how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bigpaddy_Irl

join:2005-12-12
Ireland

[Equipment] Trunk Port on d-link manaed switch

Hi Guys, have any of you have experience with the d-link des 3226 switch on setting up a trunk port.
I am trying to trunk back to another managed switch (mikrotik) but I am clueless as to how I set the trunk port up on the d-link?

Do I use the aggretation feature on it?

TIA

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
Aggregation might be to combine two ports together to create a higher bandwidth link.

Is there no mention of trunking, VLAN, 802.1q in the config or (I assume) web interface?

The other possibility is that it doesnt support it (it is D-Link....)

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
The spec sheet says it's one of their fully managed L2 switches but as you said "It is a D-Link" lol. That said, the spec sheet does list 802.3ad link aggregation support. That is what you need need to find in the web interface. Also I believe both sides need to support the same type of link aggregation but I think 802.3ad is a standard so that shouldn't be an issue. As for actually configuring it, sorry I do not know as I've never used that switch.

Bigpaddy_Irl

Ireland
reply to TomS_
There is no mention of trunking, no.
But there is a mention of egress port, would this be a "trunk" port?
No preoblem of setting up vlans per port, but no mention of trunks.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Looking around, ingress and egress ports are part of the VLAN system so no. I'm afraid I can't be of a whole lot of help in pointing you to the correct menu option but maybe this can: »www.manualowl.com/m/D-Link/DES-3···?page=92

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to Bigpaddy_Irl
Are we talking VLANs or link aggregation here ... ?

Bigpaddy_Irl

Ireland
We are talking VLAN's here. I dont think this switch can do VLAN trunking, would this be possible for a switch not to do VLAN trunking?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
Managed switches normally do. Maybe its referred to under a weird name so it doesn't stick out obviously. Best bet is to find the manual and see what it says.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to Bigpaddy_Irl
You never mentioned VLANs at all in the beginning. I linked the manual to you, you should be able to scroll through it and find whether or not it does what you need. Since you are throwing VLANs into the mix with trunking, the egress port is likely what you need based on what I read about it.

Bigpaddy_Irl

Ireland
I mentioned trunking at the start so obviously I was referring to vlan's.
Anyhow,,,,I finally got it working.
When I was setting up the VID's, I had to select the "untagged" check box for the approperiate port, and when I was setting up the trunk port I had to select the "tagged" check box for that port.
Very very confusing and the manual and other forums do not mention it, it was really trial and error today.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Err no. Trunking can be done without VLANs but regardless you got it fixed and that's all that matters.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
Can you explain your interpretation of the meaning "trunk"? Ive only ever know this to refer to VLANs.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
802.3ad Link Aggregation, also known as trunking, NIC Teaming or NIC Bonding. I do see that in the context of VLANs, "trunk" refers to a single link carrying multiple tagged VLANs (in all honesty I thought this would be supported natively without the need for specific port assignments).

I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about VLANs (and do want to learn) but I still maintain the OP was not specific about VLANs. While I attribute it to not knowing what feature D-Link calls it, the mention of aggregation further sways me to think it was about 802.3ad and not VLANs.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
reply to Bigpaddy_Irl
We are a cisco shop, so when we need cheap switches we will go used 2950-24, which can be had for under $50 each. Tried using some managed netgears before but those are now getting replaced with these 2950's because even older used cisco's are still pretty good.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
2950's are nice and yeah you can get them pretty cheap, cheap enough you wouldnt bother with support contracts - just back up your configs and VLAN database and keep some spares. My last deployment had 2950-24T's almost everywhere. I used to put 2950G's in customer sites where we ran fibre as a manageable CPE (since we tended to run fibre at gigabit speeds, we could also use it to deliver multiple services to the same site.)

3550's are also nice, being L3 capable and all. You can stick them somewhere in the middle of your network and give yourself a multi-multi-multi port ethernet router (though IPv6 is a bit sucky, no hardware support for it).

There was one or two sites where I used 2960's, principally because they support MTU of 1600 bytes on fast ethernet ports (along with the routers I was using), and when youre trying to run MPLS this is important (you can guarantee your customers a 1500 byte IP packet even after you stick your MPLS headers on the front \o/). 2950's are stuck at 1500 bytes which just aint working.

Therefore, 2950's were relegated to the access layer where MPLS wouldnt run, only PPPoE and IP access where > 1500 MTU wouldnt be a requirement.

3550s support MTU up to 1546 IIRC? I had all of this written down in a document back at my previous employer. I spent several weeks testing all of my gear to see what it could do, and to workout what minimum hardware and software models/versions I would need for any given deployment.