Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Harry Drake

join:2012-01-24
Gainesville, FL
reply to digiblur

Re: [FL] 300' of run. Was qouted $1800. Can I do this run myself

So today cox is going to come install my modem at 3. I am super excited . My nano stations came in last night and there is one thing I don't really understand. I got the M5's upon your advice. There is a little black box that came with the stations. Now I can see that it is a power supply and that it has the two outs: PoE (power over Ethernet I believe) and Lan. I know that this is a newbie question, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Where does this go? Does is install out in my modem box? Then do I run an Ethernet from my modem to the Lan spot? Then I run an Ethernet from PoE to my nano up on the pole? Is that what I do? Thanks in advance for the info, and I will be taking pictures today when I get home.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
It sounds like you have a Power over Ethernet (PoE) injector....pretty common stuff for powering APs

just place it inline between the Cable Modem and your Access Point to provide Power over Ethernet to the Access Point

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
reply to Harry Drake
Ok cool that's what it seemed like. Thanks for your info! Waiting for cox to show up now....

MacSto

join:2011-07-26
reply to Harry Drake
Good luck, excited to see some pictures!

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to Harry Drake
Click for full size
said by Harry Drake:

So today cox is going to come install my modem at 3. I am super excited . My nano stations came in last night and there is one thing I don't really understand. I got the M5's upon your advice. There is a little black box that came with the stations. Now I can see that it is a power supply and that it has the two outs: PoE (power over Ethernet I believe) and Lan. I know that this is a newbie question, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Where does this go? Does is install out in my modem box? Then do I run an Ethernet from my modem to the Lan spot? Then I run an Ethernet from PoE to my nano up on the pole? Is that what I do? Thanks in advance for the info, and I will be taking pictures today when I get home.

I hope did your reading at Ubiquiti's forums. The POE adapter "injects" power into the CAT5 cable on one port. The POE port goes to the Loco M5. The LAN will go to the cable modem.

Also with the short distance you'll probably have to turn the transmit power down on both sides to prevent over saturation of the radios.

I've attached a picture of a bridge setup. This is one behind the router so yours is going to be different but you get the point.

--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
Thanks for the diagram! I love pictures, I am a super visual learner. The modem was installed yesterday without a hitch and the guy from cox was a really cool dude. Today when I go home I get to install my Loco's and see how it all works. I am a little intimidated by the setup process but I have found if you never give up and find some nice people on the internet anything can work The nano stations came with no documents so I downloaded the manual from their website. It seems pretty technical, but I think I get the idea. I have taken a few pictures and I have also down a speed test on my slow dsl just to feel the joy when I see that new speed. BTW my speed tests were 600k dl, 270k upl.

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
reply to Harry Drake
Ok so I set everything up the way it shows on the diagram but still no Internet. I have the nanostations setup as 192.168.1.21 and 192.168.1.22 and I can see them no problem with my laptop. I know the modem is on the Internet and I tried resetting it. My laptop says its connected but isn't. I have tried with the laptop set to auto obtain ip and set with a static ip of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.3 and others. I know I am close, just missing something small. Do I have to set my modems ip address? I have the stations configured exactly as the picture shows. I'm not sure what else to try.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
make sure your computer and router IP is set to auto or dynamic

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
reply to Harry Drake
said by Harry Drake:

Ok so I set everything up the way it shows on the diagram but still no Internet. I have the nanostations setup as 192.168.1.21 and 192.168.1.22 and I can see them no problem with my laptop. I know the modem is on the Internet and I tried resetting it. My laptop says its connected but isn't. I have tried with the laptop set to auto obtain ip and set with a static ip of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.3 and others. I know I am close, just missing something small. Do I have to set my modems ip address? I have the stations configured exactly as the picture shows. I'm not sure what else to try.

You aren't going to have it just like the graphic. I said yours would be a bit different. That graphic is for bridge to another computer behind your router. Yours is different. You are bridging between your cable modem and router.

Tell me more about your setup in your home and let's see if we can get this going.
--

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
Ok so this weekend I got the whole setup going! I have my 25 Mbs connection into my house! I would have never gotten it working without your guys help, thanks so much. I will post the promised pictures when I get home tonight so you guys can see what I wired up. The problem I was having was I didn't have a router between the modem and the Loco M5. Anyhow thanks again and check back tomorrow for some pictures

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
said by Harry Drake:

Ok so this weekend I got the whole setup going! I have my 25 Mbs connection into my house! I would have never gotten it working without your guys help, thanks so much. I will post the promised pictures when I get home tonight so you guys can see what I wired up. The problem I was having was I didn't have a router between the modem and the Loco M5. Anyhow thanks again and check back tomorrow for some pictures

You really didn't need a router there. There are several different ways to do it. You could have used the router built into the M5.. or you could have just done the WDS thing and used the router in your house. But whatever way works for you.
--

popper

join:2006-05-30
Baton Rouge,
kudos:1
reply to Harry Drake
I must commend you on a job well done as well as keeping this thread updated.
One question, How was the shed fed power? How long of a run?
etc etc...

Thanks

MacSto

join:2011-07-26
reply to Harry Drake
Poke poke

Excited for these pictures!

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
You can tell I am ADHD can't you. Once I finally got my internet working I had to do the other house repairs I had promised to my girlfriend. :P Anyhow, today I will take the newest pictures and post them so you guys can see my setup.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
Im waiting for this too!
I scanned through the thread and am interested to find out how the Modem is powered and what cabinet was installed. Unless its an owned Sub Pole I didnt think it was allowed to install anything on them if you are not a Leaser.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

civicturbo

join:2009-11-08
USA
reply to Harry Drake
Good job! Would like to the pics promissed. You did great at this project!

Kilgore

@cox.net
reply to Harry Drake
With only 300 feet to span you could buy some media converters and bury a fibre optic Ethernet link between the cable modem and your house. It would only cost a few hundred bucks. That's how I run Ethernet to outbuildings on my property. Or you could even use unshielded twisted pair CAT6 with the addition of a switch somewhere in the line to extend it beyond 300 feet. But at that distance I think fibre optic is the way to go. The most hassle and expense is digging the ditch, not the cost of the media converters, switches and fibre or CAT6. A hard wired link would also be more reliable than wireless. Please report back after a few months to let us know how well the wireless has worked out.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
said by Kilgore :

With only 300 feet to span you could buy some media converters and bury a fibre optic Ethernet link between the cable modem and your house. It would only cost a few hundred bucks. That's how I run Ethernet to outbuildings on my property. Or you could even use unshielded twisted pair CAT6 with the addition of a switch somewhere in the line to extend it beyond 300 feet. But at that distance I think fibre optic is the way to go. The most hassle and expense is digging the ditch, not the cost of the media converters, switches and fibre or CAT6. A hard wired link would also be more reliable than wireless. Please report back after a few months to let us know how well the wireless has worked out.

I mentioned that in one of my firsts posts but it looks like the OP went with wireless instead.
--

ependergrass

join:2007-07-21
Broken Arrow, OK
reply to Harry Drake
Wow impressive, heh. Yeah after reading through all this, 300 feet is probably doable with plain old ethernet if you do end up having any latency or reliability issues with the wireless. Run 2 sets of conduit, one for your ethernet and one for "future" use With good Cat6 I doubt you would have problems at exactly 300 feet. Then you can always hock the wireless equipment to recoup some money. Sounds like you've got it going nicely though! Can't believe the trouble it is to get a coax line to your house.

"When used for 10/100/1000BASE-T, the maximum allowed length of a Cat 6 cable is 100 meters (330 ft). This consists of 90 meters (300 ft) of solid "horizontal" cabling between the patch panel and the wall jack, plus 10 meters (33 ft) of stranded patch cable between each jack and the attached device. Since stranded cable has higher attenuation than solid cable, exceeding 10 metres of patch cabling will reduce the permissible length of horizontal cable."

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
said by ependergrass:

Wow impressive, heh. Yeah after reading through all this, 300 feet is probably doable with plain old ethernet ....

For that matter 300' is doable with cable.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
reply to Harry Drake
Ok so it took me forever, I know. I am a super slacker I couldn't figure out a good way to load the photos in their full size. So I shrunk them down and made a lil wix website. Tell me what you guys think! Thanks again for all your guys help. DSLReports and its memebers get a huge thumbs up from me. Here is the link:
www.wix.com/harrydrake/internetbox

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
ok this was a fast way I thought I could get the pictures up. I am noticing they are pretty small and makes it hard to see the details. The pictures from my camera were huge so I had to shrink their size. If someone is interested in seeing in more detail and knows how to do this better feel free to drop me a clue. anyone that has any questions or needs help with a similar setup feel free to hit me up as well, I will do what I can to help.

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Harry Drake
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Ok so I was informed that you can just upload the picks on this site and they make thumbnails out of them. So a few things you can note is there is a blue temporary cord coming out of the box to my nano. I am waiting for some shielded cat 5 to show up to do my final run on that. Also the nano at the box is just propt in a tree as its final resting place will be on the pole. Not to beat a broken drum, but thanks again for everyone that helped!!

AnonGuy

@cox.net
Are you going to weatherproof that box?

That door does not look to seal very well.

And Belkin routers are junk!

If you start seeing problems that would be the first thing I would replace!

Harry Drake

Gainesville, FL
for the most part it is. I used silicone to make all the joints sealed. Because I live in Florida it gets 100 degrees in the summer. I figured it would be best to leave some of the box able to breathe. (kinda like an attic) As for the belkin I could agree more. It was an extra router I had that someone gave me so I just threw it in there. If you notice the access point in my closet is a cicso

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79

1 recommendation

100 degrees in the summer could be another interesting problems to overcome. I've had somebody call in for support in our area where it got up to 95 degrees and they kept their modem/router in the attic and were wondering why there were problems.

dn0

join:2005-07-05
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Harry Drake
Looks good Harry. You would be surprised how much a modem can take. I have set test modems in power supply cabinets and even inside amp housings on the strand for months at a time without failure. Granted the big ps cabinets have vent fans, but any tech knows that on a hot summer day they still get very very hot inside. I say if its protected from the driving rain, then all should be good, maybe just add a simple vent fan before the summer heat arrives to be safe.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
reply to Harry Drake
Love the mount in the tree Redneck all the way.

Yes I would highly recommend the vent. Like I said before I would have done it as transparent bridge and not even needed the router in the outside cabinet.

What is the splitter in the cabinet for? Was the signal too hot?

Excellent work!!
--

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
reply to Harry Drake
would RG 11 run the distance?

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
said by jchambers28:

would RG 11 run the distance?

That depends on the distance from tap to that location and the levels at the tap

the 300' run will loose a bit more than 11db at 870Mhz for RG11 and a bit more than 18db for RG6