SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3

1 edit

The Houston __________?

New Houston Astros owner Jim Crane recently announced a few changes such as lowering some ticket prices, relaxing food policies (fans may now bring their own food and water to games) and cheaper beer ($5 domestic)! Other changes being considered are new uniforms, altering the playing field and "Tal's Hill" in center field and, last but not least, changing the team's name.

Story here and here.

Needless to say, lowering ticket prices, relaxing food policies and cheaper beer are things we all can embrace. And, honestly, I was never a big fan of their present uniforms. I don't suggest going back to the rainbow uniforms, but a uniform change wouldn't upset me. However, when it comes to changing the team name, I think a lot of people would draw the line, myself included. Granted, Houston is no longer the "Space City" it once was thanks to cutbacks in the space program. The team no longer plays in the Astrodome and Astroworld is a distant memory. But, changing the team name is, in my view, totally out of the question.

What say you?

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

I like Houston Jalapeños from the article in Houston Press.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to SandShark

Changing the name of the team is the stupidest idea ever lol. They are too well known by that name.

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to SandShark

After almost 50 years why change the name? I think most of Houston, including those that never watch any sports nor attend any sports games would be upset. Houston still has an identity of a space town, and that will never go away. New uniforms are always OK for any sports team, but why change the name of the team?
--
Team Discovery

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

reply to SandShark

They should keep the name but I find it difficult to want to spend money to watch a losing team even though I agree 100% with the price drops.
Also why change the name I don't really see what they will try to accomplish other then perhaps marketing but they just need to win to have more people to show up to the games.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

Whats next renaming the rockets?

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

said by DarkLogix:

Whats next renaming the rockets?

How about changing the Astros to Houston Houstonians and changing the Rockets to the Houston Harris Countiers?
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

I think the Houstonian Road Ragers is a good idea. They could have a mascot of a guy with a red face flipping you the bird or something
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

I think that would be better suited to the Texans (you know a big group of angry guys ready to rage at you, while in a traffic jam)

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to SandShark

It seems that new owner of the Astros received so much feedback from fans that he is not changing the name. Now he needs to find coaches and players that will be champions!
--
Team Discovery

brhalltx
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

said by marti:

It seems that new owner of the Astros received so much feedback from fans that he is not changing the name.

That's exactly why he did it; to get attention.