ever to win the Big Bowl.

In retrospect, we should have seen the handwriting on the wall. The St. Louis Cardinals set the precedent for the year by being dead in the water a month before baseball season ended, then making the playoffs on the final day of the regular season, and then going on to win the World Series over a team that seemed to be their distinct superior, based on regular season play.
The Giants did virtually the same.

And how about that Madonna, eh? She can lip-synch right along with the best of them!
The music was piped-in, the vocals were piped-in. She only spread her legs once, and didn't roll around on the ground at all.
The dancers could have surrounded and then tossed about a cardboard cut-out of Madonna while doing the same show, and I think the entertainment value would have been roughly the same-- maybe even higher.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

In hindsight, the play that did it for me was Manningham's huge catch down the sideline.

That was the best play of the game. Viewed from sideline cameras it looked like a very difficult catch. Viewed from behind the QB it looked like a very difficult catch of a pass that was just about impossible -- dropped into an opening the size of a moving fruit basket 30 or 40 yards away. Terrific play.
--
hey Dale

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

Agree completely...wow!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0Q5I0vgS4

--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to Moorecards

And some people are sore losers

»www.nypost.com/video?freewheel=9···23569919

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit
reply to Moorecards

I just watched an interview with Eli Manning...Live from Disney World.
LOL.....they really DO go to Disney World?
He said unfortunately he can't go on any rides...has to get back to NY and get ready for the parade tomorrow.

»www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb···.1017781
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by jabarnut:

I just watched an interview with Eli Manning...Live from Disney World.
LOL.....they really DO go to Disney World?
He said unfortunately he can't go on any rides...has to get back to NY and get ready for the parade tomorrow.

»www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb···.1017781

Wait . . . .

He had time to fly to Disney World from Indianapolis, time to give an interview there, time to fly back to New York . . .

But no time to go on a single ride??

Err . . . Nope. Not buying that one.

Wuss.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

It's probably part of the NFL advertising contract that the NFL has with Disney that says the winner (or more likely, MVP) has to agree to be filmed at Disneyworld in exchange for some huge cash payment that Disney gives the NFL in exchange for the publicity.

Regarding the Gisele MBunchin-Brady clip... what did she say... I couldn't understand a word of it?
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit

I couldn't understand it either but they had the dialogue on the news. It was something like:
"They have to catch the ball". "My husband can't throw the fu**ing ball and catch it too".

(Edit) Yeah, here's one link I found in a search:
»www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/gisele-ri···ceivers/
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to rockotman

Yeah, I think Manning was in a parade at Disney World.

And tomorrow there's the parade through the "Canyon Of Heroes" for the team.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jabarnut

One picture in your link made me laugh my ass off:

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit

Hehe...yeah, I saw that.
I was just trying to look into the whole "Disney World thing"
Apparently it's a tradition that started back with Phil Simms? (From what I've found so far). And yes, I'm sure there is some sort of contract and major money involved.

I've heard it many times, but I'm not so sure I ever knew they actually went! Figured they just had to say it after the game and it was a done deal. Pretty lame tradition.

Looks like a lot of different athletes have made the trip down to parade around with "Mickey"
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_going_···y_World!
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

I thought the same thing... that they said the words on the field, cashed a check, and that was the end of it. I didn't know they held a parade.

The MVP car was pretty sweet though.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9AoWN4m···bedded#!

--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

What a life huh? Two time Super Bowl MVP now. Major money, cars, women...
I've got to tell you though. If I had a choice between being Eli Manning right now, but giving up the trophy I won here, it would be a tough decision.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

I believe you, really, I do...

It is a sweet trophy though. I'm going to get one some day, some day...

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

Hey, you were damn close this time. Tied for 2nd. Nice picks, Rook.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

Thanks.
Congrats again on the win.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

2 recommendations

reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

I believe you, really, I do...

It is a sweet trophy though. I'm going to get one some day, some day...

Just for Rook...

--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

Sweet! Congrats, Rook!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to rockotman

lol !!!!

It's the Turkey!!!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

3 recommendations

reply to Moorecards

I'd like to thank my keyboard for allowing me to type and stuff, and all the posters here who made this momentous event possible.

I'd also like to thank Rockotman for his creative trophy design.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken