spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Baldkilla
@rr.com

Baldkilla

Anon

[TV] recording to a disc

I have the Cisco 8742HDC DVR. I have an output going to my Panasonic DVD recorder. I tried to play back from the DVR and record it to a disc and a message popped up and said "can't record the info" or something like that. All I know is that it won't record. IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT ?
Baldkilla

Baldkilla

Anon

I forgot to say I was from Deltona, Florida. If that matters or helps.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Baldkilla

Premium Member

to Baldkilla
It's telling you that because of DRM restrictions.

Cisco Kid
@rr.com

Cisco Kid

Anon

Is this something NEW on the 8742? I have recorded off the 8642 with no issues. I don't have any Premium channels...HBO, etc....so I have only recorded shows off network channels......Fox\ABC, etc.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Baldkilla

Premium Member

to Baldkilla
Nope nothing new. Modern DVD recorders have the ability to know if you are attempting to copy or record content that DRM restrictions. We have no control over that...sorry.

Cisco kid
@rr.com

Cisco kid

Anon

What has always puzzled me, you can record direct to a PVR or VCR (for those of us that still remember or have one of these)....with no issues.. Go Figure!

Baldkilla
@rr.com

Baldkilla

Anon

I guess I will have to try record when it is playing live. Thanks for the info.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to Baldkilla

to Baldkilla
This standard has been around for quite a while so you won't really find some devices that have it and some that don't. You will find some stations and shows the do it and some that don't though.

The majority of PVRs are a closed system you can't copy files off of (ie, the PVRs given out by the cable and dish companies are generally always locked from the customer accessing its files) so they arn't blocked from recording.

When the video leaves the PVR/Cable box it can have a number of DRM added to it. Todays main DRM is the one built into the HDMI standard. Your DVR is probably using an analog connection so it is probably getting signals from a v-chip.

There is no way around these really since your DVR adhears to one of the newer DRM standards. VHS machines do not have v-chips, but they had their own types of DRM like macrovision. DVD players actually added macrovision to its analog outputs to prevent transfering to VHS as well.

Baldkilla
@rr.com

Baldkilla

Anon

A little more info.
I have my cable box connected to my tv with an HDMI cable and a 2nd set of outputs(rca cables) to my DVD recorder. Maybe I will try the Coax output from the DVR to my Panasonic DVD recorder. Will it still recognize the protection that way ??? I had Dish network for 3 years and didn't have one thing that I couldn't re-record from my Dish DVR to my DVD recorder. Humm. I will keep tryin or I will try to record it live and see what happens.

Cisco Kid
@rr.com

Cisco Kid

Anon

That is how I have my PVR connected.....the Cable line comes in...splits....one line to PVR the other to the cable Box. I have recorded "Live" Unscrambled programing many times........with no issues.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to Baldkilla

to Baldkilla
said by Baldkilla :

I guess I will have to try record when it is playing live. Thanks for the info.

There are plenty of solutions out there that will allow you to filter out restrictions and allow you to record. Nobody in any official capacity with a cableco will tell you this because of potential issues with the content providers.

Monoprice.com has some of the least expensive ways to do this. There are better, more expensive hardware solutions out there too.
mogamer

mogamer to Baldkilla

to Baldkilla
said by Baldkilla :

A little more info.
I have my cable box connected to my tv with an HDMI cable and a 2nd set of outputs(rca cables) to my DVD recorder. Maybe I will try the Coax output from the DVR to my Panasonic DVD recorder. Will it still recognize the protection that way ??? I had Dish network for 3 years and didn't have one thing that I couldn't re-record from my Dish DVR to my DVD recorder. Humm. I will keep tryin or I will try to record it live and see what happens.

The Dish Network dvr's have all outputs hot at the same time. I have a 722K and have recorded the last two Wrestlemanias onto dvd!