All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Harry Drake
@cox.net

Harry Drake

Anon

[FL] 300' of run. Was qouted $1800. Can I do this run myself?

I have been attempting to get an line run to my house for over 6 months. There is a pole on my property that has the cable run to it. From that poll my electricity goes underground and runs roughly 300 feet to my house. Could I just buy 500 feet of RG 11 and bury it from the telephone pole to the back of my house where my meter is and then call cox to hook it up? Would I need more than just rg11? Thanks for your help and time

Harry drake
@bellsouth.net

Harry drake

Anon

Re: [FL] 300' of run. Was qouted $1800. Can I do this run myself

Just to claify, I have had a cox engineer come and make a bid and if I sign a five year contract it is only 1800. The engineer told me that the pole next to my well has cable run to it. He said that they would have to build it back to my house, but I am pretty sure he just meant run a line. I know they have to obtain easements and other hassles, so it takes awhile and cox charges you pretty hard for it. I have two hands and a shovel, not to mention tons of digging experince, so I figured I could dig it in myself and just buy 1000' of comscope rg11 direct burial off eBay. I basically want to know if this plan does the same thing cox is going to do. Are they just going to come out and run a ditch witch down my property, put some rg11 in and cover it up and hand me a 1800 dollar bill?
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

With that long a run, I believe you will also need a two way amplifier.
With that in mind, I see no reason why you could not run underground cable to the pole on your property. You might ask Cox what cable type they are planning on running. There are lower loss (and more expensive types than RG 11)
In some areas this would be a candidate for a fiber drop.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
Search around the forums and you'll find that you're not the only one to consider a DIY approach here. In fact, I seem to remember one guy who bit the bullet and installed his own cheap cable, only to find that it was completely useless (the cable company wouldn't touch it), because you need special cable and probably other ancillary equipment in order to handle a run as long as his was. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it may cost considerably more than you think it will.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to Harry Drake

Premium Member

to Harry Drake
said by Harry Drake :

I have been attempting to get an line run to my house for over 6 months. There is a pole on my property that has the cable run to it. From that poll my electricity goes underground and runs roughly 300 feet to my house. Could I just buy 500 feet of RG 11 and bury it from the telephone pole to the back of my house where my meter is and then call cox to hook it up? Would I need more than just rg11? Thanks for your help and time

Are you looking to use them for TV and phone as well? or just internet? It would be easy for internet, just get a pair of wireless panel/radio integrated units and call it day.

Harry Drake
@cox.net

Harry Drake

Anon

I was just looking for internet. I don't know much about this stuff, and I have no idea what your talking about I am going to google it, but are these expensive? Would the cable company put them in? Thanks again for your input.

Fubar16
join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ

Fubar16 to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
If it truely is only 300 feet. AN RG11 drop would work fine.

But remember the line cannot trespass on anyone elses property.

Plus, here if it was truely a 300 foot bury Cox would do it here free of charge (included in the install)

The $1800 and 5 year contract quote makes it seem there is a lot more to it than a 300 foot bury...

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur to Harry Drake

Premium Member

to Harry Drake
said by Harry Drake :

I was just looking for internet. I don't know much about this stuff, and I have no idea what your talking about I am going to google it, but are these expensive? Would the cable company put them in? Thanks again for your input.

Actually pretty cheap. Ubiquiti makes some nice products. Nanostation Loco M2's would work well. You just need a cabinet to put the cable modem and Loco M2's POE device in.

There's multiple ways you could do this as well. Fiber media converters, powered switches and just go ethernet.

It can be done, but just takes a bit of social engineering to get Cox to put the cable connection at the remote location. A camper trailer works well to convince them. From there you hang the cabinet on the pole and set things up from there. You will need to run power out to the cabinet as well, but it a cable modem and Ubiquiti radio doesn't pull much.

Harry Drake
@cox.net

Harry Drake

Anon

First off, thanks again for the responses guys, its really appreciated. Ok, so I did an exact measurement, its 306 feet. So I am trying to understand the layout of how to use the loco M2.

l l
l l
Pole
So I build a weatherproof box
and install here. In it goes the
cable modem and the Loco M2.

300feet

House
Inside my house I have the little black box that had an Cat-5 out that goes to my computer.

Do I have this right?

Fubar16
Phoenix, AZ

Fubar16

Again, Why $1800 for 306 feet?

I would Call Cox back again... Unless that pole does not have a Tap at it Cox should so this free of charge with the Install...

Here is a diagram of a Tap:

»www.annsgarden.com/telec ··· raps.JPG

Harry Drake
@bellsouth.net

Harry Drake

Anon

I don't know for sure if there is a tap, I was under the impression there was one from talking to the engineer. I will go inspect and re post. I personally couldn't believe they won't just put it in for free. I have gone to the local offices here in Gainesville 6 times to try and get this going. Each time they tell me that it could be cheaper with a contract and that I need to talk to the engineer. I then talked to the engineer and he said I had to talk to the office. I went back in forth about 3 times then threw my hands up in the air. I then used my company to call cox and see if the business part would come run a line and they quoted me the same thing. It seems insane not to just hook me up and start taking my money, but they have made it basically impossible to do so.
Harry Drake

Harry Drake

Anon

Ok I have walked out and checked and there is a tap above my poll. It doesn't have any of the the drops or traps on it, but there is a tap with a line running to it. As far as calling them back, I have had the engineer out to my property no joke 3 times, the last time I even took off work to come meet him and try to talk him into doing it. He just kept saying he would submit the bid. I have talked to the manager at the local office, a Mrs. Bartee, but to still no avail. It felt kinda ridiculous going in there the 6th time saying all the same stuff to the same person, and she pretty much gave me all the same answers. I know that if I knew the right person this would all be done, but I don't. In the mean time Bellsouth continues to make money off me providing the worst internet I personally have ever encountered. Disconnects anytime it thunders, never downloading faster than 70kbs no matter what, etc. I need Cox's help!!!

Fubar16
Phoenix, AZ

Fubar16

Will you register here?
Harry Drake
join:2012-01-24
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

Done
popper
join:2006-05-30
Baton Rouge,

popper

Maybe you could get an estimate on this from a local electrical contractor or two for comparison (for the burial from pole to house).
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

I am intrigued by the idea of using the loco m2. I have been doing some reading, but there are still things I don't understand. So I install the loco m2 on the pole where my internet is coming in. I install my weatherproof box on the pole and put my cable modem in it. I run a cat-5 cord from the modem to the back of the loco m2 and seal around the cord where it comes out of the box. I am now broadcasting my signal across my property. I go into my house that is 300 feet away and put what? This is where I don't know, is there something else I need to purchase to receive the signal? Do I need to do something to protect my signal from being used? I have a router in my house, can this pick up the signal? Also, it appears this way, but I have to ask. This is going to be able to handle a 15 Mbs connection right? Its not going to be slowed down by weather or anything is it?

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by Harry Drake:

I am intrigued by the idea of using the loco m2. I have been doing some reading, but there are still things I don't understand. So I install the loco m2 on the pole where my internet is coming in. I install my weatherproof box on the pole and put my cable modem in it. I run a cat-5 cord from the modem to the back of the loco m2 and seal around the cord where it comes out of the box. I am now broadcasting my signal across my property. I go into my house that is 300 feet away and put what? This is where I don't know, is there something else I need to purchase to receive the signal? Do I need to do something to protect my signal from being used? I have a router in my house, can this pick up the signal? Also, it appears this way, but I have to ask. This is going to be able to handle a 15 Mbs connection right? Its not going to be slowed down by weather or anything is it?

If you have another router on 2.4ghz already and maybe a few other neighbors around I would suggest a the M5 that runs at 5.8ghz. You would put another Loco M5, like mounted under you eave pointed at the pole. You would run them in Station WDS and AP WDS mode. This would basically be like hooking up a long CAT 5 to your cable modem, except the radios would be in the middle.

Hop on over to the Ubiquiti forums at their site, there's quite a few people over there that could help you and explain everything you need.
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

Ok cool. I have done just that and it all makes sense now. I didn't realize it was a line of sight. I really can't thank u enough for your help. I am going to order the stations tommorrow and give cox a call. I will post and let you guys know how it's going.
Harry Drake

Harry Drake to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
Ok so I have ordered the nano m5's and they should be in on Thursday. I built a two by two foot "shed" out of t1-11 and put a shingle roof on it . I installed this shed on a four by four pole next to the telephone pole. I ran electricity to the shed and wired in a socket. I then called cox and they came to install. They kind of laughed at my setup, but said they would install if I grounded the "shed". I am installing a ground today and will be calling them back. So it looks like this is going to work... I will update after cox installs and throw some pictures up when the nanostation arrives. Thanks everyone again for your imput.

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by Harry Drake:

Ok so I have ordered the nano m5's and they should be in on Thursday. I built a two by two foot "shed" out of t1-11 and put a shingle roof on it . I installed this shed on a four by four pole next to the telephone pole. I ran electricity to the shed and wired in a socket. I then called cox and they came to install. They kind of laughed at my setup, but said they would install if I grounded the "shed". I am installing a ground today and will be calling them back. So it looks like this is going to work... I will update after cox installs and throw some pictures up when the nanostation arrives. Thanks everyone again for your imput.

Nice! Would love to see plenty of pics when you get it going. If you need some help with the Loco's let me know, but they are pretty easy to figure out. Just remember to see them in WDS modes.
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

So today cox is going to come install my modem at 3. I am super excited . My nano stations came in last night and there is one thing I don't really understand. I got the M5's upon your advice. There is a little black box that came with the stations. Now I can see that it is a power supply and that it has the two outs: PoE (power over Ethernet I believe) and Lan. I know that this is a newbie question, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Where does this go? Does is install out in my modem box? Then do I run an Ethernet from my modem to the Lan spot? Then I run an Ethernet from PoE to my nano up on the pole? Is that what I do? Thanks in advance for the info, and I will be taking pictures today when I get home.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley

It sounds like you have a Power over Ethernet (PoE) injector....pretty common stuff for powering APs

just place it inline between the Cable Modem and your Access Point to provide Power over Ethernet to the Access Point
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

to Harry Drake
Ok cool that's what it seemed like. Thanks for your info! Waiting for cox to show up now....
MacSto
join:2011-07-26
Newton, NJ

MacSto to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
Good luck, excited to see some pictures!

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur to Harry Drake

Premium Member

to Harry Drake
Click for full size
said by Harry Drake:

So today cox is going to come install my modem at 3. I am super excited . My nano stations came in last night and there is one thing I don't really understand. I got the M5's upon your advice. There is a little black box that came with the stations. Now I can see that it is a power supply and that it has the two outs: PoE (power over Ethernet I believe) and Lan. I know that this is a newbie question, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Where does this go? Does is install out in my modem box? Then do I run an Ethernet from my modem to the Lan spot? Then I run an Ethernet from PoE to my nano up on the pole? Is that what I do? Thanks in advance for the info, and I will be taking pictures today when I get home.

I hope did your reading at Ubiquiti's forums. The POE adapter "injects" power into the CAT5 cable on one port. The POE port goes to the Loco M5. The LAN will go to the cable modem.

Also with the short distance you'll probably have to turn the transmit power down on both sides to prevent over saturation of the radios.

I've attached a picture of a bridge setup. This is one behind the router so yours is going to be different but you get the point.
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

Thanks for the diagram! I love pictures, I am a super visual learner. The modem was installed yesterday without a hitch and the guy from cox was a really cool dude. Today when I go home I get to install my Loco's and see how it all works. I am a little intimidated by the setup process but I have found if you never give up and find some nice people on the internet anything can work The nano stations came with no documents so I downloaded the manual from their website. It seems pretty technical, but I think I get the idea. I have taken a few pictures and I have also down a speed test on my slow dsl just to feel the joy when I see that new speed. BTW my speed tests were 600k dl, 270k upl.
Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
Ok so I set everything up the way it shows on the diagram but still no Internet. I have the nanostations setup as 192.168.1.21 and 192.168.1.22 and I can see them no problem with my laptop. I know the modem is on the Internet and I tried resetting it. My laptop says its connected but isn't. I have tried with the laptop set to auto obtain ip and set with a static ip of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.3 and others. I know I am close, just missing something small. Do I have to set my modems ip address? I have the stations configured exactly as the picture shows. I'm not sure what else to try.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

make sure your computer and router IP is set to auto or dynamic

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur to Harry Drake

Premium Member

to Harry Drake
said by Harry Drake:

Ok so I set everything up the way it shows on the diagram but still no Internet. I have the nanostations setup as 192.168.1.21 and 192.168.1.22 and I can see them no problem with my laptop. I know the modem is on the Internet and I tried resetting it. My laptop says its connected but isn't. I have tried with the laptop set to auto obtain ip and set with a static ip of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.3 and others. I know I am close, just missing something small. Do I have to set my modems ip address? I have the stations configured exactly as the picture shows. I'm not sure what else to try.

You aren't going to have it just like the graphic. I said yours would be a bit different. That graphic is for bridge to another computer behind your router. Yours is different. You are bridging between your cable modem and router.

Tell me more about your setup in your home and let's see if we can get this going.
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

Ok so this weekend I got the whole setup going! I have my 25 Mbs connection into my house! I would have never gotten it working without your guys help, thanks so much. I will post the promised pictures when I get home tonight so you guys can see what I wired up. The problem I was having was I didn't have a router between the modem and the Loco M5. Anyhow thanks again and check back tomorrow for some pictures