spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sheridan
join:2008-10-26
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

Setting DNS servers in router....

I have a Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router I am trying to set the DNS servers to something other then what my ISP prefers me to use (Centurylink), after reading the manual several times, I have yet to discover where to add this info to the router. This router will switch between connections such as an a cellular connection if the other connection fails. I see an area where I can add them for the air card but not for the router itself. If anyone has this router and knows where to add the info, I would be greatly indebted.
MODS: Please move to appropriate forum if this is not the one!

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Did you call cradelpoint directly?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to Sheridan

MVM

to Sheridan
Click the basic tab>>>>wan>>>>dns

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

Click for full size
This is a screenshot of tht area, everywhere I try to enter them it asks for my modem details to to save it.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by Sheridan:

This is a screenshot of tht area, everywhere I try to enter them it asks for my modem details to to save it

Why can't you enter the modem details?

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

I may be confused but that section says "cellular" details at this point I am not using a cellular modem for the fail over. I currently not using anything for the fail over.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The wired wan section has the same dns options as the cellular section

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

I enter the DNS servers in the wired section and then it asks for a valid MTU, I enter one then click save. It does not save, usually it will progress the top part of the screen in to a timer waiting for the save to take place.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Without you revealing more info about what is used and how the internet connection is made.........

My suggestion is that you manually set the dns info on each device

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

Connection is DSL PPoE with the modem handling that, I really want to set the DNSservers to thoseother than my ISP preference.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Ok....then the settings in the picture are ok
dynamic ip(dhcp) and mtu 1500

It should be as simple as selecting use the following dns servers and entering the ip's and clicking the save settings button

Does the router work as it should with the default dns settings

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

It does work as it should in all other aspects, I just want to enter different DNS servers, but it won't save them. I will call Cradlepoint directly and ask why this is not happening, then post the results of that call.
DS1192
join:2010-07-16
La Crosse, WI

DS1192 to Sheridan

to Sheridan
I have an MBR-1000. Firstly, make sure you update your firmware to the latest version, as there was a specific update in the past that changed the GUI a bit to make it clear where you enter the DNS addresses.

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

I have the latest firmware but still confused, when I enter it it refuses to save maybe I am entering it into the wrong area, Cradlepoint says to reinstall the firmware update and try again...have done that no luck!

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Sheridan

MVM

to Sheridan
Have you tried putting the DSL modem in bridge mode and having the Router make the PPPoE connection? I would recommend this, even if it does not solve your DNS issue. Usually, when using PPPoE, your MTU needs to be 1492 or lower.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to Sheridan

MVM

to Sheridan
What is the make and model number of the dsl modem it may be able to force the dns ip's you want used

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

Cradlepoint MBR-1000

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The mbr1000 is the router.....
I asked what is the make and model number of the dsl modem

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

..sorry westell E90-6100 revision H

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The 6100 vc configuration page has entry fields for dns ip's
If you post a picture of any of the 6100 configuration pages I may be able to assist you with finding the vc configuration page

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

ok great....so what you are saying is to enterthem into the modem rather than the router............i will gather the screenshots shortlyand post....

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Yes the modem is doing the pppoe so specifying dns ip's on the modem is a option
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

I have explored every aspect of my MBR-1000, I will upload some screen shots on where to enter them.

Sheridan
Sheridan, MI

Sheridan

Thanks
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

2 edits

1 recommendation

DS1192 to Sheridan

to Sheridan
Click for full size
First update your MBR-1000 to firmware 1.9.0.

Now go to the "Basic" tab, and click "WAN" You would enter the settings under the "Wired WAN Settings". Here is a screenshot above. It's hard to read but the very bottom of the page is where you enter the DNS addresses.

Then after you have entered them and re-booted, the router will still assign clients connected to the router with a DNS address of 192.168.0.1 because the router uses "DNS Relay", the addresses you entered will still be used, 192.168.0.1 is just the address the router uses to provide all clients on the router a single address.

Now to check that you are absolutely 100% using the DNS addresses you entered, go here. »www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

Test button is on the bottom, the test will run, and after it will list the addresses that you are using. Hope this helps.