koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

Adapter won't see 5GHz band - Play N600+

We have a laptop with as Atheros AR928X wireless adapter and a Belkin Play N600+ router.

The router has dual bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz

Other computer can detect & run on both bands.

One ASUS laptop with the Atheros adapter can only pick up the 2.4 GHz band. It can run on that band either in 802.11 G or N mode and can get the N-type speeds (e.g., 132 Mbps) in N-mode.

However, we're having problems with our 2.4GHz band where routing gets very slow at times using any of the computers. (We'd like to fix that 2.4 GHz band, but put that on the back burner for now).

So we'd like to get this ASUS with the Atheros card to be able to connect on the 5GHz band as well.

Can it be done?
--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

I am not familiar with the Atheros AR928X wireless adapter -- so my question is --- are U sure that the Atheros AR928X is 5Ghz capable? IF it is capable then there is some obvious incompatibility with the N600+ --- and if that is the case call up Belkin support and see if there is a fix for this issue.

If the Atheros AR928X is not 5Ghz capable then you are sweet out of luck connecting at the 5Ghz band.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle

I (now) think the adapter may not work with 5 GHz. Thanks.

How would I know which replacement adapters would fit into the machine?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by koam:

How would I know which replacement adapters would fit into the machine?

I would suggest that you consider the Play N600 Wireless USB Adapter

That would be a lot easier to work with and cheaper versus replacing the card built-into your laptop.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think that something sticking out of the computer would be an issue. The computer is moved around a lot, so we'd want an internal card that does both bands....I'm trying to figure out if there are different "sizes" of the ports/bays/slots that these things go into, I guess.