uniqs

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

sprint coverage changes - Oklahoma and Kansas

Click for full size
»support.sprint.com/suppo ··· 2Bkansas

Appears that sprint is about to eliminate coverage in lower populated areas in Oklahoma and Kansas... if you are in these areas (or travel there alot) you might be able to avoid an ETF if wanting to leave sprint.

The data roaming they include with mobile broadband plans is 300 megs per month... so plan accordingly if you are in one of the areas that vanish on this map

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

They took a chunk out of Texas too.

Ya know, in Texas...This looks very much like the independent roaming partnerships they lost (but renegotiated) during the NexTel bork up back in 2005/2006.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

2 edits

dib22

Verizon

Cricket

US Cellular

Att
I actually think Texas gains roaming coverage if the sprint maps are correct.

I'm wondering who the roaming partner they are picking up is... verizon, cricket, us cellular, some other player?

Here are some maps for any who might be wondering what will fill the gap.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to dib22

to dib22
doesn't let you out of your contract if you travel into that area. Coverage can change and your ETF states that.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by 25139889:

doesn't let you out of your contract if you travel into that area. Coverage can change and your ETF states that.

It will eventually. You see sprint "fires" customers who use more than 1/2 of their minutes on roaming for several months in a row. Same for users who use more than 300MB of data in roaming areas.

So if they refuse to cancel with no ETF just continue to use the service until they "fire" you as a customer, when they "fire" their customers they don't charge a ETF and give you 30 days to transfer your number out (on voice service)

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
They are losing one of their affiliate networks in that area. I believe that particular network has struck a deal with verizon.

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT to dib22

to dib22
said by dib22:

Yeah...It gain's 3G coverage, where it's been 1XRTT from Verizon.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by WHT:

said by dib22:

Yeah...It gain's 3G coverage, where it's been 1XRTT from Verizon.

Not to split hairs but 1XRTT is a 3G standard. Should say it gains EVDO coverage.

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

Click for full size
I'll rephrase it then. Sprint's speed in that area of Texas (and I was roaming on Verizon) was never better than 120 - 140 Kbps or so, still officially "3G" but in practice 2.5 G. (like GMRS). Now it looks like it may get up to 2.5 Mbps. But my service in Oklahoma will take a dive.