how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mfratella

join:2012-01-23
Chicago, IL

SBG6580 Bridge Mode

Last April, after doing some research, I decided that the SBG6580 was going to replace my modem and old pre-N router. Within the past month or so, we've had to reset it several times a day for both the wireless and wired. When the wireless does work, the range is horrible. Motorola is sending us a new one, but we've decided to go with an ASUS router.

My question is: Can I just run an ethernet cable from the SBG6580 to the new router? Or do I need to put it into bridge mode? If I do need to put it into bridge mode, how would I do it, and why would I need to?

Thanks.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

There is a way to put an SBG6580 into bridged mode however since I don't have one to look at the menus and in the lab we always did it via SNMP I am not sure if it's easily changeable.

You would want to put it into bridged mode to have it act as a standalone modem instead of a gateway where it handles DHCP and NAT/Wireless for your devices.

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX
reply to mfratella

19 threads below yours lies the answer: »SBG6580 Bridging

The last post is the easiest way.

jlachowin

join:2008-05-29
Milwaukee, WI

Does anyone know why my SB6580 doesn't work in bridge mode? I enable Rg PassThrough and/or disable NAPT mode, reboot the modem, and I cannot connect to the internet. I have the SB6580 going to a Linksys WRT160n. Help

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

Don't reboot it. Unplug it from the power for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in with it connected to the router.