share rss forum feed

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to banditws6

Re: [Spam] SMS spam from 271-40 - Reply STOP or ignore?

Don't respond. Contact your carrier and see what they can do. If you're not on an unlimited SMS plan, you may be able to at least be credited for them. Some carriers allow you to block third-party charges to your number, as well as from-Internet texting. (Blocking from-net will also block SMS from services/businesses you may actually want such as traffic or banking alerts, so take that into consideration.)
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

freeze
I'm not even Greek
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Ohio
said by DC DSL:

Don't respond. Contact your carrier and see what they can do. If you're not on an unlimited SMS plan, you may be able to at least be credited for them. Some carriers allow you to block third-party charges to your number, as well as from-Internet texting. (Blocking from-net will also block SMS from services/businesses you may actually want such as traffic or banking alerts, so take that into consideration.)

I still think banditws6 See Profile should at least send STOP. and then DEFINITELY call his/her carrier.

Here's a DSLR news article about this type of billing scheme.

»AT&T, Verizon, Jawa Make Millions From SMS Scams?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

The reason to NOT reply is that most of those are blind-blasts from the Internet...no idea whether the numbers are live or not. Replying is like replying to email spam: It confirms that the address is live. Once that happens, there's no telling what kind of crap deluge is going to happen.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."