wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to jimkyle

Re: [Wired] DHCP to WinXP Pro system

said by jimkyle:

Yes, I'm using the static.sbcglobal.net address on the router login, but have not power cycled the modem itself

Ok thanks for confirming that the static login works
said by jimkyle:

I HAVE had the router disconnect and reconnect, but got no change to the assigned address -- it still points to the "gateway" (7th of 8) address in the block

This is normal and expected because you have a static ip block....If you change the router login username to @sbcglobal.net the router will be allocated a dynamic public ip address

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

said by wayjac:

This is normal and expected because you have a static ip block....If you change the router login username to @sbcglobal.net the router will be allocated a dynamic public ip address

Nope, it's getting exactly the same IP address with either login string, and the assigned gateway is also the same. Adding "static" makes no difference at all. Either string is accepted, but that's the extent of its working.

I've also got some packet-loss issues that I'm pursuing with David in SBC Direct; they might possibly be related...
--
Jim Kyle

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by jimkyle:

Nope, it's getting exactly the same IP address with either login string, Adding "static" makes no difference at all. Either string is accepted

The behavior you describe is not what I would expect
The -S package you have appears to work differently than the -S packages in my area, but if the public ip the router is allocated is always the same and is within the public ip block that is ok

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by wayjac:

said by jimkyle:

Nope, it's getting exactly the same IP address with either login string, Adding "static" makes no difference at all. Either string is accepted

The behavior you describe is not what I would expect
The -S package you have appears to work differently than the -S packages in my area, but if the public ip the router is allocated is always the same and is within the public ip block that is ok

Once again, AT&T proves that it is not really a monolith. In this area, a static IP block account is no longer required to add "static" to the login (although it I guess it is possible that they have changed back to that old rule since my retirement). The DSL router's WAN gets a dynamic IP address from the PPP server, and the customer must configure the LAN side of the router to use the static IP block addresses (either directly, or with 1-1 NAT).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower