spc
Search similar:

uniqs

abitbent
join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

abitbent

[Express] Express & Extreme Get Speed/Cap Upgrade

This is a nice "pat on the back" article. Rogers doesn't "meet the needs" of Canadians at all... unless of course you are a shareholder.

Thanks for tossing us some crumbs Rogers...

»www.newswire.ca/en/story ··· et-plans
QL0G1C
join:2007-02-20
King City

QL0G1C

whats the point of upgrading speeds if they can't even handle what they have now. I don't get my extreme plus speeds at night, now it's just going to get worse
plebel
Premium Member
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON

plebel to abitbent

Premium Member

to abitbent
Oh, great. Rogers: HOW ABOUT AN UPGRADE TO THE UPLOAD SPEEDS??? A 28:1 ratio makes perfect sense, right? Wrong! Oh, and maybe you could think about rolling out IPv6 before the next century? Comcast is doing it, why aren't you?

Idiots.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones

said by plebel:

Oh, great. Rogers: HOW ABOUT AN UPGRADE TO THE UPLOAD SPEEDS??? A 28:1 ratio makes perfect sense, right? Wrong! Oh, and maybe you could think about rolling out IPv6 before the next century? Comcast is doing it, why aren't you?

Idiots.

1+

1Mbps upload speed in 2012 is like having dial up in 2011.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to abitbent

Premium Member

to abitbent
Speed increase for 'existing' customers is March 8th, AFTER the price increase. Sure, treat your loyal customers like shit. But give the new guy quick speed a month BEFORE you, and at a reduced rate. Thanks for pissing me off once again, Rogers. I don't need the 18 **#&$MB connection, I only download a couple Linux ISO a year (yes, real Linux ISO's), my #**# Netflix has reduced quality because of your GD'ed caps, you bastards. My Rogers bill is going up like $12 starting March 1...that's like 2% of my bill..bastards. over the course of a year, that's $144, that's like 3 tanks of gas for the car, a good 4 weeks of driving. Guess I'll just have to tell the kids that they won't be getting anything from me this year. Jerks.
J E F F4

J E F F4 to plebel

Premium Member

to plebel
You seen the upload on Express? like 400kb..what a joke.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

This quote ... with some other uses afterwards ... I think explains why download gets the speedboost, but not the upload ...

"Rogers customers are increasingly watching movies on Rogers on Demand Online ..."
puzz1ed
join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON

puzz1ed to abitbent

to abitbent
Upgrade is only for those with Docsis 3.0 modems.

Khicken
@cogentco.com

Khicken

Anon

Speed increases don't mean anything when Rogers throttles everything...

I mean how fast do you want to open your email?? Other applications are still throttled at this point..

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to puzz1ed

to puzz1ed
said by puzz1ed:

Upgrade is only for those with Docsis 3.0 modems.

I think that's more Rogers BS to get us to run out and buy a new D3 modem. I'll bet a dime to a dollar D2 modems will work at 18 Mbp\s just fine.

dauthiatull
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
Toronto, ON

dauthiatull to abitbent

Premium Member

to abitbent
my d2 modem which was suposed to top out at 10 mb is running just fine on the current 12 mb profile

my downloads max out at 1400Kb/s even torrents.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

I think that's more Rogers BS to get us to run out and buy a new D3 modem. I'll bet a dime to a dollar D2 modems will work at 18 Mbp\s just fine.

Of course they do. Rogers even had an 18/1 setting, for those areas that weren't D3 capable when they first introduced 25/1 tier a few years ago.

On wholesale ISP like Acanac/TekSavvy they've even made 24/1 tier work on D2 modems.

It's just that with a single channel, more local node congestion issues may impact you. That's the only downside.

dauthiatull
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
Toronto, ON

dauthiatull to abitbent

Premium Member

to abitbent
my loop isnt that bad but thinking of trading in this modem soon anyway. had it for more than 6 years so i expect it to esplode eventually.
ptscon
join:2009-02-21

ptscon to abitbent

to abitbent
When is this supposed to go into effect?

I'm seeing 28Mbps on my Extreme right now.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to abitbent

Mod

to abitbent
Yes, DOCSIS 2 modems will work at speeds up to about 30Mbps ... BUT ... the problem comes if there are two of you on the same frequency channel with a D2 modem on your cable segment, you're gonna share that 30 Mbps ... depending how the packets arrive at the CMTS for delivery down the cable. Now bear in mind that there are lots more than just 2 modems on a cable segment on the same frequency, you're gonna share that 30Mbps amongst many people if they all have packets queued up at the CMTS.

So, with D3 modems with 4 frequencies bonded the total available speed is now about 120 Mbps ... so you can have 4 simultaneously downloading users at 30 Mbps before they notice congestion or 10 Express users. etc.

So, if you want the speeds, then you need the modems to avoid congestion.

Gandharva
@reliablehosting.com

Gandharva

Anon

What about the earlier thread about increased upload speeds? Does this announcement mean all hope is lost for faster uploads? I've been holding out on upgrading from Express to Ultimate until they clearly advertise the rumoured faster upload speeds, hopefully 10Mb/s.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Gandharva :

What about the earlier thread about increased upload speeds? Does this announcement mean all hope is lost for faster uploads? I've been holding out on upgrading from Express to Ultimate until they clearly advertise the rumoured faster upload speeds, hopefully 10Mb/s.

They've said its coming to the GTA first - not all areas will get it tho. Its apparently a multi-year project.
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to abitbent

to abitbent
News release said Rogers will be rolling out the speed upgrades starting Jan 26th. Anyone seeing the new speeds?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Considering people in aurora have been having speed consistency problems, something tells me that they've started rollout there
ptscon
join:2009-02-21

ptscon to bbhog

to bbhog
I'm in west end of Mississauga seems like I got it few days ago.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to Gandharva

Anon

to Gandharva
said by Gandharva :

Upload speeds on ultimate is 10mb/s if it's available in your area. Rollout is very limited right now.