Search similar:

uniqs
Harry Drake
join:2012-01-24
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake

Re: [FL] 300' of run. Was qouted $1800. Can I do this run myself

Ok so it took me forever, I know. I am a super slacker I couldn't figure out a good way to load the photos in their full size. So I shrunk them down and made a lil wix website. Tell me what you guys think! Thanks again for all your guys help. DSLReports and its memebers get a huge thumbs up from me. Here is the link:
www.wix.com/harrydrake/internetbox
Harry Drake

Harry Drake

ok this was a fast way I thought I could get the pictures up. I am noticing they are pretty small and makes it hard to see the details. The pictures from my camera were huge so I had to shrink their size. If someone is interested in seeing in more detail and knows how to do this better feel free to drop me a clue. anyone that has any questions or needs help with a similar setup feel free to hit me up as well, I will do what I can to help.
Harry Drake

1 recommendation

Harry Drake to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Ok so I was informed that you can just upload the picks on this site and they make thumbnails out of them. So a few things you can note is there is a blue temporary cord coming out of the box to my nano. I am waiting for some shielded cat 5 to show up to do my final run on that. Also the nano at the box is just propt in a tree as its final resting place will be on the pole. Not to beat a broken drum, but thanks again for everyone that helped!!

AnonGuy
@cox.net

AnonGuy

Anon

Are you going to weatherproof that box?

That door does not look to seal very well.

And Belkin routers are junk!

If you start seeing problems that would be the first thing I would replace!
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

for the most part it is. I used silicone to make all the joints sealed. Because I live in Florida it gets 100 degrees in the summer. I figured it would be best to leave some of the box able to breathe. (kinda like an attic) As for the belkin I could agree more. It was an extra router I had that someone gave me so I just threw it in there. If you notice the access point in my closet is a cicso

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

CoxTech1

100 degrees in the summer could be another interesting problems to overcome. I've had somebody call in for support in our area where it got up to 95 degrees and they kept their modem/router in the attic and were wondering why there were problems.
dn0
join:2005-07-05
USA

1 recommendation

dn0 to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
Looks good Harry. You would be surprised how much a modem can take. I have set test modems in power supply cabinets and even inside amp housings on the strand for months at a time without failure. Granted the big ps cabinets have vent fans, but any tech knows that on a hot summer day they still get very very hot inside. I say if its protected from the driving rain, then all should be good, maybe just add a simple vent fan before the summer heat arrives to be safe.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to Harry Drake

Premium Member

to Harry Drake
Love the mount in the tree Redneck all the way.

Yes I would highly recommend the vent. Like I said before I would have done it as transparent bridge and not even needed the router in the outside cabinet.

What is the splitter in the cabinet for? Was the signal too hot?

Excellent work!!

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to Harry Drake

Premium Member

to Harry Drake
would RG 11 run the distance?

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley

said by jchambers28:

would RG 11 run the distance?

That depends on the distance from tap to that location and the levels at the tap

the 300' run will loose a bit more than 11db at 870Mhz for RG11 and a bit more than 18db for RG6

chrisf8657
join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ

chrisf8657 to Harry Drake

to Harry Drake
I have to agree with AnonGuy and CoxTech 1, plus the installers that laughed at it - this is a BAD setup - completely amateur. You're looking at ALOT of problems down the road - not only with that free-dangling cable birds or squirrels, etc. can peck at and eat, and espicially with humidity and heat, not to mention water - none of that stuff is meant to run hotter than 100 or so degrees - it is not industrial equipment meant to be installed in cabinets - it's consumer equipment for the home environment of 65-80 degrees - normal humidity.

Sorry, but I'm sure others will agree.
dn0
join:2005-07-05
USA

dn0

Actually Cox refused to run a drop to his home without him paying $1800 for a feeder extension. He had them out more than once but they refused. He finally gave in and tried the approach you are seeing in the photos. Please read the entire thread before judging.
Been there, done that (modems in cabinets), a surprisingly many times (just maybe as an employee of the company in question) without failure. It will take a bunch of $40 modems and routers to add up to $1800 (minus the wireless equipment cost of course). I personally like it, he had to try something that they would accept.

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by dn0:

Actually Cox refused to run a drop to his home without him paying $1800 for a feeder extension. He had them out more than once but they refused. He finally gave in and tried the approach you are seeing in the photos. Please read the entire thread before judging.
Been there, done that (modems in cabinets), a surprisingly many times (just maybe as an employee of the company in question) without failure. It will take a bunch of $40 modems and routers to add up to $1800 (minus the wireless equipment cost of course). I personally like it, he had to try something that they would accept.

I plan on doing one similar to this as soon as his contract with satellite ends. We have a little farther to shoot though. So I fully agree that this is an awesome job.
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

Thanks for the love guys If you read thru the post you will see that the blue cord running to the tree is a temp cord as I was waiting for the shielded outdoor cord to arrive. It is now run in conduit and mounted on the pole. I haven't had one disconnect and haven't seen and speed issues yet. The total cost of the job was right under 300 bucks, so I saved $1500 doing it this way. Not to mention, they were willing to do it for 1800 if I signed a 5 year contract! Also they wanted me to add phone which I would never use. So I saved the $1500 and didn't have to sign any contract. I am slowing working on making my outdoor modem box a more suitable long term place. I am installing two computer fans in the side, but I am working on figuring out how to not compromise the seal too much while doing so. It took owning my house for almost 2 years to get rid of the DSL that had a 80kbs download. I had bellsouth techs out more than 5 times. They knew it was the cord run to my house, they just didn't want to dig so they kept saying it was in my house. I got a new modem, wall jack, and eventually I replaced all the lines in the house. Even with all new hardware on my end, they still said the slow speeds were from something in my house. I tried from the first day I moved in to coax cox into running me a line and letting me pay them. They had no intrest in helping me, so I tried to do something myself and it worked pretty well. I would highly recommend this application to anyone in a similar situation.
Harry Drake

Harry Drake to digiblur

to digiblur
Ya the signal was too strong. Had to bring down the attenuation. I also wanted to personally thank you digiblur. You were the one most responsible for developing this plan and making me feel like it was something I could do. Thanks again

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

I have to say this thread is awesome. Rather then get upset on what Cox was going to charge you, you rolled up your sleeves and did it yourself. That is some American spirit right there! You rock Harry. And if he has problems with it, so what? Since he built it himself whom better to troubleshoot it? Its all about the consumer taking some responsibility for the quality of their digital life. I wonder if BBR has a DIY section?

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur to Harry Drake

Premium Member

to Harry Drake
said by Harry Drake:

Ya the signal was too strong. Had to bring down the attenuation. I also wanted to personally thank you digiblur. You were the one most responsible for developing this plan and making me feel like it was something I could do. Thanks again

Not a problem. Glad you were able to get it working.

I'm curious to see the screenshots of the signal pages on the radios with that link. Did you have to back off the signal power to prevent it from being too "hot" as well? If I remember right from the Ubiquiti guys you don't want more than -45 or so with like -55 or so being a sweet spot. -80...ehh....not so much.

Not sure if you mentioned this but how did you get AC power to the box? Did you have to run it all the way back from the house?
Harry Drake
Gainesville, FL

Harry Drake

I will hit the screenshots when I get home. I don't know much about signal strenghs, but my speed tests have been right where I want them. We even had a huge storm the other day, rain coming from every direction, and the signal didn't skip once. As for the power, I got really lucky that. My water well is out by the power pole. The well has its own power pole that you can't see in the pictures. I just threw another breaker on the wells breaker box, and ran a line to my modem box. This did make the job way more fees-able. Without having power out there, I would have to had to run a line from the house and that wouldn't have been cost effective.

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

Ahh...now the power makes sense! I was thinking you had to run the power from the house. The wireless solution fit perfect then.